• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RedWingsJunkie

What about Nils Ekman?

Rate this topic

I know everyone wants a "big, tough" player, but sorry to say at least in free agency there aren't any left. Ekman isn't tough, but he's had a couple very solid seasons for San Jose before being traded to Pittsburgh. The Wings have stockpiled Swedes why not add another? He is bound to come pretty cheaply too, he had a rough year with Pittsburgh I would figure he wouldn't get anymore than maybe $1 million. He's had a couple 20 goal seasons and I think he would fit in very nicely with all his fellow countrymen.

Here's a link for his stats:

http://tsf.waymoresports.thestar.com/thest...player.cgi?1913

Edited by RedWingsJunkie

nope, we need to get big.

I understand the "big" thing, but one guy is not going to make the whole team big. Bertuzzi didn't do it and none of the guys left as free agents are going to do it. I know Ekman isn't Bob Probert or Cam Neely, but he has some talent and he could thrive playing with all the other Swedes. If the Wings could sign him for $1 million or less and he scored 20 goals next season I don't think many people would be complaining.

I understand the "big" thing, but one guy is not going to make the whole team big. Bertuzzi didn't do it and none of the guys left as free agents are going to do it. I know Ekman isn't Bob Probert or Cam Neely, but he has some talent and he could thrive playing with all the other Swedes. If the Wings could sign him for $1 million or less and he scored 20 goals next season I don't think many people would be complaining.

Im tired of seeing our guys get manhandled and cheapshotted.

Im tired of seeing our guys get manhandled and cheapshotted.

after what pronger and neidermayer did to holmstrom, it made me just sick how noone did s*** after words, just looked the other way. On my team if someone did that to one of my teammates even if i was in the pentaly box already i would jump over the boards and kick the living s*** out of them. And i wouldnt expect anything less from any team that plays hockey period. We need someone someone to settle the scores here in detroit, i completley agree

I'd hate to say it but maybe we need to trade guys like sammy and lebda and huds for some bigger NA players, that can play but also throw down if need be. The draft was a start when we drafted 4 NA players, lets get a couple more here that can play for the Wings right now.

I like him, and would be willing to give him a shot on Detroit. I think this is a good time to pick up a few underrated players, since all the big namers are gone (which is probably for the best anyways).

Anson Carter is a pretty big guy and puts up decent points. I'm suprised nobody has mentioned him. Sure, he's inconsistent, but if he'll play for cheap enough, why not?

Jeff Friesen had a terrible yr with Calgary, but he used to be able to light it up. Maybe it was a fluke yr.

Bondra, Lindros, Patrik Stefan, Nedved, Ozolinsh, Mike Comrie, Fedotenko, Peca, ect..

I wouldnt mind having any of those guys (for 1-1.5 mil or less), and they are still all open. Sure, alot of them had some bad yrs the past few yrs, but that just means they are probably available for cheap, so if they don't work out, it isn't much of a loss.

There are still lots of options.

As for the "big" thing.. which popped into the convo as I was typing.. You can put any caveman into a pair of skates and have him pound the crap out of people. Yea, we need a guy who can throw a few hits and watch out for our top guys, but the more important thing right now is finding some legitimate point scorers.

As for the "big" thing.. which popped into the convo as I was typing.. You can put any caveman into a pair of skates and have him pound the crap out of people. Yea, we need a guy who can throw a few hits and watch out for our top guys, but the more important thing right now is finding some legitimate point scorers.

Amen to that. :clap:

If somebody wants a goon then Chris Simon and Matthew Barnaby are available. It shouldn't be just about getting even with somebody. The Wings have a talented team that is not that far away from bringing another Cup back to Detroit. Losing Lang, Bertuzzi, Calder and Schneider hurts the offense. Ekman isn't the "goon" answer, but the team needs offense and he can provide some at a reasonable cost. McCarty is available the Wings could bring him back for $500-750K most likely.

Granted the Wings team is not a bunch of pukes, but you don't have to have a bunch of pukes to win. Anaheim beat Detroit because Detroit's defense was not the same group that started the playoffs. The Wings hung tough and they out hit Calgary and San Jose and both those teams were suppose to eat Detroit alive, didn't happen. This team is tougher than some give it credit for being.

Why is it that every time someone mentions our size deficiency, the conversation immediately swings to the topic of goons? We don't need cavemen on skates -- no one is saying otherwise. But we do need some size and muscle.

Ekman might be able to put up a decent points total, but I'd rather wait and see what other options present themselves -- and hopefully some of those options are big guys who can put up respectable numbers.

What one player is going to stop all that from happening?

No one player is going to stop all that from happening.

But Holland needs to start building a team that is big and tough enough to stop that from happening. Year after year, no moves are made in that direction.

Why is it that every time someone mentions our size deficiency, the conversation immediately swings to the topic of goons? We don't need cavemen on skates -- no one is saying otherwise. But we do need some size and muscle.

Ekman might be able to put up a decent points total, but I'd rather wait and see what other options present themselves --and hopefully some of those options are big guys who can put up respectable numbers.

That's exactly what I wonder. Every time a need for size is mentioned, it always turns into some asinine reference to Brad Norton.

Nils Ekman would be going three shads of grey the wrong way. A small, swedish forward is the last thing this team needs. The fact that he is also coming off probably one of the worst seasons in his career (34 games with Pittsburgh, 6 goals, 9 assists for 15 total points) while being a healthy scratch for nearly every game down the stretch is also a major turnoff.

There are better options then Ekman. Pass.

Why is it that every time someone mentions our size deficiency, the conversation immediately swings to the topic of goons?

Why do we need size? The taller/bigger the player the better? Of course not. So, obviously the reason is for protection. Protectors = enforcers = goons. As far as I'm concerned they are practically synonymous. You aren't going to find a 40-50 point guy who can really help protect our younger guys. If he scored those numbers then you wouldn't always be willing to risk the suspensions and injuries that come with the physical play. You seem to want all of our problems solved with one single player (is superman a FA?). Sign 1 or 2 decent offensive players and then get a goon for cheap that can grind on the 4th line (ala McCarty).

Well, based on your link alone:

ASSETS: Is very quick and shifty. Has good overall skills on offense and a strong defensive background. Can line up on either side of center.

FLAWS: Must avoid getting knocked off the puck regularly. Needs to prove he can put up points on a consistent basis.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Third line winger.

Sounds like it's a big NO.

Honestly, the Wings don't need to get people just for the sake of it. We do have some prospects who could use the roster space. This seems to be shaping up as a prime season for the Wings to actually allow the young players a chance to get some decent minutes and develop instead of waiting until they're 26 to get a decent roster spot. This trend of not putting young kids not named Feds or Fischer on the roster in any significant way is likely impeading the development of our best prospects. I wonder if someone like Z or Dats would be even better right now had they started playing in the NHL at 18 or 19... Obviousl I know less than 1% of what Holland and the scouts know about hockey, but I'll still wonder about this stuff out loud.

Maybe not rushing prospects into the NHL is the best idea 90% of the time and that's partially why the Wings have such sucess drafting low.

Chances of me liking Ekman? Nil (what else?!)

Hey, what'd I say about puns?

Why do we need size?

Um...because it's important?

Size and strength allow for more than mere goonery. Sustaining a forecheck; disrupting the opposition's cycle in your zone; mixing it up in front of the net; creating more breathing room for your smallish, Lady Bing-winning star who needs all the space and time he can get -- these things are a lot easier when you've got guys like Penner or Vanek in your lineup.

That's not to say I think the situation is "power forward or bust!" Certainly either of those two would do wonders for the Wings, but at this point I'd be happy just to land two second-tier big guys who will play with an edge and put up merely respectable numbers.

So no, I'm not looking for "Superman." I'm looking for the general manager of an undersized team to do the logical thing and make the team a little bigger -- or at least less undersized.

Edited by Dabura

Just big isnt worth it at this point.

That's why I didn't say we need big guys just for the sake of saying we're bigger.

We do need a natural goal-scorer. But throw a big body with good hands and fire in his belly into the mix with Datsyuk and Zetterberg, and the goals will come easier.

Guest DetroitIan

Honestly, I think Nils would work in our system. And Im itching for Kenny to sign someone so bad. I would not be opposed to having Ekman in the winged wheel. Although It would be nice to add atleast one tougher player. But beggars cant be choosers I suppose.

Well if Fedetenko went for almost $3 mil, maybe Ekman would cost to much anyway.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to add a few bigger guys, but first off the Wings are on a budget and second a ton of guys are already gone. But highly gifted offensive big guys don't grow on trees and they don't come cheap.

Edited by RedWingsJunkie

Why do we need size? The taller/bigger the player the better? Of course not. So, obviously the reason is for protection. Protectors = enforcers = goons. As far as I'm concerned they are practically synonymous. You aren't going to find a 40-50 point guy who can really help protect our younger guys. If he scored those numbers then you wouldn't always be willing to risk the suspensions and injuries that come with the physical play. You seem to want all of our problems solved with one single player (is superman a FA?). Sign 1 or 2 decent offensive players and then get a goon for cheap that can grind on the 4th line (ala McCarty).

They're nowhere near synonymous.

I've been saying it so many times lately I should make it my signature, but the Wings have lost a lot of size and toughness over the years that they haven't replaced. NOT GOONS, but big/tough players.

McCarty, Shanahan, Fischer, Lapointe, Ward, Kocur all the way back to Vladdy and Fetisov.

Fischer 6'5" 225 lbs.

McCarty 6'1" 215 lbs.

Shanahan 6'3" 220 lbs.

Lapointe 6'0" 200 lbs.

Ward 6'2" 200 lbs.

Fetisov 6'1" 215 lbs.

Hell even Dandenault was 6'1" 200 lbs and would occasionally drop the gloves and hit guys.

Big bodies, guys who were tough to play against, had a nasty streak, some who would drop the gloves. They were a big part of why the Wings won the Cup. They could take a beating and they could also dole it out. AND they could play the game.

The Wings have always had tons of skill, but in the Cup years they had team toughness.

Who do we have on the team that's like that now? Lilja? With the exception of Holmstrom, the few big bodies Detroit has play smaller than they are.

No one player will fix that, but year after year, no serious moves are made to regain what the Wings have lost in that department.

Edited by haroldsnepsts