• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Systemfel

Grigorenko Interview

Rate this topic

The only person i could see him living with would be Datsyuk, since he speaks russian and Igor's english is in his own words, "bad". There isnt any other russian born players on our team.

Igor is built like a tank (5'10" 215lb) and not afraid to use it. I doubt he'll go out of his way to run people like say Tootoo, but I doubt he'd pass up an opportunity to lay a lick on someone. Plus being as big as he is he won't be pushed around.

We have definitely toughened up without changing much but attitude and approach as evident by our success in our physical series' in the 07' playoffs, but we don't have many guys that focus on the physical game or that genuinely enjoy it and intimidate. This guy has that attitude, if he can deliver as well as he jaws we're set, the way he talks makes me smile knowing he's coming to our locker room. I'm Hopeful he can help re-prioritize the strategy of the goons that eye up Z and Dats year in and year out by getting them fitted for some nice porcelin veneers next season.

There is only one thing that worries me a bit.

The one thing that concerns me is his playing weight, these links will show you what I mean. At Red Wings Central he is listed at 209lbs, but at Russian Hockey Prospects he is listed only at 180lbs. Now for an athlete like himself a 30lb weight cut at that size is fairly easily made, I'm just wondering if he's trimmed down and plans to stay that way. Because as we all well know, a 5'10 180lb forward is on the average side, but a 5'10 210lb'er is built like a pitbull. Like yourself and many others, I was under the impression that we were getting the pitbull, but after reading this I'm worried they stopped feeding the pitbull and its turned into an angry collie. Frankly I'm more interested in his ability than his size, but a difference that big is kind of an eye popper when he talks about being physical.

I just don't want to see us with a potentially great player that injures himself trying to break people in half every time I turn around. Just think where Kronwall would be if his first few years had been injury free, I love his style but at his size he guarantees himself a shortened career and time off from injury doesn't make anyone better. Don't get me wrong a big guy can hurt himself too throwing hits out with wreckless abandon, but the smaller guy is alot more likely to end up on the short end of things.

Having aired that concern our scouting is solid, if they've got confidence in the kid then he's got my support.

Here's hoping we get the pitbull :beerbuddy:

Anyone know the word on his status once he comes over? I remember reading that if he doesn't make the big club he's likely going back to Europe, having no interest in playing in the AHL. Did I miss something, because it seems some people have Igor all but guaranteed to be a regular contributor here and playing decent minutes next season?

With the wave of ridiculous signings over the past week, large dollars for UFA's with long term commitments, Kenny has positioned the team perfectly to give all the young guys a chance to step up, make the team and execute. Should a couple not live up to expectations, then there will be cap room availible to tweak as required. This is a great strategy given the crop of UFA's availible next year.

Greg, Flip, Huds, Kop etc. have every opportunity to be forces on this team. I love the attitude each is speaking and judgeing from the "greg interview" he could assume a roll of a Doug Gilmore type player. The type of grit we need.

"I am prepared for physical hockey and do not experience any problems with it. Let them be scared of me over there. " :clap:

HELL YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:siren::siren::siren:

Anyone know the word on his status once he comes over? I remember reading that if he doesn't make the big club he's likely going back to Europe, having no interest in playing in the AHL. Did I miss something, because it seems some people have Igor all but guaranteed to be a regular contributor here and playing decent minutes next season?

AFAIK, you're right to ask this.

LOVE the man's aggro talk, but does he realistically have a good shot at walking ss a Wing this year?

Is this posturing?

i am really excited for this guy now. i really didn't hear much about him until now. he does sound like the Ovechkin type of player. hopefully that is what he turns out to be

Error in translation? :P

Did it seem to you like the interviewer was trying to sway his decision?

EH, your right, I think that the reporter was trying to scary Igor a little bit.

BRING ON THE PITBULL!!

We have definitely toughened up without changing much but attitude and approach as evident by our success in our physical series' in the 07' playoffs, but we don't have many guys that focus on the physical game or that genuinely enjoy it and intimidate. This guy has that attitude, if he can deliver as well as he jaws we're set, the way he talks makes me smile knowing he's coming to our locker room. I'm Hopeful he can help re-prioritize the strategy of the goons that eye up Z and Dats year in and year out by getting them fitted for some nice porcelin veneers next season.

There is only one thing that worries me a bit.

The one thing that concerns me is his playing weight, these links will show you what I mean. At Red Wings Central he is listed at 209lbs, but at Russian Hockey Prospects he is listed only at 180lbs. Now for an athlete like himself a 30lb weight cut at that size is fairly easily made, I'm just wondering if he's trimmed down and plans to stay that way. Because as we all well know, a 5'10 180lb forward is on the average side, but a 5'10 210lb'er is built like a pitbull. Like yourself and many others, I was under the impression that we were getting the pitbull, but after reading this I'm worried they stopped feeding the pitbull and its turned into an angry collie. Frankly I'm more interested in his ability than his size, but a difference that big is kind of an eye popper when he talks about being physical.

I just don't want to see us with a potentially great player that injures himself trying to break people in half every time I turn around. Just think where Kronwall would be if his first few years had been injury free, I love his style but at his size he guarantees himself a shortened career and time off from injury doesn't make anyone better. Don't get me wrong a big guy can hurt himself too throwing hits out with wreckless abandon, but the smaller guy is alot more likely to end up on the short end of things.

Having aired that concern our scouting is solid, if they've got confidence in the kid then he's got my support.

Here's hoping we get the pitbull :beerbuddy:

180lbs was his draft weight.

IPB Image

He's definitely 210lbs+ now.

IPB Image

On one of his Russian team sites he was listed at 98kg. That's 215.6lbs.

180lbs was his draft weight.

IPB Image

He's definitely 210lbs+ now.

IPB Image

On one of his Russian team sites he was listed at 98kg. That's 215.6lbs.

Ah yes, we ARE getting the pitbull. Thanks for clearing that up, now I can sleep a little easier, well maybe the sleeping will start once he gets his visa squared away.

From what I remember, if hes still playing in Grand Rapids by November 1st, hes free to return to his team in Russia.

I hope to God that he comes out, plays with a chip on his shoulder, scores goals, makes the team for the regular season and is good enough to play on the 2nd line and give us some extra punch. This is my hope right now!

And if he could inflict a career-ending hit on prick-Pronger, he would deserve Datsyukian dollars! :)

Looks like he won't be arriving until Mid-August :(

"Forward Igor Grigorenko will not participate in the current Wings' strength and conditioning camp for prospects. Immigration problems and a contractual problem with his Russian Elite League team will keep Grigorenko in Russia. Holland said Grigorenko will arrive in Detroit in mid-August."

- Detroit News

"Forward Igor Grigorenko will not participate in the current Wings' strength and conditioning camp for prospects. A source close to Grigorenko reports that he is being detained by U.S. authorities on suspicions of hockey terrorism. A high-level Homeland Security official has confirmed the report, stating, 'We have reason to believe that this man has every intention of inflicting great violence upon the National Hockey League, utilizing speed, scoring, muscle, and--most importantly--fear as his weapons of choice.' The official added, 'His recent public statement of intent [in which he expresses a desire to spread terror in the NHL] lends credence to our suspicions.'"

- Detroit News

:thumbup:

From HF

Talent Analysis

Grigorenko is a very gifted young player who possesses impressive offensive talent and likes to go on solo rushes and challenge the defenseman. He has great overall speed and is very quick on the skates and loves to make shifty moves at high speed. He is a very smart and creative player with the puck, although he sometimes tries to be too fancy instead of taking the simple pass. Although not possessing a rocket of a shot he still likes to use it in all possible and impossible situations which is a good sign for a future scorer. He is aggressive and has a bit of a mean streak which his penalty minutes over the last two years indicate. He still needs to get bigger and stronger to become more effective in his game.

Future

For now, Grigorenko has to finish this season with positive note and then

make a decision on what the next step will be. He can opt to stay in Russia

or sign a deal with the Red Wings and try to make the team out of camp in

September. He’s now a 24-year-old veteran of Russian hockey who is ready to

fight for a spot on the Red Wings. The team will most likely do what they

can in an attempt to sign him as they’re probably very eager to see what he

can do in North America. He projects as a solid third-line winger who has the

ability to step up and play on a scoring line in streaks.

he is going to flee the country :lol:

Grigorenko has problems securing the ENTRY visa into the US, from the American embassy. Are the US consular officials trying to make him cross the border illegaly through Canadian wilderness somewhere?

Grigorenko has problems securing the ENTRY visa into the US, from the American embassy. Are the US consular officials trying to make him cross the border illegaly through Canadian wilderness somewhere?

Isn't that a good idea? What is more impressive, Grigorenko stepping off an Air Russia plane, or emerging barbarously from the wilderness and a freshly killed deer in paw?

Let Grigs walk with the bears for a while. :sly:

Edited by Flip-check