• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

norrisnick

Wings re-sign Hudler to 2-year deal

Rate this topic

His size is going to kill him. He will be held ineffective in the playoffs when the game gets a lot more physical. That's generally how it goes.

I am upset about this, because he is not what the Wings need. He is not a top 6 forward, nor a player to replace the toughness that's been drained away over the years. At this point, it's a relativily useless signing in my opinion.

But, oh well. Everybody has their own opinions. We'll see what happens come next season.

because Brian Gionta, and Martin St. Louis are towers of Strength and height right?

Where are these minutes going to come from? Phoenix?

I'm thinking he'll take Lang's minutes.

If he did so well with so little minutes...what's NOT to say he won't do better with more minutes. Who cares about his size. I mean, sure we should get BIG players (oh..yeah...they just went bye bye) but that's not Hudler's fault. Nor does that mean we shouldn't retain him. He should have retained Bert AND Huddles, but I'll take what i can get.

His size was a bit of a factor in the playoffs...you know...those HUGE players that were doing the blatent penalties on him...but I can't help what the refs do either....mostly when you hold our players all down the ice, they don't score no matter who they are. The fact that he was ridden so tough by the competition kind of shows that he was a threat out there.

Edited by Offsides

Don't say "Should have retained" Bertuzzi. Bertuzzi is a dick. He didn't give the negotiations a chance in hell. He wasn't given a 2 year deal right away, so then he left all that much quicker. That's bulls***. He could have at least waited a week or so and continued to negotiate with Holland. If, at that point, it's still a disagreement, then yes, Holland might be at fault. But not after Bertuzzi decides to up and leave in only 2 days.

Don't say "Should have retained" Bertuzzi. Bertuzzi is a dick. He didn't give the negotiations a chance in hell. He wasn't given a 2 year deal right away, so then he left all that much quicker. That's bulls***. He could have at least waited a week or so and continued to negotiate with Holland. If, at that point, it's still a disagreement, then yes, Holland might be at fault. But not after Bertuzzi decides to up and leave in only 2 days.

We should have retained Bertuzzi. But I can see why we didn't....sometimes things aren't meant to be.

Bertuzzi is the man though :thumbup:

Do you honestly think Babcock will give him 15 minutes of ice time? I certainly dont , he might get 10 minutes thats about it.

I am saying he'll get minutes from Lang, but maybe not his full load.

But I do want to add that I think he could HANDLE a heavier load than he is getting.

Edited by Offsides

I'm not a big Hudler believer, but with the kind of talent he has, Jiri really does deserve a shot at a permanent position on one of our scoring lines. And considering the lack of secondary scoring we'll have going into next season, guys like Hudler and Filppula could really help us out.

No he could nah 'n should nah 'ave given kenny any more time... He was prolly told ONE YEAR IS ALL WE CAN GIVE YOU... regardless o' th' bounty he wanted more years... at that point ye know wha' th' win's offer 'n 'tis prolly a hard line answer fer them... Ye now 'ave t' cover yer owns arse 'n get yourself a job stat. afore they be all taken.

Ye say 1 or 2 days as if they weren't in constant communication all th' time... How do ye know thar was only 1 day o' discussion.. 'cause th' MEDIA says so?

Edited by OsGOD

This is good news no matter what u think of him. He'll get his minutes and either fit in or be traded towards something we need. Personally i think the kid will score 20 goals as easy as getting out of bed in the morning. The playoffs..well that will all depend on how they interpret the rules next season.

Edited by Pucks

Yeah, I am. But regardless, I still don't want him to play here.

As if the Wings don't get pushed around enough already, having a 5'9 centerman is going to rectify the situation. It won't. I know Holland hit the snooze button a few too many times (again) during free agency and missed out on the good names, but I still feel there are potential names that could go on the second line over Hudler.

But hey, that's just me. I've never been a big Hudler fan. Come playoff time, a player of his calibre is going to be relativly useless.

Who exactly did we miss out on that we couldve afforded?

Whether we need Hudler or not, we still only had 11 forwards. Im not sure why people thought we wouldnt sign him. Signing him was imminent. Theres not a better guy out there that we couldve signed and still had the money to get a legit top sixer as well as sign Hasek. Gelinas, Asham - these guys will cost around 1.5, and with the money left over, we wouldnt have had enough to get another forward. We need Hudler as trade bait anyways. Come trade deadline, who the hell do we trade? Kirk Maltby? a few more months of Samuelsson? More picks? If the kid can score 15 goals with crap minutes then he can score 20 with decent minutes. A cheap, young, 20 goal scorer is good trade bait. And if we dont trade him, its still not a stretch that hed be a 20 goal scorer by then.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

Who exactly did we miss out on that we couldve afforded?

Ryan Smyth.

I'm serious here too. Of the big names out there, I truly believe the Wings could have fitted Ryan Smyth in here, especially with Bertuzzi leaving (even though Smyth signed before Bertuzzi did, but still). I really believe it was possible for the Wings to sign him.

This is good news no matter what u think of him. He'll get his minutes and either fit in or be traded towards something we need. Personally i think the kid will score 20 goals as easy as getting out of bed in the morning. The playoffs..well that will all depend on how they interpret the rules next season.

:clap::clap:

Remember kids- Huddles has tons of PURE SKILL. So much that he makes up for his small frame. Show me the top 20 scorers with everyone over 6 feet and I'll admit small guys can't learn to play in the new NHL. But guess what? Small isn't a crippling factor, just a strike against you.

Hockey ain't Basketball. Talent and size aren't opposing qualities- one can have the former and not the latter while still being good.

Worst news I've read all day.Wings are getting softer by the day.

Yeah, this roster could never make it to the WCF and within 2 games of the SCF all whilst missing two of their top 3 D-men.

:rolleyes:

Yeah- we need a huge, tough team, like Calgary.

Good, I like the guy but he is too small to do what he needs to do. Here's to hoping that he proves me wrong.

I guess that depends on what you think he needs to do. I think he does what he needs to do just fine. I guess if he needs to get into fights, and be our enforcer...well, yeah, he's not doing what he needs to do, but I'd rather just see him be a great winger/playmaker and get things done...like he does...yep!

Ozzie's small, too, but if you turn your back on him he'll flip you. you can't underestimate the little guy.