• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
theman19

players off everyone's radars

Rate this topic

We alll know how Detroit has always seemed to have a knack for taking players who's career's seem to be over and making them stars. (see cleary from this season, or larry murphy from seasons past)

i'm thinking Holland is going to another dimension to find a Free agent. one that is probably going to makes us all uproar until he puts up 50 points.

Jason Allison's name has been batted around a bit and he would be a guy like i'm talking about. He's always put up good numbers but didn't play at all last year and is slower than dirt. (or as mack_attack put it, "i've seen tectonic plates move faster") But when the dust settles he's a guy we might get for nothing and come in a be reborn.

the other prospect i was thinking about, is definatly off everyones radar. Alyn McCauley. His Contract of two million was bought out by the kings making him a ufa. He never put up the kind of numbers people accepted of him but he's always been a solid two way player and we could get him for nothing probably. Only problem is his knee might be done.

There's also Dave Scachard. He's big but that's about it. If the Yotes buy you out,...you suck end of story.

Josef Vasicek provides exactly what the "grit" boys here want. At 6'5 215 he's got great size and can score. In 04' he actually led the hurricanes in scoring. He was bounced around after being signed by nashville off carolina, then when carolina traded to get him back, he was told he wouldn't be resigned. I think he's affordable and could be a star on this team.

Lastly, and probably most Knee jerk, LGW gut wrenching action, is Peter Bondra. Yes he played sub average on the blackhawks when they signed him, but who the heck wouldnt? If he has anything left in the tank at all he could be had for absolutely nothing. He also wouldn't be the first player the nhl gave up on, that we made a star again.

i dunno, this is just a "off in left field thread" But i really believe if we sign anyone else it'll be someone no one every thought would be here. We'll whine about it, cry about it, and then when he plays exceptionally well, we'll all say i told you so to no one in particular like we did with hasek this year.

Edited by theman19

We alll know how Detroit has always seemed to have a knack for taking players who's career's seem to be over and making them stars. (see cleary from this season, or larry murphy from seasons past)

i'm thinking Holland is going to another dimension to find a Free agent. one that is probably going to makes us all uproar until he puts up 50 points.

Jason Allison's name has been batted around a bit and he would be a guy like i'm talking about. He's always put up good numbers but didn't play at all last year and is slower than dirt. (or as mack_attack put it, "i've seen tectonic plates move faster") But when the dust settles he's a guy we might get for nothing and come in a be reborn.

the other prospect i was thinking about, is definatly off everyones radar. Alyn McCauley. His Contract of two million was bought out by the kings making him a ufa. He never put up the kind of numbers people accepted of him but he's always been a solid two way player and we could get him for nothing probably. Only problem is his knee might be done.

There's also Dave Scachard. He's big but that's about it. If the Yotes buy you out,...you suck end of story.

Josef Vasicek provides exactly what the "grit" boys here want. At 6'5 215 he's got great size and can score. In 04' he actually led the hurricanes in scoring. He was bounced around after being signed by nashville off carolina, then when carolina traded to get him back, he was told he wouldn't be resigned. I think he's affordable and could be a star on this team.

Lastly, and probably most Knee jerk, LGW gut wrenching action, is Peter Bondra. Yes he played sub average on the blackhawks when they signed him, but who the heck wouldnt? If he has anything left in the tank at all he could be had for absolutely nothing. He also wouldn't be the first player the nhl gave up on, that we made a star again.

i dunno, this is just a "off in left field thread" But i really believe if we sign anyone else it'll be someone no one every thought would be here. We'll whine about it, cry about it, and then when he plays exceptionally well, we'll all say i told you so to no one in particular like we did with hasek this year.

That was inspiring. And yeah, I could see it. The Wings make bad players look good.

some of our biggest players have been castoffs from other teams. The stories are legendary, we got Draper for a dollar from the jets. The Leafs couldn't give us larry murphy fast enough. Cleary was a ufa that no one wanted, i bet Jim playfair wanted him after he made his goalie look ridicioulous this playoffs (see my sig). The list goes on. To be perfecty honest, its when we sign the big free agent that worries me. Hatcher, Krupp, Whitney all guys who did nothing on this team. Some guys we sign big do well after they leave us, but off hand i can't think of one big free agent signing that didn't already play on our team at one point do much for us.

some of our biggest players have been castoffs from other teams. The stories are legendary, we got Draper for a dollar from the jets. The Leafs couldn't give us larry murphy fast enough. Cleary was a ufa that no one wanted, i bet Jim playfair wanted him after he made his goalie look ridicioulous this playoffs (see my sig). The list goes on. To be perfecty honest, its when we sign the big free agent that worries me. Hatcher, Krupp, Whitney all guys who did nothing on this team. Some guys we sign big do well after they leave us, but off hand i can't think of one big free agent signing that didn't already play on our team at one point do much for us.

all the more reason Yashin would fit with us great.

I've thought about yashin, honestly it's always mystified me that we don't have many russians on this team anymore. But with Grigs comming over and Dats on our team maybe Yashin could fit in better with some of his countrymen. Most people thought Jagr was finished pre lockout until they surrounded him with his own people.

Alot of castoffs end up being solid role player type guys. See Draper and even Cleary. But not too many provide top six forward scoring ability.

So the Wings need to focus on defence and goaltending. Sign Hasek and a rugged defencemen like Andy Sutton. 6M should cover it.

I have a good feeling about Grigorenko and Filpulla. Franzen will score 20 goals this year, and Cleary will play well given the minutes.

Hudler can work the 2nd PP unit, and put up some good regular season #s.

And there will enough cap space to get an impact winger at the trade deadline.

Also, keep an eye on the RFAs that go to abritration and are rejected by their respective teams. There might be some top 6 calibre players available.

Edited by rick zombo

Good Lord.... You just might be on to something there!!!!

:clap::clap::clap:

Although, if the Wings were to sign him or Asham, it'd give me even fewer reasons to go watch the Islanders. 'specially seeing how Blake is already gone.

Edited by e_prime

We alll know how Detroit has always seemed to have a knack for taking players who's career's seem to be over and making them stars.

I actually like the idea of Vasicek. Is it actually possible?

Also, all this talk about Yashin... could be a good fit. Plus, he's 6'3 218.

Edited by GoWings1992

Yashin kills organizations. It takes years for the organization to recover. Plus he sucks and hes lazy.

Guerin is the only top 6 guy on the market I'd want , at least he brings a little bit of grit.

Gelinas is another guy , we could use his leadership and his money playoff performances. Asham will be cheap AND SHOULD BE SIGNED.

I actually like the idea of Vasicek. Is it actually possible?

completly, he's a ufa. He was part of the deal that sent walker to the canes, and then the canes reaquired him for V. Vishnevski in a three way with atalanta. He'll go somewhere, he's far to big and skilled not too.

Yashin kills organizations. It takes years for the organization to recover. Plus he sucks and hes lazy.

Guerin is the only top 6 guy on the market I'd want , at least he brings a little bit of grit.

Gelinas is another guy , we could use his leadership and his money playoff performances. Asham will be cheap AND SHOULD BE SIGNED.

those guys are on alot of teams radars, the purpose of this thread is to talk about players that arn't.

Allison is extremely out of shape. He hasn't played in over a year, and survives souly on the PP. When he's playing even strength, he looks totally lost, due to his very slow foot speed. He's no longer an effective player at all in any stretch of the imagination.

McCauley is a center, which is not what the Wings need. Though I do admit he is a more attractive offer then Mike Comrie.

Scatchard would be a great fit if it wasn't for his injury last season. That, and he's a center. Still though, as a big, gritty guy who can score goals (27 goal scorer during the 2002-2003 season), and throw down the gloves, he is a pretty good option. I wouldn't mind seeing him come here.

Vasicek is an ok option, since he is big, has scoring potential, and isn't afraid to throw his weight around. Doesn't really fight a whole lot though, but he could still be a decent fit here. He could play the top 6 role if need be, and I like him a lot more then Hudler.

Bondra is clutching at straws to keep an NHL job. He's almost in his 40's, and injuries along with declining production don't exactly strike me as a good sign.

That was a very off in left field list there. Overall, my order would be this: Scatchard or Vasicek > McCauley > Bondra > Allison

Gelinas and Asham are not on alot of teams radars.

Sure they are, Asham i'll give you. But almost every winger starved team in the nhl is hoping Gelians has some more left in the tank. What i ment was people LGW havn't been talking about since free agency started.

Asham is on mine and your radars though. :P

mine too, i play a sim league based on the nhl 07 engine and went out and got asham for my third line. My team is totally kicking butt. Has nothing to do with my front line of Gagne,Staal,Havlat.......nope,......it's all asham.

Asham is on mine and your radars though. :P

Haha , I love the fighters , what can I say. Isbister , Asham , May , and Fedoruk were all on my radar. Also Sarich and Sutton. But I have the feeling Sutton is gonna want some $$$ that we dont want to give him.

But god , If Kenny misses out on Asham , Im gonna go CRAZY.

Haha , I love the fighters , what can I say. Isbister , Asham , May , and Fedoruk were all on my radar. Also Sarich and Sutton. But I have the feeling Sutton is gonna want some $$$ that we dont want to give him.

But god , If Kenny misses out on Asham , Im gonna go CRAZY.

Same here. I love fighters, and wish the Wings had more. I know I've been taking my licks here the past few days, but I still stand by what I said. Any one of those guys would be a major asset to the Wings.

I still say jermey Roenick... everyone things he will be retiring (as the same last off season) he is the perfect pick up for cheap and off the radar...

Come one kenny... Call 1-800-Hansons... GET IT DONE....

Spot On!

Same here. I love fighters, and wish the Wings had more. I know I've been taking my licks here the past few days, but I still stand by what I said. Any one of those guys would be a major asset to the Wings.

I doubt Murrays stupid enough to do it , but can you imagine if we got Neil and Mcgrattan , oh man. Throw in Asham as a FA signing and we'd be looking good grit wise. I still wish Kenny had done something , an offer to Torres or Penner , I want some grit damnit!

I would personally love to see Brad Winchester (Edmonton) on the team. I got to see a lot of him when he played for Madison, the kid has a lot of heart and would be really cheap. I could honestly see him score 15-20 goals a season plus he can play a grindinding/gritty game (6'5" 215lbs)

I would personally love to see Brad Winchester (Edmonton) on the team. I got to see a lot of him when he played for Madison, the kid has a lot of heart and would be really cheap. I could honestly see him score 15-20 goals a season plus he can play a grindinding/gritty game (6'5" 215lbs)

Is he UFA??? Get it done Kenny! :D