• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Johnny Diamonds

Would Jeff O'Neil be a good fit?

Rate this topic

Guest bullockz

no for o'neil, no for york, yes for hall but as a 3rd or 4th liner...we really need a 2nd line winger right about now.

Guest bullockz

how bout Trent Hunter? he's a RFA tho :( s***, islanders are letting their hole team walk why not one more?

I'm definitely not completely against O'Neill coming to the Wings and won't throw a hissy fit if he was with them, who the heck knows what will happen this upcoming season, but I just think he's tailed off ever since leaving Carolina.

With the remaining options, O'Neill would be one of my top picks. No more a gamble than Calder, who proved to be useless in the playoffs, for a bargain price, i'd give this guy a chance to make a name for himself again. The talent is there, he showed that in Carolina, and he isn't exactly close to retirement, unless he is in the Niedermayer family tree.

No to O'Neil....No to any of the remaining cast off's from teams that are sub par to were the Wings are now....No to basically any of the remaining UFA's.

Give the young kids a chance to perform. Save money on the cap. Tweak as needed through trades. Prep for next years crop of UFA's as there will be plenty availible and we will be in a great position to scoop the cream.

i would take jeff o 'neill , he wouldnt cost us much and hes got a nice shot , put him with datsyuk or zetterberg and i think he can get anywhere between 25-35 goals , he had 20 last year in an awful leafs team

we got what 7.1 left in cap room ??

1.5 to o'neill for 1 year

2.5 for hasek and that leaves us with 3.1 ........

sign chris simon to 1 year 1 mill deal ( big guy, intimidating prescence which this team desperatly needs and can still score 10+ goals a yr)

sign vitali vishnevski to a 1-2 yr deal at 2.1 per , or sign aaron miller to a one year deal worth 2 million

Edited by kindlwillbegreat

Problem for Jeff O'Neill is that he seemed to fade away just after he signed with the Leafs, & after his brother died in that auto accident...Just recently I read how he also has a fear of flying; not good if you're a Red Wing since they're on all those long flights out west.

Guess my answer is no for O'Neill.

Well stated.

I've been a fan of O'Neills since he was with the Guelph Storm. And I think he was still a very good player until his brother died. That seems to have taken a big chunk out of his game.

I do believe that he could contribute to this team given the right linemates and playing time. But I don't think the risk/reward ratio is leaning towards the 'reward' part too heavily.

I hope he can bounce back with wherever he lands.

Saying that, I don't think I'd be upset with any FA signing as long as their names aren't Lindros or Allison. Both are terribly useless in this stage of their career. Allison makes glaciers look like Pavel Bure.

Problem for Jeff O'Neill is that he seemed to fade away just after he signed with the Leafs, & after his brother died in that auto accident...Just recently I read how he also has a fear of flying; not good if you're a Red Wing since they're on all those long flights out west.

Guess my answer is no for O'Neill.

Damn, I didn't know these bad things. Those are very hard to solve.

Otherwise Jeff would be my definite first choice to join the team at the moment. He has that shot, he has the right attitude he just has to find a new atmosphere and motivation to be at top level again. Hopefully that'd be at Detroit.

he still got 20 goals last year in a bad leafs team , his brother and family is from the toronto area so maybe leaving would do him some good , i think at 1.5 hes worth the risk ......... lets face it , not too many options out there as it is , if it was up to me id get o'neill, simon and miller

Damn, I didn't know these bad things. Those are very hard to solve.

Otherwise Jeff would be my definite first choice to join the team at the moment. He has that shot, he has the right attitude he just has to find a new atmosphere and motivation to be at top level again. Hopefully that'd be at Detroit.

Maybe they could trick him with drugged Milk just like they did for B.A. Barracus on 'The A-Team'?

IPB Image

Edited by Hank

I've been an O'neill fan since his 40 goal season back in 00-01 I think. I'd take him for the fact hes Canadian , and he could maybe bounce back here. His fear of flying and the death of his brother makes me un-easy about signing him.