• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ShanahanMan

Why the Lack of Buzz?

Rate this topic

Pretty much all the NHL teams have FA buzz all round. Even if they dont make a certain deal, theres still buzz surrounding them. The Wings however have pretty much ZERO buzz (except for the Raycroft thing). Holland has also been dead quiet since Monday. With about 9 million dollars left of cap space to fill, you would think there would be a lot of talk or buzz or something involving potential moves or signings but there has been nothing lately. We desperately need Hasek, a top six forward, and maybe another D man. I'm hoping Holland is just working on some crazy "master plan" because this silence from the organization is not good at our current state.

Thoughts?

Edited by ShanahanMan

Guest DetroitIan

I really have alot of faith in Kenny. But at this point Im just getting a little impatient. Im not really understanding what the hold up is. Is he waiting for certain players to lower their asking price??? Cause the longer he keeps twiddling his thumbs, the more chance that the market will be a barron wasteland. I mean we have 8 mill. We know what we need. Why isnt Kenny throwing out some offers??? I dont understand why a week from now has any difference from today. If we dont sign atleast one forward or defenseman soon, Im gonna seriously go crazy. I cant take it much longer. I hate this uncertainty.

I think its because all our ideas and predictions have pretty much all gone out the window. We knew Schnieds wouldn't be back - but Bert? And Hasek's taking forever. I think some of us don't want to jynx the team and others are done making foolish predictions. Kenny's not done yet by any means but I just think everyone's realizing we need to sit back and wait - have some patience.

I really have alot of faith in Kenny. But at this point Im just getting a little impatient. Im not really understanding what the hold up is. Is he waiting for certain players to lower their asking price??? Cause the longer he keeps twiddling his thumbs, the more chance that the market will be a barron wasteland. I mean we have 8 mill. We know what we need. Why isnt Kenny throwing out some offers??? I dont understand why a week from now has any difference from today. If we dont sign atleast one forward or defenseman soon, Im gonna seriously go crazy. I cant take it much longer. I hate this uncertainty.

So basically, Kenny should just throw money around to shut the impatient fans up?

Hell of a way to run a team.

So basically, Kenny should just throw money around to shut the impatient fans up?

Hell of a way to run a team.

I don't think thats what he's saying. We just believe that we don't have a complete roster at the moment and need a few more guys. If Holland gets it done, we absolutely will shut the hell up. Keyword = "If"

Well, he's obviously to get it done. I don't remember any year, at least since I've been a big boardmember that the Wings have gone out and signed a huge name as soon as the FA period started. Why should this year be any different?

But, it's free agent season around here. I shouldn't expect anything different.

Kenny has the uncanny ability to fiund the right guys at the right price. Getting into bidding wars is not how Kenny gets things done. Anyone remember when Markov was signed last year? That's right, a few weeks into July.

Kenny knows which guys he is looking for, and what holes need to be filled. Just because we aren't hearing about what he is doing, working on and looking into doesn't mean he is out playing ping pong with Stevie all day.

Kenny will find the right guys to fill out the roster. It's just a matter of time.

And BTW, how does getting Rafalski for less than market value not constitute buzz?

Guest DetroitIan

I don't think thats what he's saying. We just believe that we don't have a complete roster at the moment and need a few more guys. If Holland gets it done, we absolutely will shut the hell up. Keyword = "If"

Exactly. Not to mention the longer he keeps waiting, the more the uncertainty rises. I dont want him to just throw out any random contract. But hell, if he knows what he wants. I think its time to start pursuing SOMEONE. Or else there wont be anyone left. There is no reason that Kenny cant alteast send an offer to a player that he has interest in. If it gets rejected, fine. But waiting too long could very much limit our offensive options.

i have a theory,

i think that because of the poor showing in ticket sales during the playoffs the boss has told holland not to spend to the cap limit. I'm sure with how this team has been run in the past that isn't something they would broadcast.

I think it's very obvious Holland has been trying to get Hasek signed so he can determine how much money he has left to spend. The problem is Hasek's been screwing around trying to get a contract more fitting for a guy who's been in the league for half as long as he has. I would imagine Holland's patience would be at end if he can't get Dom signed by the end of the week. The reason he signed Rafalski in a knee-jerk reaction is because he believed he needed to get a top name d-man to replace Schneider before the market of d-men dried up. In the case of Bertuzzi, I think Holland felt like at that moment it wasn't a big priority to go get a guy to replace him. I also don't think Holland went into sunday thinking, "I need to go out there and get me a Drury or a Gomez or a Smyth." I'm pretty certain he felt he already had a good balance and was only looking for a few alterations.

Holland made his buzz by signing Rafalski. Not the most popular name out there, but still a significant signing nevertheless.

Why do we always have to sign players X, Y, and Z to 5-year contracts worth $40 million in the first two days, or the offseason be deemed a failure?

Remember, this current roster is currently and will probably not be much different than the one that nearly made the SCF last year.

Please, let's have a little patience for once. Lack of buzz with this team and roster isn't a bad thing.

Holland made his buzz by signing Rafalski. Not the most popular name out there, but still a significant signing nevertheless.

Why do we always have to sign players X, Y, and Z to 5-year contracts worth $40 million in the first two days, or the offseason be deemed a failure?

Remember, this current roster is currently and will probably not be much different than the one that nearly made the SCF last year.

Please, let's have a little patience for once. Lack of buzz with this team and roster isn't a bad thing.

We need a replacement for Lang. Simple as that

Well , the guys I want (Gelinas , Winchester and Asham) are not top FA and do not need to be signed right away. He'll wait another couple days/weeks before making a move , its how he works. Rafalski was just to replace Schnieds

Losing Lang was addition by subtraction.

Yes, losing Lang was good but he was NOT a bad player. His problem was, he was a star player that wasn't playing even close to star level. If you looked at his numbers though: Goals: 19 Assists:33 Points: 52 , who do you honestly think will replace that on our current roster? I mean come on, we NEED a replacement for that.

Edited by ShanahanMan

There's only one slight problem... there are no big name free agents left.

I think people just want Holland to sign some just for the sake of doing so. I mean, I keep hearing these names like Alexei Yashin, Mike Comrie, etc. These guys are the exact opposite type of players the Wings need, yet everybody wants Holland to open up the check books for these guys. I don't get it, since there is really not many names left that would help the Wings at all.

Edited by Kp-Wings

Just becuase the wings have 8-9 million availible why do they have to use it this offseason? Id rather wait and have space availible in the event good trades become availible instead of wasting that cap space and overpaying for someone who isnt worth it because everyone presses the panic button.

you guys think WE got problems?

we could be Ottawa.

LMAO at Murray and his insistence on kicking Dom to the curb and saddling Ottawa with Gerber. I love this!! They're considereing sending Gerber to Bingo so he doesn't count against the cap. :lol:

Worst news: Emery wants more money. Surprise!!! not.

Gee, if Dom doesn't straighten up and sign for chump change soon, we could always go grab Gerber, eh?

:hehe: