• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ShanahanMan

Holland: Free Agent Shopping is Probably Done

Rate this topic

Touche! :lol:

Oh Christ. So you thought that was a smart move?

I should say it again: I don't mind the players Holland lost to Anaheim and what not. Bertuzzi sucks, and Rafalski is way better then Schneider. The thing I'm mad about is I'm still staring at a dominitly European based team that doesn't factor much grit at all. Liberties will still be taken upon the Wings next season. The Wings will still be called ******* by every single sports media outlet. That is what I'm mad about. That, and the second line. I'm tired of the same s*** every year, and Holland just lets it happen.

I will compliment Holland on the Rafalski signing, since he is way better then Schneider. So I'm not all negative.

I don't care what month it is. I can already tell you that line will suck. Samulesson sucks, Hudler is small, and Grigorenko is unproven. How am I supposed to look forward to that? Please tell me.

Just because other teams overpaid for these people doesn't mean that that's the only thing they would have been signed for.

Hudler is small? Oh no! There's no way he can be an effective player in the league. Might as well not count our first line either, because Zetterberg and Datsyuk are small. Grigorenko is unproven, all forwards were unproven at one point. If he matures, he can be a top sixer and he has size.

Guest Agalloch

So what does the team look like right now?

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Holmstrom (yes, I choose to keep them together)

Cleary - Filppula - Franzen

Maltby - Draper - ...Kopecky?

Samuelsson - Hudler - Grigorenko

Lidstrom - Lilja

Rafalski - Kronwall

Chelios - Lebda

Hasek

Osgood

Am I forgetting someone? I actually love that second line. Franzen is the best, man.

Hudler is small? Oh no! There's no way he can be an effective player in the league. Might as well not count our first line either, because Zetterberg and Datsyuk are small. Grigorenko is unproven, all forwards were unproven at one point. If he matures, he can be a top sixer and he has size.

You guys support Hudler like he's Wayne Gretzky or something.

Why should I even bother though? None of us matter. We don't have a say in how things go. Babcock does. My gut feeling is Hudler either will play or won't.

Zetterbergs 5'11 and pretty heavy if I beleive. Datsyuks 5'10 and slighty lighter. Hudlers 5'8 and very light. Theres a difference. Grigorenko is just a monster , hes 215 and 5'10. I want a couple more guys of that size on my team!

No, but wouldn't it be nice to have one for once?

Yet again though, the 2nd line will suck. A s***ty player, a small player, and an unproven player will be our second line. Thanks Holland.

Edit: I should clarify something here. The reason I'm pissed is because has Holland basically came out and said that he is done signing players, and will go forward with the team as is. That means we have only 3 North American forwards on the team right now. I can see the Euro media jokes next year right now. Not to mention we still don't have anybody on this team that will defend anyone if liberties are taken on them. And I don't expect it either, since Holland apparently likes the team as-is.

What should Holland have done? Overpaid for someone and risk signing Zetterberg down the road? Or would you prefer Asham on the second line?

Secondly, why do you care if the media rips the Wings for having Euros. The Wings had 4 North American forwards last year at the beginning -- Jason Williams. Man, I wish we still had that guy. We need a good NA guy like him.

:rolleyes:

We could ice the ******* Swedish national team, as long as they win I'd be happy. Why do you care what the media says?

Obviously Holland doesn't like the team as-is. He said he wanted to add a top-six forward. The prices are just too high.

Lidstrom - Lilja

Rafalski - Kronwall

Chelios - Lebda

Hasek

Osgood

Am I forgetting someone? I actually love that second line. Franzen is the best, man.

ya second line looks pretty sexy to me to

You guys support Hudler like he's Wayne Gretzky or something.

Why should I even bother though? None of us matter. We don't have a say in how things go. Babcock does. My gut feeling is Hudler either will play or won't.

Listen, I'm not even that big on Hudler. I'm just saying you cant discount a guy because of his size or where he's from. He obviously has some potential; he scored 15 goals playing garbage minutes.

at this point, I'd be fine with Yashin. Just SOME kind of veteran status on the second line. We can't rely on prospects and kids who have the potential or MAY BE good. We need to KNOW.

Zetterbergs 5'11 and pretty heavy if I beleive. Datsyuks 5'10 and slighty lighter. Hudlers 5'8 and very light. Theres a difference. Grigorenko is just a monster , hes 215 and 5'10. I want a couple more guys of that size on my team!

Hudler weighs 178. Datsyuk weighs 185 with an extra two inches on him.

at this point, I'd be fine with Yashin. Just SOME kind of veteran status on the second line. We can't rely on prospects and kids who have the potential or MAY BE good. We need to KNOW.

Yashin isnt good. I'd rather play Filp and Franzen with Cleary on the 2nd line over Yashin. Hes a cancer and lazy bum. Let the caps have him.

Yashin isnt good. I'd rather play Filp and Franzen with Cleary on the 2nd line over Yashin. Hes a cancer and lazy bum. Let the caps have him.

Better yet, let Avangard have him. Get him out of this country already.

Wasn't it Dean Lombardi that traded for Dan Cloutier and signed him to a 2-contract extension before he even played a single game for the Kings? I don't exactly call that savvy management.

^^ Basically what Toronto did with Toskala...

If we do get Yashin, I'll look forward to Babcocks after game comments about laziness and being benched, sounds familiar

On the plus side, I'm going to be going to college at U Detroit-Mercy, a whole 2 hours closer to JLA, and Comerica Park :colorbounce:

What if Bertuzzi re-signed for 2-years at $4M+ for each? What about Guerin at $4.5M for two years? What about Kozlov at almost $4M per? Fedotenko at almost $3M?

Kyle-freaking-Calder at $2.75M over two years? The same guy that was getting scratched for Jiri Hudler and Tomas Kopecky during the playoff run?

Does any of that sound like fiscal responsibility in operating under the Wings' cap?

Bertuzzi could've been had for less than $4 mil, IMO. He just wanted a longer term (2yrs?). They were already close to a deal with hasek, therefore I think they could've secured bertuzzi first and it still would have left them with $2+ M for anything else in FA.

Bottom line is you have to take risks in order to get rewarded.

Edited by Mighty Wings

Bertuzzi could've been had for less than $4 mil, IMO. He just wanted a longer term (2yrs?). They were already close to a deal with hasek, therefore I think they could've secured bertuzzi first and it still would have left them with $2+ M for anything else in FA.

Get mad at Holland over your own baseless assumptions. Good idea.

Lidstrom - Lilja

Rafalski - Kronwall

Chelios - Lebda

Hasek

Osgood

i can dig those lines!!!!!!!! maybe get Gelinas to play on that Draper/Maltby line but i don't have a problem giving Kopecky the oppurtunity either!

Since I was replying to fiscal responsibility, Let me ask you. What do u think bertuzzi wanted?

Probably something around what he got. How would I know? How would you know? How would anyone outside of the NHL know how much he wanted. I doubt the Ducks would overpay him on purpose.

I think a lot of you are missing out on two things Holland said:

1) "our plans for the future"

2) "Henrik Zetterberg can be a free agent in two years, so we're not looking to add anybody significant for more than a two-year deal because we want to keep Zetterberg."

Signing someone else long term for big bucks makes no sense at all. Zetterberg deserves a big pay raise, and if we want one of the best players in the league around, we need to keep things clear.

This isn't 2001-02 anymore, there's a salary cap to deal with.

I think a lot of you are missing out on two things Holland said:

1) "our plans for the future"

2) "Henrik Zetterberg can be a free agent in two years, so we're not looking to add anybody significant for more than a two-year deal because we want to keep Zetterberg."

Signing someone else long term for big bucks makes no sense at all. Zetterberg deserves a big pay raise, and if we want one of the best players in the league around, we need to keep things clear.

This isn't 2001-02 anymore, there's a salary cap to deal with.

I say we give Z 10 a year. Anything less in unacceptable. Oh...and don't forget to ****** the C off #5's jersey.

2 years down the road with Zetterbergs contract should not hinder us form signing a guy like Gelinas or an Asham/Fedoruk/Winchester. The most they'd cost us is 2.5 million and thats for BOTH.

If "our plans" are for the future ,why'd we bring back Dom? This is the season we shouldve gone hard for the Cup.

Probably something around what he got. How would I know? How would you know? How would anyone outside of the NHL know how much he wanted. I doubt the Ducks would overpay him on purpose.

You make fair points....and are entitled to your opinion.

Could bert have settled for something like 2 yrs $7mil? maybe

Is $4 mil/yr overpaying for Bertuzzi? Yes. But, like I said you have to take risks in order to get rewarded.

Hasek wasn't supposed to play more than 50 games last year.

The inital reaction of a lot of people, on the datsyuk re-signing was "wings overpaid" or "unless pavel plays well in the playoffs it's a terrible contract"

Edited by Mighty Wings

Please stop whining guys. I mean not you all more intelligent friends but those whiner assholes. I'm just dead tired all these whining, Holland is doing that and isn't doing that. We'll be fine, let the youngsters show what they can do. At the deadline we do two moves and we are back in Stanley Cup business...

Edited by Henkka