• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ShanahanMan

Holland: Free Agent Shopping is Probably Done

Rate this topic

Bertuzzi stood up to other players. Did that stop Pronger? Did that stop McLennan?

No he didn't. Bertuzzi dropped the gloves with Phaneuf because Phaneuf said something to him. He didn't actually stick up for anyone else on the Wings though.

Bertuzzi is a horrible comparison, since he was not a factor at all during his time here.

You're probably forgetting Grigorenko, whom everybody insists should be given a roster spot given his stats in Russia.

Well what other basis would he be given a roster spot on? He has to start somewhere. You know, Datsyuk didn't just appear on the Wings roster either. He actually had pretty stats in Russia too. Pretty amazing, enh?

Grigorenko needs a shot. If he doesn't live up to expectations, his roster spot is freed up anyway.

You're probably forgetting Grigorenko, whom everybody insists should be given a roster spot given his stats in Russia.

Yep, i did forget Grigorenko. So Kopecky becomes the 13th.

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Holmstrom

Cleary-Filpulla-Samuellson

Franzen-Draper-Maltby

Grigorenko-Hudler-Kopceky

yikes. that is a TERRIBLE set of forwards. horrible. and who would be the dpeth guys? Hussey, Ellis, & Bootland. i think THIS is going to be the year everyone was expecting last year, and I have to say, with the additions that LA made, to go along with their talented young core, I honestly think Hasek would have a better team in front of him than we have right now.

Bertuzzi is a horrible comparison, since he was not a factor at all during his time here.

So what makes you think Aaron Asham of all people would be such a factor? This guy is a career third or fourth liner.

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Holmstrom

Cleary-Filpulla-Samuellson

Franzen-Draper-Maltby

Grigorenko-Hudler-Kopceky

yikes. that is a TERRIBLE set of forwards. horrible. and who would be the dpeth guys? Hussey, Ellis, & Bootland. i think THIS is going to be the year everyone was expecting last year, and I have to say, with the additions that LA made, to go along with their talented young core, I honestly think Hasek would have a better team in front of him than we have right now.

Fortunately the Red Wings have six guys called defensemen, too. The Wings are going to win the conference again.

So what makes you think Aaron Asham of all people would be such a factor? This guy is a career third or fourth liner.

Because I've watched him play before, and he's exaclty what the Wings need. Believe it or not, I do watch players that don't play for the Wings.

But whatever. We'll never both agree on this. Let's just agree to disagree.

Smartest thing I've heard all day. Adding some scrubs who will hit and drop the gloves won't significantly effect this team. Its all about attitude. The team this past spring was the grittiest group of players to wear the winged wheel for the last several years. Was it because of naturally gritty players like Bertuzzi and Calder. No, in fact the teams "grittiest" players were non-factors in the playoffs. This Wings team was grittier than its predessecors because the team, especially guys like Dan Cleary, shifted in attitude.

Scrub? Why, cause his name isnt Ashamov? Give me a break, seriously.

So is Samuelsson but I never see anyone wanting him traded or waived because of it. So why is it so strange someone wants to sign someone who is better then Samuelsson and actually protects his teammates?

So is Samuelsson but I never see anyone wanting him traded or waived because of it. So why is it so strange someone wants to sign someone who is better then Samuelsson and actually protects his teammates?

you've never seen anyone say they wanted to trade samuelsson? stick around,....

Just because Samuelsson is a third-line type guy doesn't mean he must be traded or waived. The guy makes $1.2 million. He's a decent scorer, he plays defense, and he has some size. If he made $3 million, I'd say waive him or trade him. He's fine for what he's getting paid.

Just because Samuelsson is a third-line type guy doesn't mean he must be traded or waived. The guy makes $1.2 million. He's a decent scorer, he plays defense, and he has some size. If he made $3 million, I'd say waive him or trade him. He's fine for what he's getting paid.

Size that I have never seen him use in his entire stint with Detroit.

Just sayin'...

Minus Lang, that is basically the same exact forward roster we had last year.

We will be okay. Bobbert was special, but he wasn't... you know... that kind of special.

Guest DetroitIan

All I know is, if Holland really is done in free agency. I am legitimently PISSED.

Datsyuk - Zetterberg - Holmstrom

Hudler - Grigorenko - Flip

Franzen - Draper - Cleary

Maltby - Kopceky- Samuellson

I think I like the lines like this, and I don't think their horrible by any stretch of the imagination....

Grigorenko is not going to be your average rookie breaking into the league, despite assertions made by many here. Hudler and Flip showed everyone all they need to see this year, and I think with real minutes, they could do some damage.....the last two lines could be mixed up any way you like, and with Draper and Maltby serving a lot of time on the PK, they will have to be.

I have a good mine to say that the Wings "***** montra" has began to rub off on the fans. Christ. You need your head checked if you don't think Asham will be a good fit on this team.

language.

let the kids play. they need the PT.

Datsyuk - Zetterberg - Holmstrom

Hudler - Grigorenko - Flip

Franzen - Draper - Cleary

Maltby - Kopceky- Samuellson

I think I like the lines like this, and I don't think their horrible by any stretch of the imagination....

Grigorenko is not going to be your average rookie breaking into the league, despite assertions made by many here. Hudler and Flip showed everyone all they need to see this year, and I think with real minutes, they could do some damage.....the last two lines could be mixed up any way you like, and with Draper and Maltby serving a lot of time on the PK, they will have to be.

That line is atrocius for a 2nd line, way too inexperienced. This isnt Getzlaf, Perry, and Penner, ...it wont work.

No he didn't. Bertuzzi dropped the gloves with Phaneuf because Phaneuf said something to him. He didn't actually stick up for anyone else on the Wings though.

True dat. I didn't hear too much out of Phaneuf after Bert dropped him either though, and he was supposed to be this huge physical force against us at the start of the series. Cleary gave him a smack too but Bert stood up to him time and time again. The Wings DO need someone like that, especially since all we have to choose from is third or fourth liners at this point.

peace,

esteef

As Alienaxiety said above, check what he said earlier last month.

Now check what he's saying now at the opening of this thread. Yes, there it is! The Holland-speak we know so well. I'm so f*n sick of the same bulls*** lines from him EVERY DAMN OFFSEASON. Locking Hank up? Tell that to every other GM in the league with star players they plan on keeping and ALSO still do their homework to be able to spend some dough NOW to also improve their clubs. God dammit.

That line is atrocius for a 2nd line, way too inexperienced. This isnt Getzlaf, Perry, and Penner, ...it wont work.

we can speculate, sure... but we cannot legitimately say how they will do together until we've actually given them the opportunity to show us.

what's the harm in starting the exhibition season with youth, actually giving them quality PT to form some chemistry?

Oh, I'm sorry, which NHL team are you a GM for?

You have no idea if it will work or not, none of us will until we see it out there, and the word atrocious is a bit dramatic don't you think? What Hudler did with limited minutes on the "He's lazy and he sucks" line was far from atrocious, and Flip flat out impressed at times last year. With a pit bull like Grigorenko centering those two, that line could be dominant.

language.

Yeah, well I'm right though. People who actually think Samulesson and Kopecky are more effective players then Asham or Gelinas really are *******. Or just plain stupid.

I'm tired of this "Let the kids play. It worked in Anaheim" bulls***. I don't mind playing them, but it's the Anaheim comparison that I really hate. Hudler, Kopecky, and Grigorenko aren't even in the same league as Getzlaf, Perry, and Penner. I hate that comparison so much, because it's so far off base.

I really dont understand the facsination with Arron Asham. He has never put up even DECENT numbers in the NHL, he will be a fourth liner for his entire career, and he is not a big body. I'm sorry, this guy is not an enforcer or a tough guy - sure he will stand up and drop the gloves from time to time, but is that worth leaving Hulder or Grigs out of the line-up. The guy had 34 points ONCE, its like someone looked up 'remaining free-agents' and chose the most obscure guy ever so that there choice for the next Wings free agent signing would be original compared to all the calls for Guerin, O'Neill, or Smyth.

I say Holland ice's the team he has - if he is going to add anyone, and take ice time away from younger players, make it worth while. Sign a vet. who is strong in BOTH ends of the ice and still puts up 40+ points. If that can't be had, take your chances with the young guns.

Because Grigorenko's ceiling is a top six winger. He's home-grown and needs time to develop -- but hey, let's never give him that time and just keep inserting Aaron Asham's ahead of him in the depth chart.

They obviously see something in Kopecky, so I have nothing to say about that.

Exactly.

Most of all, a guy who can't crack the Islanders top lines, and has NEVER been know for scoring, is suppose to come in and save our offence. :blink: