• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Steve Z

Wing's worst offseason in years

Rate this topic

We go through this every summer. People saying Kenny is the worst GM ever, yet we always seem to be one of the elite teams in the league. Last summer people were saying it's back to "The Dead Things" and we made it to the West Finals. The summer isn't over yet, and it's time to give some of our youth the big chance. Filppula wasn't even supposed to be a regular last year but he played most of the year due to injuries, and he was one of our hardest working players in the playoffs. Our D looks great, we have a solid line 1, and we still have some great grinders. I do think we need one more additional forward for line 2. Go Wings Go

You guys really jumped to conclusions fast on my post. I think Holland is a great GM. I do think last years offseason was just as bad.

But, losingMARKOV! hurts real bad

Especially when holland says he's "done!"

You guys really jumped to conclusions fast on my post. I think Holland is a great GM. I do think last years offseason was just as bad.

Well, when you title the thread "Worst offseason in years", when he's seemed to replace Schneider's void, re-sign Hasek who did so well for the Wings last year to another discount, and keep most of last year's roster intact that almost made the FInals, you will get some pretty jumpy conclusions and raise some eyebrows.

Ference, he only has 4 carrer nhl goals!

That's probably a 7th/8th d-man (depth)/AHL signing.

All 30 teams sign players like these in the offseason.

And while goals are always nice, defensemen are supposed to play DEFENSE first, not score goals first.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

You can't argue this: The wings have lost some size.... Bert, Schnieder, Lang were all well over 6 '... On the bright side, we have lost an awful lot of untimely, costly penalties with that bunch... If Kenny has indeed put the check book away for now or is trying to drive prices down, or fills some needs between now and next post season, we'll be ok--can't say I think we'll do as well as this year but hey, it was a good run...

Look, the Wings were the best team in the Stanley Cup playoffs. Had they been able to stay healthy, the Wings would have won the Cup. If the Wings had the roster we have now (with Rafalski) in the series against the Ducks, they'd have won. So yeah, the Wings haven't gotten a lot of new players, but that's because they don't have to. No reason to panic.

This board is so f***ed up.

Top 3 things people complained about at the start of last season : 1) Having Lang and Williams 2) "we're too old" 3) Needing more grit

Now that Holland has 1) gotten rid of Lang and Williams and 2) replaced a 38 year old Dman with a 33 year old Dman and added a hard-nosed roookie, people are still bitching and complaining. Addition by subtraction, people.

It hasnt even been a week since free agency, yet the sky is already falling. This forum gets more unbearable with each new thread.

This board is so f***ed up.

Top 3 things people complained about at the start of last season : 1) Having Lang and Williams 2) "we're too old" 3) Needing more grit

Now that Holland has 1) gotten rid of Lang and Williams and 2) replaced a 38 year old Dman with a 33 year old Dman and added a hard-nosed roookie, people are still bitching and complaining. Addition by subtraction, people.

It hasnt even been a week since free agency, yet the sky is already falling. This forum gets more unbearable with each new thread.

Thats what a forum is though. You will always have people overreacting as they do every year. It never will be good enough for some. But it does open for discussion, and if everyone thought the same and no one complained about anyhthing...how fun would that be?

We lost a guy that was scratched for the majority of the playoffs, a guy that was too injured to do anything in the playoffs, and a guy who scored a big goal that did nothing for the rest of the playoffs. Huge losses! Panic!

How is this team worse than last year's? Rafalski is better than Schneider. Bertuzzi and Calder weren't acquired until the deadline. Basically, this is the same team minus Williams and Lang (big deal) with Grigorenko added. Plus, Filppula and Hudler both have a full year's NHL experience under their belts.

I totally agree!!! :)

Backpedaling. You title your thread "Wings worst off season in years" then conclude your original post by saying we might as well hand the Cup to one of the other teams...what do you think we're going to do? Seems like you jumped to a few conclusions of your own with regard to the Wings in your original post.

All we did so far is get rid of dead weight (Calder, Lang, Bertuzzi),signed a younger, better version (Rafalski) of a player we lost to FA (Schneider), and re-signed probably the best goalie in the league today (Hasek). Not bad for the first week of free agency. Yes we have some holes to fill, but do you really think Holland is going to just sit on his hands for the rest of the summer? There's a long way to go to October and the start of the season. A long way.

Everyone - not only Steve Z, but everyone - needs to just chill and relax. The sky is not falling and Ken Holland and his boys in the front office know what they are doing. Have a little faith, people.

The sky is not falling and Ken Holland and his boys in the front office know what they are doing.

I don't know man, it's 7:15pm right now, this sun is currently sinking and it's getting darker! That seems like a falling sky! :scared::P

Guest Crymson

If last offseason was just as bad and we almost won it all, then I'd say we're in pretty good position.

Look around.

OK what did you expect in the cap era? That we were going to sign Bert, Smythe, Schneider, Forsberg, and Drury? Come on, it's not that way anymore - although I personally miss those days.

This team has not gotten any worse - that's for sure. The defense is essentially the same - sans the questionmark in Markov. But we do get Kronwall back. The offense is minus Lang - and he really took a step down this year. Sure he got a few key goals in the playoffs and I thank him for that - but otherwise, not worth the money. We all know Bert was a rent-a-player and essentially a non-factor in the playoffs. So where have the Wings had their worst offseason?

I would pose this question - can the Wings win their division? The obvious answer is yes, of course. Therefore there is no urgency in my mind to overpay for some left-over forward. We will have opportunity at the trade deadline. This team was a hair away from going to the finals - it's not like we needed some major overhauling....

Apparently you didn't watch the playoffs. Schneider, Lang and Calder had little to do with advancing to the conf. finals. Having said that, we need another top 6 forward and thats about it. Don't forget contracts must be structured for more than this year so as to keep some key core players like Zetts, Franzen, Flip, etc. in the next couple of years. Some of you pessimists need to realize that teams are not built year to year, but over a stretch of years focusing on some key players. Holland (and every other GM) knows this, but some of you don't get it at all.

At least Kenny didn't sign Yashin.

That's something, right ?

cmon, we got rid of Lang - who is next to get the lazy and sucks moniker if not Yashin? C'mon Kenny this board needs you to come thru with a player to hate.

Hey, remember, we gotta move some people up from GR. I think that Kyle Quincey deserves a legitimate shot at the Wings this season. For being in the playoffs with some of the other bonehead maneuvers we've pulled, I blame him for only 1 goal. Otherwise, he's been playing smart puck-control defence. So what if he didn't score a goal? DEFENCEMAN FIRST.

Hey, remember, we gotta move some people up from GR. I think that Kyle Quincey deserves a legitimate shot at the Wings this season. For being in the playoffs with some of the other bonehead maneuvers we've pulled, I blame him for only 1 goal. Otherwise, he's been playing smart puck-control defence. So what if he didn't score a goal? DEFENCEMAN FIRST.

Blasphemy! Don't you know that every single wing must score at least 10 goals a season or be called a bum and shipped off! :lol:

just poking fun at the "we have no goal scorers" crowd

Guest Crymson

this thread is probably the most "mentally challenged" thread ever started

"Worst offseason in years" Are you f***ing kidding me?

Come, now.. bitching doesn't need to have any basis in reality!

lol. Yeah, 'tis a terrible thread.

this thread is probably the most "mentally challenged" thread ever started

"Worst offseason in years" Are you f***ing kidding me?

Yeah , I agree . you'd think the way some people go on in here it's the end of the world. The Wings might look weaker just now , but I have faith in Kenny Holland that by the time the new season start's the Wings will be ready to roll.

Man, haven't seen so much negativity since.... last offseason. And the one before that. This team makes it happen, big signings or not. Sure, I'd like to see a big power forward in the lineup... but I'd also like to see our youth get a shot. This year, they will. Can't wait to see Grigs play. Plus, maybe Babs will finally give the Oompa-Loompa more than 7 minutes a night...

Maybe 'summer' isn't an accurate title for this season... instead, summer shall hence forth be known as: Season of the whiney-***** Red Wing fans.