• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DreamsofHope

Our Second Line

Rate this topic

Based on the fact that we parted ways with Bert, Lang, and Calder, and that we don't have Williams anymore... What do you guys predict our second line looks like next year? Consider FA's as well. This is assuming that our first line is composed of Zets, Dats, and Holmstrom. Do you guys think we are going to become a one line team? That is my biggest worry coming into this next year.

We were a one line team last year. Filppula and Hudler both have a full year under their belt's, they're both going to be better. Cleary is capable of playing on the second line. Holland's going to find a forward eventually.

Lang and Williams are not a loss.

Not once did I suggest they were. I said parted ways specifically for that reason. This does nothing to answer the question.

Edited by DreamsofHope

Not once did I suggest they were. I said parted ways specifically for that reason. This does nothing to answer the question.

You want me to answer the question?

The Wings will be a one line team. But they were last year, so it's no difference.

Based on the fact that we parted ways with Bert, Lang, and Calder, and that we don't have Williams anymore... What do you guys predict our second line looks like next year? Consider FA's as well. This is assuming that our first line is composed of Zets, Dats, and Holmstrom. Do you guys think we are going to become a one line team? That is my biggest worry coming into this next year.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg will start the season as centres. You can guarentee it.

The top 6 wingers will unfold out of training camp but my money is on Filpulla, Hudler, Homer, Cleary, Sammy and Grigs.

Our lines might look something like this:

Hudler-Zetts-Homer

Filpulla-Dats-Grigs

Cleary-Franzen-Sammy

Ellis-Draper-Maltby

A one line team? HA

We have four lines of small, gritty "scorers" and "playmakers". Double that on Defense and we're A'ok.

Now if you excuse me I'm going over to youtube to watch some fight clips to make myself feel better

The top 6 wingers will unfold out of training camp but my money is on Filpulla, Hudler, Homer, Cleary, Sammy and Grigs.

Hudler-Zetts-Homer

Filpulla-Dats-Grigs

Cleary-Franzen-Sammy

Ellis-Draper-Maltby

I actually like those for our top two lines.

Guest jaytan

I'd be surprised to see Zetterberg on Datsyuk regularly paired together. They're both centers, for one, and for two, they'd be better off making less-skilled teammates better than trying to play with each other.

Franzen - Zetterberg - Samuelsson

Holmstrom - Datsyuk - Grigerinko

Cleary - Draper - Maltby

Kopecky - Filppula - Hudler

Man, in a few years, we'll probably have the first completely European roster in the NHL.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hudler-Zetts-Homer

Filpulla-Dats-Grigs

Cleary-Franzen-Sammy

KOPECKY-Draper-Maltby

there ya go

I'd be surprised to see Zetterberg on Datsyuk regularly paired together. They're both centers, for one, and for two, they'd be better off making less-skilled teammates better than trying to play with each other.

Not only that, but at least last year we had Lang to centre our 2nd line. I know he's 'lazy and he sucks' but he was a vet and he did have the ability to carry a line on his own. If Babs puts Z and Dats together we'll be left with Filppula to centre our 2nd line. I really like Val but I don't think he's ready for it yet. Maybe in his 3rd year, but not now.

If you put Zetts and Dats at centre (like you said - their natural positions), we'll have better depth.

And lets be honest, we won a lot of games last year because of Hasek, our defensive depth and a weak division. The Division will be stronger but we''ll still rely on all 3 to make the playoffs. By then, Holland will have picked up a couple of forwards to help our march in April.

Lang and Williams are not a loss.

I was glad to see Lang go, but his 50 to 60 points a season are a loss.

It was an opportunity to shed a lot of salary and improve the second line. They shed salary, but they haven't gotten anyone to help that second line.

You want me to answer the question?

The Wings will be a one line team. But they were last year, so it's no difference.

That's the problem.

Hudler-Zetts-Homer

Filpulla-Dats-Grigs

Cleary-Franzen-Sammy

Ellis-Draper-Maltby

So aside from Dats, the second line relies on Flip, who scored 17 points last season, and Grigorenko, who has never played in the NHL.

And I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but the biggest guy on our second line is Flip at 5'11" and 185 lbs. What are they odds that line will get shut down in the postseason, especially on the road?

Man I hope Holland picks up a big physical winger who can pot a few goals, even if it's at the trade deadline.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

I was glad to see Lang go, but his 50 to 60 points a season are a loss.

It was an opportunity to shed a lot of salary and improve the second line. They shed salary, but they haven't gotten anyone to help that second line.

That's the problem.

So aside from Dats, the second line relies on Flip, who scored 17 points last season, and Grigorenko, who has never played in the NHL.

And I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but the biggest guy on our second line is Flip at 5'11" and 185 lbs. What are they odds that line will get shut down in the postseason, especially on the road?

Man I hope Holland picks up a big physical winger who can pot a few goals, even if it's at the trade deadline.

I'm not sure if Filp will make the top 2 lines but those are the lines that I think we'll be starting with.

It's just like last year. I have to admit, that while I'm a huge Wings fan, I found it hard to watch them in the first month last year. I found myself tuning into a lot of Sabres and Pens games.

Before Babs put Zetterberg back with Datsyuk, the Wings looked a lot like the Devils. I sure hope that some of the young guys show a knack for scoring so Babs lets them skate a little more.

But I think you're correct with the assumption that a big, physical winger won't be coming until the deadline.

Guest Agalloch

i hope holland does something about this, or its going to be a loooong season.

For having such a good username, you sure don't seem to have much knowledge of hockey.

For having such a good username, you sure don't seem to have much knowledge of hockey.

umm, well our team sort of looks like s*** compared to the last few years. we have datsyuk and zetterberg.... that is it. Sure we have good defense, but whos going to score the big goals? Im not counting on filpulla and hudler to come out and have a 70-80 point season. Now i wonder why we got rid of lang and calder. its not like we replaced them.

Hudler and Grigs will most likely not make the top six right out of camp. Hudler because Babcock doesn't like giving him a lot of even strength icetime, and Grigs because he's got a lot of work to do adapting to the NA game and won't perform at his best just yet. Rather, you'll see our top wingers most likely consist of Flip, Franzen, Homer, Cleary, Sammy, and whomever else isn't in Babcock's doghouse at the time. While there are no big-name offensive threats there, Homer, Cleary and Sammy all put up fine points last year, and I expect Flip and Hudler to crank up a few more as well, given additional icetime. I don't think our offensive situation is particularly bad right now, but it could certainly stand for improvement.

Hudler and Grigs will most likely not make the top six right out of camp. Hudler because Babcock doesn't like giving him a lot of even strength icetime, and Grigs because he's got a lot of work to do adapting to the NA game and won't perform at his best just yet. Rather, you'll see our top wingers most likely consist of Flip, Franzen, Homer, Cleary, Sammy, and whomever else isn't in Babcock's doghouse at the time. While there are no big-name offensive threats there, Homer, Cleary and Sammy all put up fine points last year, and I expect Flip and Hudler to crank up a few more as well, given additional icetime. I don't think our offensive situation is particularly bad right now, but it could certainly stand for improvement.

Regarding Grigorenko, it sounds like his game is far more suited to the North American style. I have a good feeling about this kid.

I remember when Dallas Drake first made this club. He was raw but full of energy, grit, heart and had good hands. I'm hoping that Grig's brings the same things to the table.

umm, well our team sort of looks like s*** compared to the last few years. we have datsyuk and zetterberg.... that is it. Sure we have good defense, but whos going to score the big goals? Im not counting on filpulla and hudler to come out and have a 70-80 point season. Now i wonder why we got rid of lang and calder. its not like we replaced them.

You have to wonder about Calder, there's not much question left on Lang though.

And the top really is the same as last year's... minus J Willy, Lang, our trade deadline pickups, and there you have it - the '06-'07 forward roster

Guest Crymson

Not only that, but at least last year we had Lang to centre our 2nd line. I know he's 'lazy and he sucks' but he was a vet and he did have the ability to carry a line on his own

.... or drag down a line on his own, which he quite often did.

Edited by Crymson