• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Rice

A good update from Holland

Rate this topic

Here's to all of you guys who think Holland is twiddling his thumbs.

MLive:

Red Wings GM Ken Holland says that agents are calling to pitch their unrestricted free agents to him at present, and he's talking to a "couple people," but it's down to price right now. They're hopeful that they can find somebody who can at least provide them some depth, just as Dan Cleary, Mikael Samuelsson, Andreas Lilja and Danny Markov did as late-summer signings, so he's looking for depth right now. Holland offered Danny Markov a 2-year deal at the Entry Draft in Columbus, and Markov wasn't impressed with the salary or term, so if he signs somewhere else, Holland will be happy for Markov. When he's asked if they need a big/gritty guy on the blueline, Holland says that, "Toughness is like pitching in baseball, you can't have enough of it," but cap constraints don't allow him to take care of every need--some of it has to be answered internally, and the Wings have always talked about becoming grittier, but many teams are looking to be grittier as well;

Holland says that the Wings really did the Ducks on the ropes in the third round, and the injuries to Schneider and Kronwall played a large part in their loss, but the playoffs showed that their playoffs will fight through it, but they need to be able to "give it," i.e. dish out physical punishment: Holland believes that Kronwall's open-ice hits and Chelios's grinding play adequately address the toughness issue on the blueline, the Wings' defence is an excellent puck-moving group in Rafalski, Lebda, Kronwall, and Lidstrom, and he hopes that they're able to add some key players at the trade deadline to address their needs, but Holland will continue to look at the open market until training camp, and he'll talk to other clubs who may be in cap trouble to see if he can swing a deal;

There's more, but this covers the issues that most people are panicking about.

That doesn't sound so bad. The more I think about it, the better I feel about this off-season.

The main difference between the roster this year and last year is the loss of Lang and Markov. People seem to be glad Lang is gone and we have decent depth on D, although like Holland said some additional grit would be nice.

This team should be just fine going into next season, and give our youth a chance to grow up/into the system.

Now fans of the Coyotes or Blue Jackets should be pissed since they sucked last year and with no moves, will suck again. But Detroit is not in that position at all. Most teams that made moves were bad last year or will be paralyzed by the salary cap for the next few.

Edited by Wings_Fan_In_Exile

*Looks around...throws arms up*

WHAT?!

I think your definition of toughness and Holland's definition of toughness differ. I see toughness as guys that battle every night and pay the price to score over and over again. Yzerman was toughness. Cleary is toughness. In fact, this whole team is pretty tough, as evidenced by last year's playoffs.

Holland says that the Wings really did the Ducks on the ropes in the third round, and the injuries to Schneider and Kronwall played a large part in their loss, but the playoffs showed that their playoffs will fight through it, but they need to be able to "give it," i.e. dish out physical punishment: Holland believes that Kronwall's open-ice hits and Chelios's grinding play adequately address the toughness issue on the blueline, the Wings' defence is an excellent puck-moving group in Rafalski, Lebda, Kronwall, and Lidstrom, and he hopes that they're able to add some key players at the trade deadline to address their needs, but Holland will continue to look at the open market until training camp, and he'll talk to other clubs who may be in cap trouble to see if he can swing a deal;

Good GOD! Whoever wrote this article needs to place a period in here somwhere!!! :lol:

Ah well. Ken-man, we once again place our trust in you. You always do well and sometimes surprise us (in good ways too!)

Get 'er done, Kenny!

Here's to all of you guys who think Holland is twiddling his thumbs.

MLive:

There's more, but this covers the issues that most people are panicking about.

Good! I always have, and always will, have faith in Holland. Although that quote about toughness is like pitching is kinda funny.

Guest jaytan

"Toughness is like pitching in baseball, you can't have enough of it."

And in our case, you just can't have any of it!

Dammit man! I didn't get home in time to post this......

However, we do have our ace in the hole Cheli and when he fails we bring in ozzie

I think your definition of toughness and Holland's definition of toughness differ. I see toughness as guys that battle every night and pay the price to score over and over again. Yzerman was toughness. Cleary is toughness. In fact, this whole team is pretty tough, as evidenced by last year's playoffs.

Yeah, they definitely differ. "Toughness" does have different definitions, I just wish Holland wouldnt use the word cause it irritates me! ;)

THere is a difference between toughness and just having someoneon the roster who can only fight. This team is very tough and gritty, just not a bunch of goons.

He's trying to get your blood pressure up Lou. Don't let him. :lol:

Too late! The man knows how to push my buttons...i'll give him that!

THere is a difference between toughness and just having someoneon the roster who can only fight. This team is very tough and gritty, just not a bunch of goons.

See, when you add a line like that at the end...you're basically saying the team is tough in a fighting sense as well.

Guest Crymson

He's trying to get your blood pressure up Lou. Don't let him. :lol:

Holland certainly know how to rid himself of critics.. when Lou_Siffer blows a vein from the stress, Holland will have a good night of rest before he makes some big signing.

*Looks around...throws arms up*

WHAT?!

Fwahaha! My Hollandism t-shirts are gonna rule! :lol:

Anyway, this is pretty good news -- although he's sorely mistaken if he thinks Kronwall and Chelios will solve the toughness issue on the blue line.

Basically hes saying that our toughness comes from two players. One of who is ancient and another one who has yet to impress.

Wow amazing. We'll be beating those ducks into the ground without question! Bodies will fly everywhere and everyone will be petrified of us... hell it'll be like having Probert and Kocur back...

Toughness? f*** off.

Guest DetroitIan

Very true. But we need both kinds of toughness. We need Yzerman toughness, and we need "Old-School McCarty toughness". Funny how some people thought the Ducks were dumb for re-signing Parros. Hell, that was a genius signing. Parros is the reason that guys like Selanne only get speared once in the back. And not twice.

Basically hes saying that our toughness comes from two players. One of who is ancient and another one who has yet to impress.

Wow amazing. We'll be beating those ducks into the ground without question! Bodies will fly everywhere and everyone will be petrified of us... hell it'll be like having Probert and Kocur back...

Toughness? f*** off.

nice try

but those soft Wings did beat gooning Flames and much more physical Sharks, didn't they?

and if not for lack of Schneider and fatigue caused by that they could as well beat the Ducks

but sure... who cares. let the bodies fly, let there be bloody pulps every single game