• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Manoir

NHL Attendance 2006-2007

Rate this topic

I assume that is for ticket sales and not actual attendance because there is no way JLA has an average attendance of over 20k

EDIT: That is ticket sales for sure because the Joe only holds 20,066 and that is their overal average attendence

So those numbers really don't mean a whole lot

Edited by WingNut199

It was. It wasn't anything I didn't already know, though.

I love that Nashville, Anaheim, and NJ are in the bottom ten, yet Columbus is in the top 20, and Philadelphia is ranked #7.

Just goes to show you... something.

I assume that is for ticket sales and not actual attendance because there is no way JLA has an average attendance of over 20k

EDIT: That is ticket sales for sure because the Joe only holds 20,066 and that is their overal average attendence

So those numbers really don't mean a whole lot

Why? It's a team's cash flow that determines how strong and stable they are. Ticket sales drive that cash flow. So that's what's really important. If a team sells out every game but the arena is only half full, that's a problem for those of us fans that want to get in the game, but from the team's perspective, they're doing just fine. And the lockout was over money, not attendance, so it's pretty obvious that's what really matters.

It was. It wasn't anything I didn't already know, though.

I love that Nashville, Anaheim, and NJ are in the bottom ten, yet Columbus is in the top 20, and Philadelphia is ranked #7.

Just goes to show you... something.

...and people say Nashville should keep it's team!

Why? It's a team's cash flow that determines how strong and stable they are. Ticket sales drive that cash flow. So that's what's really important. If a team sells out every game but the arena is only half full, that's a problem for those of us fans that want to get in the game, but from the team's perspective, they're doing just fine. And the lockout was over money, not attendance, so it's pretty obvious that's what really matters.

I don't care how many businesses buy season tickets every year just to hand them out to potential customers. I care about those couple thousand extra seats that are consistantly empty because of them.

So if you want to argue that those empty seats are promoting the "strength and stability" of the club, I don't buy it. Those empty seats just show that there isn't enough appeal to show up and that isn't a good sign at all

Edited by WingNut199

...and people say Nashville should keep it's team!

Ah... I lost a bet on how long it would take for this statement to come up. :P Time to pay out my $1.

Jeez. Look at the attendance for the Islanders and New Jersey. You'd think they had garbage teams last season.

Funny thing about that... Jersey thinks moving to thier new stadium is going to help them with attendance. Too bad the Lions had further to travel from the Silverdome to Ford Field. Now it's only going to cost me $10 in tolls instead of $13. :nonono:

Ah... I lost a bet on how long it would take for this statement to come up. :P Time to pay out my $1.

boy are you a high roller! :P

Funny thing about that... Jersey thinks moving to thier new stadium is going to help them with attendance. Too bad the Lions had further to travel from the Silverdome to Ford Field. Now it's only going to cost me $10 in tolls instead of $13. :nonono:

I know. It seems like Jersey has always had a hard time getting fans to the games, no matter how good they are.

And as much fun as it is to bash Nashville's attendance, there's two other markets there with pretty good teams who drew less fans.

Can't really blame anyone for not being intrigued by Devils games.

True. Though I think Minnesota's game is at least as dull, but they manage great attendance.

I don't care how many businesses buy season tickets every year just to hand them out to potential customers. I care about those couple thousand extra seats that are consistantly empty because of them.

So if you want to argue that those empty seats are promoting the "strength and stability" of the club, I don't buy it. Those empty seats just show that there isn't enough appeal to show up and that isn't a good sign at all

If those empty seats are bought and paid for, that's money in the pocket of the club. Teams don't leave town because of poor attendance, they leave town because they can't make money. It takes nothing more than a look at the Joe to prove this. Empty seats all over, every game, even during the playoffs, but the team isn't panicking. They're making money. As long as a team makes money and can pay the bills, they're OK, no matter what the actual number of butts in the seats is. Even if they suck in the standings (i.e, the Blackhawks model.) Not that that's a very fan-friendly way to run the team, but the Blackhawks are on rock-solid financial ground.

Tickets aren't the only cost as other have said... each fan spend on average around $20-$40 more on Overpiced, pizza, kids pops, adult pops and various other comfort foods. Not even to mention the overpriced merchandise they have.

And using the Joe as an example.. they may not have sold out each playoff game figuratively, but each ticket sold was more than DOUBLE -- actually triple --- what a regular season game costs (in ticket prices alone). Monetary wise each non-soldout playoff game sold out the JLA by a triple margin

Edited by OsGOD

so the bottom 10 in attendance every season should just be contracted or moved? great logic! in 3 years there wouldn't be a league anymore.

:lol: I am sorry to laugh, but you are bloody spot on!

Well, I think there are 2 main problems with significant empty seats:

1. There is A LOT of revenues to be made from concessions and if the butts are not in the seats, they are not spending any money on concessions.

2. Empty, but sold, seats now may be a sign that those seats may not be renewed in the future.

If those empty seats are bought and paid for, that's money in the pocket of the club. Teams don't leave town because of poor attendance, they leave town because they can't make money. It takes nothing more than a look at the Joe to prove this. Empty seats all over, every game, even during the playoffs, but the team isn't panicking. They're making money. As long as a team makes money and can pay the bills, they're OK, no matter what the actual number of butts in the seats is. Even if they suck in the standings (i.e, the Blackhawks model.) Not that that's a very fan-friendly way to run the team, but the Blackhawks are on rock-solid financial ground.

I'm not sure how much the actual Wings have been profiting. Maybe in the last couple years they have been turning a profit due to lower salaries, but a few years ago, when they had a significant payroll, if they didn't go really deep into the playoffs, they were losing money.

. Empty, but sold, seats now may be a sign that those seats may not be renewed in the future.

I'm not sure how much the actual Wings have been profiting. Maybe in the last couple years they have been turning a profit due to lower salaries, but a few years ago, when they had a significant payroll, if they didn't go really deep into the playoffs, they were losing money.

Then I am sorry they have piss poor management if this is the case... Basing your bottom line on something that is not a for sure bet? shouldn't they be planning to be in the black or at least break even at the end of the regular season... there is no for sure in playoffs that is all Bonus time.

The only thing they should be losing if the team doesn't make or go deep in the playoffs is the summer lining for the pocket books. And maybe a round of new window treatments for their offices.

As a gift from my work I get a rather large bonus in december... I don't budget that into my finances because it is not a for sure bet that I get it... same can and should be said for the playoffs... out of 30 only 16 make it.

Edited by OsGOD

Then I am sorry they have piss poor management if this is the case... Basing your bottom line on something that is not a for sure bet? shouldn't they be planning to be in the black or at least break even at the end of the regular season... there is no for sure in playoffs that is all Bonus time.

The only thing they should be losing if the team doesn't make or go deep in the playoffs is the summer lining for the pocket books. And maybe a round of new window treatments for their offices.

As a gift from my work I get a rather large bonus in december... I don't budget that into my finances because it is not a for sure bet that I get it... same can and should be said for the playoffs... out of 30 only 16 make it.

This is my opinion, which may not be true, but I think they run the pizza business like a business....to make money, they run the Wings like a hobby, to WIN. Sometimes the team makes money, sometimes it doesn't. Closer to the truth may be just that on occasion they would have spent more on salaries hoping to build a winning team, but since they were losing early in the playoffs, the team was losing money those years.

FYI:

Well according to the irs and taxes our online business lost $1000.00 but before all the cursory write offs we cleared a helluva lot more... that could be said about the wings... I highly doubt they lose any money, really. Final figures reported to agencies and on paper, sure.. but out where the money is actually spent... not a chance.

So then if you are right about your assumptions... there should be no bitching all around about the empty seats... its a hobby they shouldn't care.

Perhaps lower ticket prices should be in order, no?

Edited by OsGOD