• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingsownnhl43

We need a forward

Rate this topic

As we stand, if we keep the roster the way it is, we would definitely be a good team. Winning the central division is a lock. A number 1 in the west is a probably going to happen, and we also are probably going to win a playoff series again. But people are underestimating the impact Todd Bertuzzi would have had this season and in the playoffs. Im assuming he played at 60% during his time as a Red Wing. Also, he hasnt skated much in the past 3 years; suspension, lockout, injury. With a full offseason, training camp, Bertuzzi will be a top tier player in this league and we coulda had a bargain. Instead Anaheim gets him and is even better.

In order to stick with Anaheim in the playoffs we are going to need to be able to score more goals. They already have better goaltending, they can match us on defense, and whats more, offense is arguably their strength.

Bertuzzi

McDonald

Perry

Getzlaf

Kunitz

Penner

All of which are big, phyisical, talented hockey players who are capable of scoring 25 plus goals. All we have is Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Holmstrom. And Holmstrom is one dimensional, those players are not.

Furthermore, Bertuzzi was a gamble, but if it had panned out he was a player that would have put us over the top to have a GREAT chance of winning the cup. He was a perfect fit and we blew it.

Now that he's lost, we should gamble with Peter Forsberg. Because again, when healthy he has the talent to be an elite player in this league, and we need an elite player to contend with Anaheim. If Forsberg does get hurt. Then whatever, we wouldnt have won without him anyways. It's the same gamble baseball teams make when trading their prospects at the deadline.

wingsown... Detroit may win the Central because it's the worst division in the league right now. This may finally be Columbus' year to make the playoffs. Nashville has been gutted, Chicago is still a mess, and St. Louis isn't back to playoff contention. If Columbus doesn't gel this year, Detroit will be the only Central team to make the playoffs. IF... IF... IF they get the #1 seed, it will be because they beat up on a horrible division. Anaheim is far and away the best team in the league and should not have trouble repeating as Cup champs.

As for Detroit being a strong team next year... they're finally in a rebuilding stage. Not that they've been torn to the ground and rebuilt, but the younger players and role players will be a much bigger part of the team this year. Their success or failure will be tied directly to the performance of these players. Detroit has no second line if Zetterberg and Datsyuk are kept together, or two only marginally decent top lines if they're split apart. They have a great puck-moving, but physically soft/weak defense. They have a goalie who's very good if healthy, but 42 with past injury problems. Will they make the playoffs? If I had to bet yes or no, I'd bet yes. A top team in the West? No. They'll be the best team in a bad division.

The Ducks are going to be the Powerhouse team for the next few years

at least. Hopefully some of our own Big prospects will be ready to take the next step by 2009. Until then we need 1 or 2 vets to plug the holes on what is a very talented looking Wings roster. I just have a feeling that one of the guys out of camp is gunna grab a roster spot this year.

A LW, who would complement a line of Dats and Grigs.

As we stand, if we keep the roster the way it is, we 43' date='July 7, 2007 - 05:28PM' post='1119718']would definitely be a good team. Winning the central division is a lock. A number 1 in the west is a probably going to happen, and we also are probably going to win a playoff series again. But people are underestimating the impact Todd Bertuzzi would have had this season and in the playoffs. Im assuming he played at 60% during his time as a Red Wing. Also, he hasnt skated much in the past 3 years; suspension, lockout, injury. With a full offseason, training camp, Bertuzzi will be a top tier player in this league and we coulda had a bargain. Instead Anaheim gets him and is even better.

In order to stick with Anaheim in the playoffs we are going to need to be able to score more goals. They already have better goaltending, they can match us on defense, and whats more, offense is arguably their strength.

Bertuzzi

McDonald

Perry

Getzlaf

Kunitz

Penner

All of which are big, phyisical, talented hockey players who are capable of scoring 25 plus goals. All we have is Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Holmstrom. And Holmstrom is one dimensional, those players are not.

Furthermore, Bertuzzi was a gamble, but if it had panned out he was a player that would have put us over the top to have a GREAT chance of winning the cup. He was a perfect fit and we blew it.

Now that he's lost, we should gamble with Peter Forsberg. Because again, when healthy he has the talent to be an elite player in this league, and we need an elite player to contend with Anaheim. If Forsberg does get hurt. Then whatever, we wouldnt have won without him anyways. It's the same gamble baseball teams make when trading their prospects at the deadline.

I believe Forsberg is a one year contract possibility However, this sounds much better.>>. If Selanne resigns with Anaheim, the ducks have some cap room now, not much, but some and they will close to being against a wall. Burke's concern is future contracts in 2 & 3 years when they will have a considerable amount of players coming up for contract. A situation I believe favors Detroit- time, money, and a certain restricted free agent named Dustin Penner, I firmly believe, is what Holland and company may well be looking hard at. I believe this kid is going to be a very special power forward for years to come. IMO he is both a Babcock and Holland type player. HMMMMM

Sooo, Anaheim's Burke doesn't really want to sign Penner to a long term contract, but, he has threatened to match any offer for him, Kenny offers trade bait (you fill in who you think here) to satisfy Burke, and offers Penner a 5-6 year contract at 3.5-4 million per year. I would do it in a heartbeat, depending on trade bait. Besides, Burke has raided the hell out of the Redwings, time for some PAYBACK!!

What do you guys think???? :thumbup:;):P:P

northstar, id love to be able to get a Dustin Penner. He'd be perfect to get back at Burke for nabbing Bertuzzi. Even if we offered a 5 year 20-24 million dollar contract, i feel Penner would play to it. My only concern would be the compensation. How many firsts would we have to give up?

As is my concern. Giving up 5-6 mill per season for Penner is one thing. Giving up 5-6 Mill per season and giving up 4 first round picks is another. For this reason and the lack of talent left in the UFA's is what makes me think Holland won't pull anything off until the deadline. The Wings never have a problem winning during the regular season, but injuries or lack of toughness during playoffs seems to be our downfall. I think this year Hollands gonna get it right at the deadline, he was on the right track with Bertuzzi last season but things didn't work out as expected.

The Ducks are going to be the Powerhouse team for the next few years

at least. Hopefully some of our own Big prospects will be ready to take the next step by 2009. Until then we need 1 or 2 vets to plug the holes on what is a very talented looking Wings roster. I just have a feeling that one of the guys out of camp is gunna grab a roster spot this year.

A LW, who would complement a line of Dats and Grigs.

im not scared of the ducks . you guys are forgetting we almost beat them without 2 of our top 4 d men and i still think we should of won anyways , the ducks got real lucky breaks ........not to mention they lost neidermayer and selanne , bertuzzi and schneider are definetly not as good

keep the faith guys , i know we can beat the ducks and others in the west

No way we get Penner. Burke is not going to let one of the premier power forwards in the game get away, especially to the Red Wings...The only way I see us gaining a forward is through a trade. We could debate the trade for days...

The most likely reason we wouldn't get Penner is because of what Anaheim will "suggest" in return (easily 4 first round picks). As far as Burke is concerned, I can't see him having TOO much leverage in Penners decision. By picking up Schneider and Bertuzzi they have used up a lot of cap room. Everything depends on the decisions of Neidermeyer and Selanne if they choose to retire, there will be plenty of caproom to keep Penner aboard.

No way we get Penner. Burke is not going to let one of the premier power forwards in the game get away, especially to the Red Wings...The only way I see us gaining a forward is through a trade. We could debate the trade for days...

we cant get him anyways cause of zetterbergs new deal coming but if a team like the oilers really wanted penner burke would be really screwed ..........he'd have to give getzlaf and perry the same .......beauchemin kunitz and pahlsson are all making 600 000 or less so the ducks soon enough will be dishing out the big bucks + they already have giggy and pronger making the cash and bertuzzi and schneider as well , if the oilers sent that same deal to the ducks penner would be theres as we speak

Guest Crymson

IF. If. If.

Plus, you're giving up on the team before the season even starts.

Thanks for the info, that we need a forward. Got any ideas?

You know what? It seems you're pretty into the whole winning thing, and that's fine, so if we don't get that forward then why don't you just not watch? You apparently think we've got no chance then.

The most likely reason we wouldn't get Penner is because of what Anaheim will "suggest" in return (easily 4 first round picks). As far as Burke is concerned, I can't see him having TOO much leverage in Penners decision. By picking up Schneider and Bertuzzi they have used up a lot of cap room. Everything depends on the decisions of Neidermeyer and Selanne if they choose to retire, there will be plenty of caproom to keep Penner aboard.

It won't be 4 first round picks because we do not have enough cap room to offer that much $$$. The compensation you recieve is based on how much the offer is. It would likely be 2 first rounders, a second, and a third. Pretty steep price still...

Edited by WhiteLightning91

you think Holland doesn't know we need a another forward?

DETROIT -- Now that they've signed goalie Dominik Hasek, the Wings have one key roster spot to fill.

They'd like to get a forward to make up for losing Robert Lang, Todd Bertuzzi and Kyle Calder to free agency.

There are some interesting options, including Peter Forsberg, Alexei Yashin and former Red Wing Brendan Shanahan.

"I'd like to sign one more NHL forward between now and training camp," general manager Ken Holland said Friday. "I'm talking to a couple people. You get calls every day, more agents are calling. For us it comes down to price."

you think Holland doesn't know we need a another forward?

DETROIT -- Now that they've signed goalie Dominik Hasek, the Wings have one key roster spot to fill.

They'd like to get a forward to make up for losing Robert Lang, Todd Bertuzzi and Kyle Calder to free agency.

There are some interesting options, including Peter Forsberg, Alexei Yashin and former Red Wing Brendan Shanahan.

"I'd like to sign one more NHL forward between now and training camp," general manager Ken Holland said Friday. "I'm talking to a couple people. You get calls every day, more agents are calling. For us it comes down to price."

Of course Holland knows we need another forward. Its just about whether or not the guys who are available right now are worth it or we should wait until the deadline next year. Us fans only know of about 50% of the guys who are truly available. The other half is always there though. Take a look at Kyle Calder. I don't remember anyone mentioning his name as being available at last years deadline. That is the type of trade/signing I expect Holland to make.

Based on that article, I think he wants to get one more forward slotted in before the season. Just my opinion. But I would be just fine waiting until the trade deadline when the cellar teams are desperate to give up soon-to-be UFA's. Nothin to do but sit and wait.

Guest Crymson

Of course Holland knows we need another forward. Its just about whether or not the guys who are available right now are worth it or we should wait until the deadline next year. Us fans only know of about 50% of the guys who are truly available. The other half is always there though. Take a look at Kyle Calder. I don't remember anyone mentioning his name as being available at last years deadline. That is the type of trade/signing I expect Holland to make.

The thread-starter has made it clear that we've got no chance whatsoever of winning anything this year if we don't get another forward, so please just start panicking now, ok?

Guest Lebda4Pres

WE dont need anyone else WE have CARL CORAZZINI YAY THE BEST P.O.S. EVER WOOOOOOOOOO

(SARCASM)

Edited by Lebda4Pres

IF. If. If.

Plus, you're giving up on the team before the season even starts.

Thanks for the info, that we need a forward. Got any ideas?

You know what? It seems you're pretty into the whole winning thing, and that's fine, so if we don't get that forward then why don't you just not watch? You apparently think we've got no chance then.

ahhh, you gotta love the typical LGW response to a topic. You people, not saying all, have to realize that everyone on here has their own opinion. Mine is that i dont think the wings are strong enough to win the SC with their current roster. That does not mean i am not a fan or am still not going to watch. It's just a honest, realistic, non-biased opinion. Crymson, if you think we can win with our current roster, which has even less toughness than one season ago, god bless your heart.

Guest Crymson

ahhh, you gotta love the typical LGW response to a topic. You people, not saying all, have to realize that everyone on here has their own opinion. Mine is that i dont think the wings are strong enough to win the SC with their current roster. That does not mean i am not a fan or am still not going to watch. It's just a honest, realistic, non-biased opinion. Crymson, if you think we can win with our current roster, which has even less toughness than one season ago, god bless your heart.

Yes, I've gotta love the typical LGW response to a topic--that is, the typical response disagreeing with a poster who claims that the team has no hope.

I feel sorry for you if you feel that posts espousing hope are somehow wrong.

You clearly have your opinion that we'll lose.. so just shut it and watch the Blue Jackets.

I have no problem with someone disagreeing with me. However, i do have a problem with someone questioning my fan hood for the sole reason that i do not believe my team islegitimate stanley cup contenders as of right now.

I dont think the Lions are going to win the Super Bowl this year. Additionally, i can not stand Matt Millen, and believe he should have been four seasons ago. But this doesnt mean i will root for a rival. Get the picture?