Rate this topic

Freep Article.

Link

Wings like Abdelkader

But MSU star won't be rushed

July 7, 2007

BY GEORGE SIPPLE

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Justin Abdelkader won an NCAA championship with Michigan State and is a former recipient of Michigan's Mr. Hockey award.

But the best honor -- playing for the Red Wings -- might still be yet to come.

"We love his intensity," said Red Wings assistant general manager Jim Nill. "One of the reasons we drafted him is because of the physical aspect he can bring. His offensive skills are starting to develop more. We projected him to be a three-year college player."

Abdelkader, who is participating in a conditioning camp for Wings prospects through Tuesday at Joe Louis Arena,

Freep Article.

Link

Wings like Abdelkader

But MSU star won't be rushed

July 7, 2007

BY GEORGE SIPPLE

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Justin Abdelkader won an NCAA championship with Michigan State and is a former recipient of Michigan's Mr. Hockey award.

But the best honor -- playing for the Red Wings -- might still be yet to come.

"We love his intensity," said Red Wings assistant general manager Jim Nill. "One of the reasons we drafted him is because of the physical aspect he can bring. His offensive skills are starting to develop more. We projected him to be a three-year college player."

Abdelkader, who is participating in a conditioning camp for Wings prospects through Tuesday at Joe Louis Arena,

I can't wait till Abdelkader and the rest of our prospect's are ready to make the jump to play for the Wings, the future look's bright. :thumbup:

Since I go to Michigan State, I'm slightly bias.

He did score the winning goal in the NCAA championship.

He's not the best with penalty shots, but he's a gritty player that will drive into the net and good physical presence.

This kid is just simply amazing... i played against him in the 2004 state semi-finals and he was just impossible to cover. No matter what you did he was always behind you! he will make the wings without a problem in after he's done at MSU!

Since I go to Michigan State, I'm slightly bias.

He did score the winning goal in the NCAA championship.

He's not the best with penalty shots, but he's a gritty player that will drive into the net and good physical presence.

I'll just be happy my Wolverines won't have to play against him any more!!!! :P

It's fun to see these idiots say this kind of stuff constantly but have no real logic to back it up. It annoys me at times and at others just entertains me. Crymson for Wings GM!

Or its even funnier to see these idiots who obviously cant catch on to SARCASM. Either way.

I was looking for some info on him and found the clip of his game winner with 18.9 secs left.

http://www.detroithockey.net/multimedia/981.php

And a hard working goal in the CCHA championship game.

http://www.detroithockey.net/multimedia/813.php

And wasn't Abdelkader the one people here were complaining about, because they thought the Wings should've taken someone else instead of him??

Edited by haroldsnepsts

I was looking for some info on him and found the clip of his game winner with 18.9 secs left.

I remember seeing that video, the second effort he put in is impressive. I like the guy, although I haven't heard enough about him to make a great assessment.

It feels like it's been an eternity since people were talking about Kuznetsov's size on our then-gritty team, and here we are again hoping we finally got the puzzle pieces in some of these guys.

This kid is just simply amazing... i played against him in the 2004 state semi-finals and he was just impossible to cover. No matter what you did he was always behind you! he will make the wings without a problem in after he's done at MSU!

2004? Is that when he played for Mona Shores? I played against him in the trenton showcase and my line shut him down by only giving him one shot the entire game. he was good though. However Brighton went on to win that game 7-2. now why the hell have i not been drafted for my wicked defensive game??

And a hard working goal in the CCHA championship game.

http://www.detroithockey.net/multimedia/813.php

And wasn't Abdelkader the one people here were complaining about, because they thought the Wings should've taken someone else instead of him??

Wings fans complaining about something on this forum that they don't understand, I find that hard to believe. :rolleyes:

Seeing as how Abdelkader is a defensive/checking line forward and we need more scoring, they have a right to complain...

Paul Statsny and Guillaume Latendresse were still available. They were both NHL ready last season and Statsny had a shot at the Calder, while Latendresse is showing signs of becoming a premier power forward.

I just don't think that Abdelkader is what we're in need of right now, or when he was drafted...

Edited by WhiteLightning91

Seeing as how Abdelkader is a defensive/checking line forward and we need more scoring, they have a right to complain...

Paul Statsny and Guillaume Latendresse were still available. They were both NHL ready last season and Statsny had a shot at the Calder, while Latendresse is showing signs of becoming a premier power forward.

I just don't think that Abdelkader is what we're in need of right now, or when he was drafted...

Ouch.

Ouch.

In retrospect, ouch. There's cases like that virtually every year in the draft because developing hockey players are such a crapshoot.

I remember people here wanting Latendresse, but I don't think anyone really thought Stastny would do this well this fast (hence his being drafted 44th overall).

Edited by haroldsnepsts