• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingedWheels

Drake Siginng Probably Won't be The Last

Rate this topic

According to the Detroit Free Press:

"Including prospect Igor Grigorenko in the equation, the Wings now have 13 forwards. Still, they’ll continue to seek an offensive forward to shore up the two top lines. Drake can be sent to Grand Rapids if needed, seeing as it’s unlikely he’d get picked up off waivers."

I highly doubt the Red Wings signed Dallas Drake to play in Grand Rapids. Are they looking for a top six forward still? Yes, I would say they are. However, Drake was brought here to play for the Red Wings every night. I fully expect Dallas to be in the line-up when the season starts.

That makes no sense. Drake isn't washed up, he could have played somewhere else on a 3rd line. He's been signed to play on our 4th line more then likely and and add grit to the lineup. No way is he an option to be sent down, he would have never signed had that been the case. Now could he be trade bait if Grigs makes the team? that sounds a bit more likely.

But yes I dont think the wings are done yet.

yes he adds some grit to the team and maybe a little leadership. But what else does he add?

I don't see him beeing a big time goal scorer and can't imagine him playing on the pp. What role is he going to fill on this team?

I don't see alot of teams being very interested in making a trade for him either. I would think that if a team wanted him they would have allready pulled the trigger.

Not a huge fan of this deal.

for sure Holland is not done. we need a legit second line center, preferably

with some physicallity package. and/or a real scoring threat to handle some

serious minutes.

the problem is such guys just don't grow on trees and Kenny might not

be able to shop one for a reasonable price. with no high draft picks and

crucial prospects being involved in such discussions

Drake was brought here for one reason and that is to run guys over and pound the opposing D into the boards. I think kenny waits for the arbitration hearing to see who he can scoop up, if he can't get anyone from that I expect a trade sometime during the season.

Guest Agalloch

This thought did enter my mind: Could the Dallas Drake signing be a move in preperation for getting rid of Malts through a trade? Huds and Malts trade package?

Um, no. Are you serious?

Don't send Drake to GR. He's not a bad player. In fact, he's exactly what the Wings have been lacking for quite a while now.

If he feels GR is the option, send Grigorenko there before Drake. Grigorenko is still young. Drake isn't the type of player that you go out and sign just to go to GR. I will hate Holland for a very long time if he sends Drake down, because that's just useless.

Edited by Kp-Wings

I also don't see Drake spending time in GR. But beyond a trade where is this scoring forward going to come from?

Yeah dude, it wouldn't make sense for someone in their late 30's to sign a contract with us if he's just going to play in our minor team

This thought did enter my mind: Could the Dallas Drake signing be a move in preperation for getting rid of Malts through a trade? Huds and Malts trade package?

I doubt the Red Wings would sign Maltby to a three-year extension to then turn around and trade him. Most teams would probably like to have Maltby maybe for one season, not three. I'm thrilled Malts will be here for three more years, but I highly doubt there are many other teams begging Holland to acquire Maltby for three years. I could see Hudler possibly getting moved at some point, but Maltby is not going to get traded.

Edited by GoWings1905

Don't send Drake to GR. He's not a bad player. In fact, he's exactly what the Wings have been lacking for quite a while now.

If he feels GR is the option, send Grigorenko there before Drake. Grigorenko is still young. Drake isn't the type of player that you go out and sign just to go to GR. I will hate Holland for a very long time if he sends Drake down, because that's just useless.

it's too much of a risk sending grigs down...

he could just f*** off back to russia..it's in his contract

Here's my theory:

Cleary's moving up to the top two lines based on his performance last season and especially the playoffs (not to mention the fact that we don't have 6 forwards who're better choices then Dan). This leaves a hole in the grind line. Drake is a perfect solution to add even more grit to the third line.

it's too much of a risk sending grigs down...

he could just f*** off back to russia..it's in his contract

I'm aware of that stupid bulls***. If he decides to do that, it'll just show what a great sport he is. Personally I don't see it as a loss, since he's never played here before anyways. I highly doubt Igor Grigorenko is going to be the difference between the Wings winning the Stanley Cup or not.

I doubt the Red Wings would sign Maltby to a three-year extension to then turn around and trade him. Most teams would probably like to have Matlby maybe for one season, not three. I'm thrilled Malts will be here for three more years, but I highly doubt there are many other teams begging Holland to acquire Maltby for three years. I could see Hudler possibly getting moved at some point, but Maltby is not going to get traded.

This just in:

Speculation involving the trading of Maltby or Draper is the leading cause of cancer among LGW readers.

Um, no. Are you serious?

Um, yes.

Think about it.

Maltby has been compeltely ineffective the past two seasons. He makes about a half mill more a year than we signed

Drake for. Drake had more points than Maltby last year. Drake is still a good aggitator, Maltby hasn't been an effective aggitator for years (since the lock-out). Holland could dump some salary to get us a top forward and still get more out of Drake than we've been getting out of Malts.

BTW...Malts has always been one of my favorites and this pains me to think about...but this could be entirely possible.

Um....there's your answer.

Edited by Learn2LuvIt

Yeah. That's it. Let's get rid of one the best penalty killers and agitator in the league along with a future superstar.

Also, there is no way in hell Drake plays in GR. Not a chance.

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

Um, yes.

Think about it.

Maltby has been compeltely ineffective the past two seasons. He makes about a half mill more a year than we signed

Drake for. Drake had more points than Maltby last year. Drake is still a good aggitator, Maltby hasn't been an effective aggitator for years (since the lock-out). Holland could dump some salary to get us a top forward and still get more out of Drake than we've been getting out of Malts.

BTW...Matts has always been one of my favorites and this pains me to think about...but this could be entirely possible.

Um....there's your answer.

Have you watched any Red Wings games for the past two seasons? You do realize Maltby is still one of the premier penalty killers in the league? He also is a great agitator, which results in opponents taking bad penalties. You are right that Maltby's skills have diminished over the years, but to call him completely ineffective is far from the truth.