• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

haroldsnepsts

Who will be the new LGW whipping boy?

Rate this topic

Who will get bashed most here next season?  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just wondering now that Lang is gone, who will be the object of all the hyperbolic hate on LGW.

A player who went from being mostly considered a decent addition to the team, to just okay, to the worst player to ever lace up skates and the root of all problems on the Wings.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Lilja cost us the Ducks series, that's enough to get my vote.

Not to get off topic here, but I'm having trouble comprehending how you could say Lilja cost us the Ducks series. If you are talking about the giveaway in Game 5, that could have happened to anyone. Tough break. You do realize who scored the only goal in that game for the Red Wings right?

If you're looking for a singular scapegoat, you could just as easily go with Dats for the bad interference penalty at the end of the third period (that led to the tying goal).

No, that was a ridiculous call by the referee. Calls like that is the perfect example of what's gone wrong with the new rules. That shouldn't have been called by any standards.

Not to get off topic here, but I'm having trouble comprehending how you could say Lilja cost us the Ducks series. If you are talking about the giveaway in Game 5, that could have happened to anyone. Tough break. You do realize who scored the only goal in that game for the Red Wings right?

That's exactly what I'm talking about. It was the most stupid move I think I have ever seen. How can a guy like Lilja even think of trying to skate the puck up middle ice, in front of the net -when facing two Ducks? How can he not see them coming miles ahead? That couldn't have happened to anyone, that was the kind of boneheaded play that could get you benched for an entire series.

No, that was a ridiculous call by the referee. Calls like that is the perfect example of what's gone wrong with the new rules. That shouldn't have been called by any standards.

Dats stopped skating and interfered with the guy. I don't really like the call, but it was pretty consistent with how they'd been calling them that game. they just didn't swallow the whistle in the final minutes like they used to. If anything I think the opposite is now true. Refs seem to get some sort of bonus points for calling a penalty at crucial moments when they used to let the players decide the game.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. It was the most stupid move I think I have ever seen. How can a guy like Lilja even think of trying to skate the puck up middle ice, in front of the net -when facing two Ducks? How can he not see them coming miles ahead? That couldn't have happened to anyone, that was the kind of boneheaded play that could get you benched for an entire series.

It was a bad play, but didn't cost the Wings the series. If anything did, it was their failure to capitalize on the countless power play chances anaheim gave them, not one bonehead play by Lilypads.

Dats stopped skating and interfered with the guy. I don't really like the call, but it was pretty consistent with how they'd been calling them that game. they just didn't swallow the whistle in the final minutes like they used to. If anything I think the opposite is now true. Refs seem to get some sort of bonus points for calling a penalty at crucial moments when they used to let the players decide the game.

That call was awful. Period.

It was a bad play, but didn't cost the Wings the series. If anything did, it was their failure to capitalize on the countless power play chances anaheim gave them, not one bonehead play by Lilypads.

Are you kidding me?! It was game 5 OT. In a game where the Ducks scored the game tying goal with only seconds left to play. Not to mention the victory would have put Detroit in the series lead. Talk about a psychological win for the Ducks! That loss was huge.

If I'm not mistaken, Detroit managed to win game 2 despite being grossly outplayed by the Ducks, and PP was how they did it.

That call was awful. Period.

Are you kidding me?! It was game 5 OT. In a game where the Ducks scored the game tying goal with only seconds left to play. Not to mention the victory would have put Detroit in the series lead. Talk about a psychological win for the Ducks! That loss was huge.

If I'm not mistaken, Detroit managed to win game 2 despite being grossly outplayed by the Ducks, and PP was how they did it.

You're mistaken. That was game one and both goals were fluky ones off Beachemin. Basically Detroit won because they hung on to the two own-goal lead provided by the Ducks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=270511005

Yup. And the Ducks were able to score that last second goal because of the penalty Datsyuk took, creating a 6 on 4. Bu that was all the refs fault, right? Dats stopped skating and interfered. But I'm not pinning the series loss on Dats, just like Lilja's bad play didn't cost us the series.

The Wings failed to convert on multiple power play chances throughout the series. Against a team like Anaheim, if you don't seize those opportunities, you're not going to win.

I think Hud's will be the whipping boy no matter how he performs. He could put up a hattrick but as soon as he is shown losing a shoving match with a bigger opponent people will be all over how we don't need a player who can not make a physiical impact.

what did Lebda do to make this list? haha

I voted for Lilja, although I was torn between him and Sammy.

I had to throw in a darkhorse there. :D

The lower tier D-men are always candidates for bashing. People hang on to a few mistakes they see and never get over it.

I almost put Kronwall. If he doesn't play great every game, people start saying he's overrated because he was supposed to be the second coming of Lidstrom. Which no one ever claimed. "Nick Jr." has more to do with his name than his play, especially since he and Lids play a pretty different style.

I think Hud's will be the whipping boy no matter how he performs. He could put up a hattrick but as soon as he is shown losing a shoving match with a bigger opponent people will be all over how we don't need a player who can not make a physiical impact.

Huds is another good candidate. There's a pretty big pro-Hudler camp here, but that may only accentuate the bashing.

As long as he's in Babcock's doghouse though and getting limited minutes, I don't see him having a chance to really become the new whipping boy.

I think Datsyuk is a prime candidate if he does not produce. With the BIG contract he got, the community will be furious if he does any less than a superstar.

From my point of view Datsyuk earned himself some slack with his recent playoff performance.

You're mistaken. That was game one and both goals were fluky ones off Beachemin. Basically Detroit won because they hung on to the two own-goal lead provided by the Ducks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=270511005

Yup. And the Ducks were able to score that last second goal because of the penalty Datsyuk took, creating a 6 on 4. Bu that was all the refs fault, right? Dats stopped skating and interfered. But I'm not pinning the series loss on Dats, just like Lilja's bad play didn't cost us the series.

The Wings failed to convert on multiple power play chances throughout the series. Against a team like Anaheim, if you don't seize those opportunities, you're not going to win.

Goals are goals. Fluky or not. The issue at hand was PP.

That was not a penalty in my opinion, and even if it was -it didn't cost Detroit the game. Lilja cost us the game in a critical fashion. Up till that point Detroit had every chance to win the series -even without a great PP.