• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Defenseman13

Black Ice, history of the colored leagues

Rate this topic

THere is a GREAT book out that reveals a lot of previously unresearched hockey history, namely the contributions of colored players.

The video kicks in about :37 with dialogue.

edit: oops, forgot the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwlNWCkF6jQ

I have to get my chance here to name drop, as when I was in San Diego I was lucky enough to talk with WIllie O'ree, who was the first black player in the NHL. I believe he was a Bruin in the 1950-60's, and was also a San Diego Gull in the 50's. He's a great guy and still has the O'ree All-stars (youth) every year and heads youth development in the NHL. He would often come to the sports bar that sponsored the Gulls, and always wore his suit with NHL crest and NHL hat... a real ambassador. Unfortunately the Gulls folded last year. He was always at games and talking to fans.

Here we are after a game in SD...

IPB Image

Edited by Defenseman13

Thanks for the link! Cool jersey, but I must ask: Are those maple leafs on it? GO CANADA!

Those were one night only jerseys worn on Canada Night. Some of them were auctioned off. I think the highest bid was $1600 for Curtis Brown's jersey... we were lucky enough to get him during the lockout.

Those were one night only jerseys worn on Canada Night. Some of them were auctioned off. I think the highest bid was $1600 for Curtis Brown's jersey... we were lucky enough to get him during the lockout.

Fun. Gotta love events like that. There's something special about the feeder teams too, eh? I love the idea of seeing the up-and-coming stars.

Willie was at the AHL All Star Game when it was hosted in Grand Rapids. I had been doing some work for the Assc Press and Sportzdomain and got a chance to speak with him. He's a great man with a lot of fantastic stories. He was kind enough to sign a stick for me (Which is proudly displayed in my office). I'm going to look up this book and give it a read. Thanks for the heads up.