• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
German Red Wing

Reports: 2nd outdoor game in the works

Rate this topic

Can you say... big house. Break that measly attendance award in peices.

The game should go to Detroit because of the dismantelling of Buffalo this year.

Oh and a doubleheader would be better

Edited by vangvace

Guest jaytan

They've already had one at Spartan Stadium.

I'd love to see an outdoor game at the Big House too, against the Leafs. I'd even try to get down there to see that one.

I would love to see an outdoor hockey game at the big house.

And then, after the Wings sell out a 100k+ crowd, we'll see a new arena that seats 50k...

how could it not sell out, it would be crazy

I disagree with team choices,

This type of event has O6 competition written all over it.

DET, CHI, BOS, TOR, MTL, NYR.

They are all close enough that travel would not be too bad.

However Bettman will probably find a way to make it Florida V. Anaheim in the big house!!!!

Edited by Opie

If the Penguins are the visitors, it can't be in Detroit. Wings don't play the Pens this year.

how is that possible??

dont all teams at least play each other once...

be it maybe this year we are in PIT and next year PIT is here...

No the wings play the Northeast in their barns this year and I think the southeast in Detroit. Could be wrong about the southeast but I know they are in Boston this year and I am going to get tickets!!

I can't see them planning for a game in Buffalo or Detroit, the weather is too unpredictable. At least in Edmonton, they know when it's going to be freezing.

I can't see them planning for a game in Buffalo or Detroit, the weather is too unpredictable. At least in Edmonton, they know when it's going to be freezing.

They did an outdoor game in East Lansing. Detroit isn't any different.

They've already had one at Spartan Stadium.

I'd love to see an outdoor game at the Big House too, against the Leafs. I'd even try to get down there to see that one.

Wings/Leafs, Michigan/MSU doubleheader at the Big House, anyone? I know Michigan was talking with the Wings a few years ago about both teams having a game. Not sure if those discussions continued....

-Tim

Wings/Leafs, Michigan/MSU doubleheader at the Big House, anyone? I know Michigan was talking with the Wings a few years ago about both teams having a game. Not sure if those discussions continued....

-Tim

That would be amazing!!

GO WINGS AND GO BLUE!

If the game was to be held. Spartan Stadium would be out of the question probably because MSU converted the field to natural grass a few years ago. When the Spartans hosted the "Cold War" Spartan stadium had the old turf which really didn't hurt the field when they put the rink on top of it. at the same time. The "Big House" had the natural grass field. U of M now has the turf field so Michigan Stadium and the 107,000+ and the closer proximity to Detroit would make it the better choice.

I would think that either Comerica Park or Ford Field would be better suited for the game. Ford Field will have the 2010 Frozen Four there so they should at least have a game or two to try it out.

^^^

Comerica is natural grass, and I don't think baseball parks really have the shape for a hockey game.

Ford Field is inside. Although it would be cool to do a game there, like you said, see how it will go for the Frozen Four.

The Leafs have already been approved for an outdoor game (I think it's supposed to be New Years Day '09), though it would be at the very small BMO Field.

Interesting... so either the Pens are going there for a visit and there is no Detroit/Buffalo in the mix or maybe two different outdoor games that day.

I like option C. Toronto, Buffalo, and Detroit each hosting that day.

If priced right I could see the game at the big house crushing the current football attendance record.

I would think that either Comerica Park or Ford Field would be better suited for the game. Ford Field will have the 2010 Frozen Four there so they should at least have a game or two to try it out.

Comerica would be interesting, but it's real grass so the ice would screw it up. Unless they resod it during the offseason, which I'm not sure if that's customary or not. I also don't know how good of a view you'd have from a lot of the seats.

Ford Field needs to host a game at some point. I can't imagine that the NCAA granted them the Frozen Four without the agreement that they'll give it a run-through at some point to make sure the ice isn't going to suck for their biggest games of the year. But it's inside, so the novelty would only be that the crowd would be huge--not that the game was outside. I probably wouldn't drive back to Michigan for a Wings game inside Ford Field. But an outdoor one? You bet your ass I would.

Michigan Stadium makes sense. It probably wouldn't screw up the FieldTurf, they'd have no trouble breaking the attendance record. It's not NEARLY as far from Detroit as East Lansing is, and there's the potential to have it double up with a Michigan/MSU game (though I'm not sure how they ice would be with 2 games being played on it).

It's too bad there's no NHL team in Wisconsin. I'd love to see there be another game at Lambeau Field.

-Tim