• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lebda4Pres

Lundqvist signs 1-year deal with Rangers

Rate this topic

Bulls***. The true question is have YOU ever seen him play. When he was healthy, he was being put out on the PP nearly every game. I watched a ton of Rangers games this season. And although he was out with an injury for awhile, when he was in there, he sure as hell looked alot better than someone with "zero hockey sense". If he has zero hockey sense, then obviously you have zero common sense. Cause anyone around the league would tell you Malik is more than decent. Not great either. But not decent. Watch a few Rangers games before you spout off with rediculous statements. Yeah coaches always like to put guys with no hockey sense out on the PP. :rolleyes:

First of all, being on the PP does not automatically mean you have hockey sense. Secondly, there are a lot of positives to New Yorks game that not a lot of people talk about, but Marek Malik is not one of them. Marcel Hossa is actually an impressive checker, I saw Avery show off some very impressive skill, Straka, although I wasnt too impressed with his strength, has very underrated skill. And on defense, its a wonder to me that Rozsival isnt more talked about, but then again, his turn around did just come on when he went to New York.

Malik did have a better showing in the playoffs after New York found its defensive game, I will give you that, but from start to finish, Roszival and Mara were easily better and considering the experience he has on Girardi and Tyutin, he wasnt as far ahead of them as you may like others to think.

And just in case youre wondering, the Rags are my 2nd favorite team.

I totally agree with you there. But I believe that there D is just good enough with their forwards and goaltending, to get into the playoffs. Sure they might not go to the finals or anything. But I would be completely shocked if they missed the post season with that squad.

Who said anything about them not getting into the playoffs? :lol: Theyll sure as hell get into the playoffs and Id give them top 5 in the east easily.

Come Playoff time last year the Rangers were one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the East. It took them some time to gel but when they finally got it together they were a force to be reckoned with. This offseason they have done nothing but sign one of the better playmakers in the league in Gomez to play with arguably the best player in the world. And they sign Drury who has done nothing but win at evey level he has ever payed at. They have not lost anyone good but Nylander. In my eyes the Rangers have improved with these signings. The defense is one year older, with guys like Tyutin and Girardi ready to have breakout years, If Staal is going to play in the NHL next season (which Renney has hinted that he will) our D corps is looking much improved from last season. Buffalo got worse this offseason, New Jersey got worse, The Fish Sticks got worse. The Rangers are one of 2 teams in the east that made the playoffs last season who actually got better this offseason the other one bieng the Penguins. How can anyone say that the Rangers ar not at least a playoff team.

First of all I am sorry but the Rangers have basically told Lundqvist what they thought of him giving him a one year deal. They rather go out and sign two new players to long term contracts, then reward a goalie who has won more games in his first two years than any goalie in team history. Lundvist gets a one year deal instead of a long term contract? They nearly take him to arbitration to nickel and dime the guy. What happens next season?? My question is now, what is his status next season? Is he an RFA or a UFA? If he is a UFA the Rangers have shot themselves in the foot with this deal! He deserved a big raise, but Drury and Gomez aren't gonna strap on the pads and play goalie. I might be biased having played my share of goal in my life, but goaltending is the most important position on the team. If Lundqvist can hit the market next off season I am telling you right now he is gone after being treated the way he has been.

As far as the Rags defense, I have no idea what happened to Rozsival in the last 2 seasons because until then he was right on par with almost the rest of the defensemen on the Rangers, that being below average. He has been very good, Malik is solid but he's never scored more than 23 points in a single season and he is not an offensive minded d-man, but Mara makes up for that because that is all Mara can do. The teams defense is weak from top to bottom. They don't have a true star in the crew. They aren't even as deep on D as they were last year, they lost Rachunek to the Devils. If Rozsival ever got hurt the Rangers would have a heck of a time replacing him. They need help on their blueline.

Edited by RedWingsJunkie

Ok now your just being silly here. They replaced Nylander with Gomez, whether they have great chemistry or not will remain to be seen. Gomez and Drury > Nylander.....no brainer. Their Defence isn't stellar, but serviceable. As long as Lundqvist stays healthy they will easily make the playoffs :rolleyes:

They could have kept Nylander (who's a lot better than Gomez), and still signed Drury. Gomez got more money then Nylander ended up getting from Washington anyways.

As for their defense: Tyutin is the Rags best defenseman. He also has the most potential of being a top defenseman out of anyone on their current roster. Rozsival is pretty good. Mara is good offensivly, but terrible defensivily. Malik is a dinosaur. He's what you'd call an "old NHL" type defenseman. He played a lot of his game based on clutching and grabbing because he's a bad skater. Strudwick is a good, physical veteran. Girardi has potential. So does Pock.

In short, the Rags defense isn't plain awful, but it still is something to be desired. Right now their top defenseman are either Tyutin, Rozsival, or Mara. None of those three guys are top defenseman calibre: their good #3-4 guys, but that's it. The rest of their defense either consists of #5-6 guys like Strudwick, or rookies like Girardi and Pock. And of course, there's still Marek Malik.

Their problem is that they don't have a true top defenseman. Some of those guys are capable, like Tyutin. But right now they are not at that level. Who's to say that they can't be? They probably can. We'll wait and see what happens when the season starts.

First of all I am sorry but the Rangers have basically told Lundqvist what they thought of him giving him a one year deal. They rather go out and sign two new players to long term contracts, then reward a goalie who has won more games in his first two years than any goalie in team history. Lundvist gets a one year deal instead of a long term contract? They nearly take him to arbitration to nickel and dime the guy. What happens next season?? My question is now, what is his status next season? Is he an RFA or a UFA? If he is a UFA the Rangers have shot themselves in the foot with this deal! He deserved a big raise, but Drury and Gomez aren't gonna strap on the pads and play goalie. I might be biased having played my share of goal in my life, but goaltending is the most important position on the team. If Lundqvist can hit the market next off season I am telling you right now he is gone after being treated the way he has been.

As far as the Rags defense, I have no idea what happened to Rozsival in the last 2 seasons because until then he was right on par with almost the rest of the defensemen on the Rangers, that being below average. He has been very good, Malik is solid but he's never scored more than 23 points in a single season and he is not an offensive minded d-man, but Mara makes up for that because that is all Mara can do. The teams defense is weak from top to bottom. They don't have a true star in the crew. They aren't even as deep on D as they were last year, they lost Rachunek to the Devils. If Rozsival ever got hurt the Rangers would have a heck of a time replacing him. They need help on their blueline.

Actually had the Rangers taken Henrik to arbitration he probably would have been awarded 2.5 to 3 million dollars next season. By signing him to this contract they actually showed him that he is their franchise goalie and will be for a long time to come. They avoided a nasty arbitration hearing and gave him a nice raise. The only reason they signed him to a one year deal is because they can't afford to sign him to a long term deal untill after January first But I can bet you that Sather and Lundqvist already have a long term deal worked out. And by the way Henrik will be a group 2 RFA after this year if he does not sign a new deal before the 08-09 season.

Again, the Defense does not have any super stars but they are a solid group. How many superstars did the Hurricanes have on D when they won the cup? The Rangers have enough scoring and good enough goaltending to compensate. Also the Rangers had the second fewest goals allowed in the eastern conference last season so obviously the defense was doing somthing right.

http://www.outsidethegarden.com/boards/for...=74&start=1

Rangers have roughly 4 mill in capspace left it seems.. Whats up with jagrs contract, i thought he earned like 8 mill? All in all, i think they have done a very good job this offseason, aside from not signing Nylander and instead Gomez. Thats the one thing i would have done different.. But hey in no GM :).

Was wondering, do you rangers fans think its possible they might drop some dead weight, just to be able to have some deadline capspace? (a.k.a. Cullen or Malik it seems :))

Again, the Defense does not have any super stars but they are a solid group. How many superstars did the Hurricanes have on D when they won the cup?

I am not saying they need superstars but they need at least a serviceable #1 Dman.

Are you trying to tell me that Bret Hedican, Glen Wesley, and Oleg Tverdosky are on par with the Rags d you are smoking and I want some!

I will give you Oleg, he got hurt and hasn't made it back to the NHL since (I actually watch him play for the Manchester Monarchs now).

The guys I mentioned may not be in the running for the norris but they were at the time a hell of a lot better than what the rags have.