Ok as of now we have seven defensman on the roster:

Lidstrom

Cheli

Rafalski

Kronwall

Lilja

Lebda

Quincey

Lets say we are done signing defensman. Thats 7 d six of which will play. Do you split time between the 2 or do you just go with whoever plays better?

TSN scouting report: Quincey

Assets Displays all-around ability and owns a very projectable frame. Skates well and is not shy about throwing his weight around.

Flaws Is still somewhat raw, and needs to round out his game. Consistency remains a major obstacle, as is the case with most young defensemen.

Career potential Top four defenseman.

Lebda:

Assets Moves well with the puck, and limits his mistakes in the defensive zone. Owns offensive potential.

Flaws Doesn't own ideal NHL size for a defenseman, and isn't physical at all. Needs to display more consistency at the highest level.

Career potential Top six defenseman.

So this is just my opinion here, but I see Lebda as nothing more than he really is now except he may put up some decent numbers down the road. With Quincey I see a guy who one day will be that defensive stopper that handles the other teams big forwards and clears the front of the net. I don't see him putting up huge offensive numbers but if he can fill out his 6-2 frame to about 215-220 and be consistent i see top 4 written all over that kid. Lebda is no slouch either but if we go with that 7 going into the season I'd like to see quincey get a shot. We already have Lidstrom and rafalski and kronwall and possibly kindl soon and ericsson. I like Lebda but I like Quincey better, I just don't see Lebda fitting in.

P.S feel free to flame :)

Edited by redwingfan19

Guest DetroitIan

Despite the fact that Quincey was incredably poised in every single NHL game he's played, I still have to take Lebda. He's a pretty crafty guy. He's got tons of speed. He can shoot the puck. And he likes to rush the zone. I love that from a defenseman. If Lebda were to get injured, than yeah Quincey should definitely be in there. But until then, thats Lebda's spot on the roster.

lebda over quincy, just for offense...

however, i noticed at the end of last year, quincey seemed very responsible and aware defensively, and almost never out of position...

they both have some upside, but for now, lebda, but if someone goes down quincey can step in

Add to this conundrum that Derek Meech is subject to waivers and cannot be sent down to Grand Rapids. That means 8 defensemen (9 if you count Ference, which you shouldn't - he was signed strictly for Griffins depth).

Quincey played well enough in the playoffs under huge pressure last season to earn a spot on this roster.

Meech can't go anywhere (and at the moment, isn't signed - he's an RFA).

Brett Lebda is a great defenseman who loves to chip in offensively yet doesn't sacrafice any defensive responsibility in doing so -- the kind of defenseman we don't really have.

Andreas Lilja stepped up big time in the playoffs last year as well, and should be given a shot to play regular minutes this season and see what he's got. Compared to the contracts signed this summer by free agent defensemen, Lilja is a BARGAIN at one million and is possibly the only trade bait we'd have on the blueline.

I think you're asking the wrong question here. You should be asking, Lilja or Quincy?

Lebda and Quincy bring two different elements to the game. It's not so much a question of who is better, but what element does the team need right now. With the absence of Scneider, Lebda's role on the team has never been more increasingly important. Sure, we signed Rafalski....and i'm stoked about that, but rafalski is more of an all-around defenseman. He doesn't bring the pure speed that Lebda does. I mean, Lebda is an f'in rocket on skates. If i'm not mistaken, I think he has even taken a few shifts as a forward. He kind of reminds me of the speedy and versatile Dandenault back in the day.

Quincy offers about the same thing Lilja does. And seeing as how Lilja doesn't have a GUARANTEED spot, I think its his position to lose. I for one would like to see Quincy fight for that spot, maybe split some games before deciding who wins the spot in time for the playoffs. I know Lils was impressive for most parts of the playoffs, but his giveaways have never been so costly. If you forget, it was Lilja too who was responsible for the goal that the oilers scored that tied the eliminating game sending it to overtime that eventually lead to our demise. I forgive easily, but I don't forget. Lets just hope both develope vastly so it will be near impossible to tell who is better.

Edited by martyrme19

I think you're asking the wrong question here. You should be asking, Lilja or Quincy?

Lebda and Quincy bring two different elements to the game. It's not so much a question of who is better, but what element does the team need right now. With the absence of Scneider, Lebda's role on the team has never been more increasingly important. Sure, we signed Rafalski....and i'm stoked about that, but rafalski is more of an all-around defenseman. He doesn't bring the pure speed that Lebda does. I mean, Lebda is an f'in rocket on skates. If i'm not mistaken, I think he has even taken a few shifts as a forward. He kind of reminds me of the speedy and versatile Dandenault back in the day.

Quincy offers about the same thing Lilja does. And seeing as how Lilja doesn't have a GUARANTEED spot, I think its his position to lose. I for one would like to see Quincy fight for that spot, maybe split some games before deciding who wins the spot in time for the playoffs. I know Lils was impressive for most parts of the playoffs, but his giveaways have never been so costly. If you forget, it was Lilja too who was responsible for the goal that the oilers scored that tied the eliminating game sending it to overtime that eventually lead to our demise. I forgive easily, but I don't forget. Lets just hope both develope vastly so it will be near impossible to tell who is better.

I agree that Lilja and Quincey bring about the same thing to the table, but I think that Lilja played his way into a regular spot with his play last playoffs. It's his to play out of, which if he doesn't throw his body around like he did in the playoffs he may just do that.

The question of Lebda or Quincey is valid in that it basically asks "What do we need more of right now?" It's an speedy small guy with some offensive upside, or another bigger defensive defenseman that can try to contain the opposing team's forwards down low. If that's the question, then you almost have to answer with Quincey. While I like Lebda, we have a lot of offensive dmen on the roster and I think that the other three are better (If Kronwall can stay healthy and get a little PP time). Quincey brings a body that is sound defensively and battle for position better than Lebda.

Guest Crymson

I'd play Lebda without a doubt. He's got the best speed of almost any defenseman in the league--which makes him perfect for moving the puck into the opponent's zone and chasing down others--he's can generate offense, he's not afraid to hit, and he makes no notable mistakes on defense.

Quincey is good, but atm he's a stay-at-home defenseman. That type doesn't really fit into our system.

Right now, Lebda, however, I think with more experience, size and ice time Quincey will surpass Lebda.

Don't forget that Lebda is only two seasons into the NHL, and is young and still developing as a player just as Quincey is.