• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Matt

"We have no interest in him -- I mean zero"

Rate this topic

From Ansar Kahn's article this evening: http://www.mlive.com/redwings/stories/inde....xml&coll=1

Devellano said there's no validity to a report in Russia's Sport Express newspaper claiming the Wings are interested in free-agent center Alexei Yashin. He's a talented player, but his effort and desire have been questioned throughout his career.

"We have no interest in him -- I mean zero,'' Devellano said. "We would like a top-six winger, but there's nobody out there. We're going to hold the money. Who knows what might happen during the season. We're not going to sign guys we don't like. We'd like to have (defenseman) Danny Markov, but can't afford him. We're not going to panic.''

From Ansar Kahn's article this evening: http://www.mlive.com/redwings/stories/inde....xml&coll=1

Devellano said there's no validity to a report in Russia's Sport Express newspaper claiming the Wings are interested in free-agent center Alexei Yashin. He's a talented player, but his effort and desire have been questioned throughout his career.

"We have no interest in him -- I mean zero,'' Devellano said. "We would like a top-six winger, but there's nobody out there. We're going to hold the money. Who knows what might happen during the season. We're not going to sign guys we don't like. We'd like to have (defenseman) Danny Markov, but can't afford him. We're not going to panic.''

Thanks for the good news. You made my night. :clap:

Thank God. I can sleep at night knowing Yashin will not be coming here.

Only problem is that it sounds like signings are done. Since Markov is being greedy about this whole contract thing (IMO Markov is, no way in hell, a 4 million dollar player), why not sign Andy Sutton? He's asking for the exact same amount Markov made last season, and I personally think he's better.

Thank God. I can sleep at night knowing Yashin will not be coming here.

Only problem is that it sounds like signings are done. Since Markov is being greedy about this whole contract thing (IMO Markov is, no way in hell, a 4 million dollar player), why not sign Andy Sutton? He's asking for the exact same amount Markov made last season, and I personally think he's better.

And is 6'6 and drops the mits alot :ph34r:

Saaayyy what? I didn't know he was so big. Niiice.

Honestly, without someone copy-and-pasting a TSN.ca "scouting report", how do those guys compare to each other?

Sutton is bigger, more physical, isn't afraid to drop the gloves, just as good offensivly, and has a cheaper asking price than Markov. Overall he's a much better pickup.

Honestly, without someone copy-and-pasting a TSN.ca "scouting report", how do those guys compare to each other?

Sutton is the better defenceman. But Markovs got the better temper, piss him off and he'll start swinging.

Yeah, why would we want him? He didn't play for us a decade ago...

Our organization doesn't seem to understand that the reason there aren't any top 6 forwards for us is because no top six forward wants to play for a 1 year/$2.5 million contract. Because they can make more than that, since they're a top six forward.

-Tim

Yeah, why would we want him? He didn't play for us a decade ago...

Our organization doesn't seem to understand that the reason there aren't any top 6 forwards for us is because no top six forward wants to play for a 1 year/$2.5 million contract. Because they can make more than that, since they're a top six forward.

-Tim

See, that would be a good example and all, if Yashin wasn't the player involved.

I can't believe people still want this guy here. Like I said before: I believe that more than half of the people who want Yashin on the Wings are going more off of his point totals than the way he plays. If anyone who wants him here had actually ever seen him play, you wouldn't want him here.

Guest DetroitIan

Good to hear. Now we can stop the speculation. I just wonder who we ARE interested in. Besides re-signing Markov of course.

Sutton is bigger, stronger, a bit more offensive upside, pretty willing fighter, takes more dumb penalties, slower, dumber

Markov is a smarter player, wins more battles for loose pucks, not as strong, not as big, not as much offensive abilities, not very willing fighter, quicker player

See, that would be a good example and all, if Yashin wasn't the player involved.

I can't believe people still want this guy here. Like I said before: I believe that more than half of the people who want Yashin on the Wings are going more off of his point totals than the way he plays. If anyone who wants him here had actually ever seen him play, you wouldn't want him here.

The guy has been on teams with virtually no shot to win his entire career. You never know what putting him on a great team in a veteran-heavy locker room would do to a guy. If he doesn't try and still puts up .75-1 ppg, then imagine what he might be able to do with good linemates and with the proper motivation.

It'd be a risk for sure. But is it more of one then going into the season WITHOUT that top six forward that everyone pretty much agrees that we need, hoping that we can get one midseason or at the deadline? After all, we wouldn't have to give up anything more than money for Yashin. If it gets to the deadline, we're going to get bent over to get that top 6 forward, unless you can think of another Bertuzzi, who we could get cheap.

Unless they're thinking of trying to land Forsberg midseason, if/when he's ready to play again, they're going to have to give up a lot to get a top six forward out of another team. Look at what those guys were going for at the deadline....

Even signing Yashin, we'd still have more than enough room to pick up a player at the deadline, if we so desired. What's the point of carrying 6-8 million bucks into the season? You're not going to blow all that at the deadline, and if someone gets hurt, you get cap relief as it is. They might as well have just overpaid for someone like Comrie then, who was willing to take a one year deal. This ain't like the NFL where we can make that money work for us in the future.....

-Tim

It's not just the fact that Yashin is a big prick, but the fact that he has to wear a turtleneck to top off his prick attitude. Why not just throw the friggen sweater over your shoulders to finish off the image?

Well looks like I am gonna root for a different team, I mean we are not signing Yashin he was are only hope in wining the CUP this year. Way to go Ken. Another big center you let go. Honestly where is the grit, and toughness.

J/k

Go Wings