• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Matt

"We have no interest in him -- I mean zero"

Rate this topic

The guy has been on teams with virtually no shot to win his entire career. You never know what putting him on a great team in a veteran-heavy locker room would do to a guy. If he doesn't try and still puts up .75-1 ppg, then imagine what he might be able to do with good linemates and with the proper motivation.

Even signing Yashin, we'd still have more than enough room to pick up a player at the deadline, if we so desired.

It's true that being on a better team can make a guy pick itheir dragging butt off the ground. If he's half-assed his whole career though, that's still pretty damn poor work ethic, loser teams or not. I don't care if you haven't played on contending teams, for your own sake at least put out an effort.

I haven't followed Yashin much so... I'm taking it on people's word that he really is that much of a "has never given what's expected" kind of player. I haven't researched his media quotes lately either, but the sound of the tale doesn't look too good on top of that.

It's true that being on a better team can make a guy pick itheir dragging butt off the ground. If he's half-assed his whole career though, that's still pretty damn poor work ethic, loser teams or not. I don't care if you haven't played on contending teams, for your own sake at least put out an effort.

I haven't followed Yashin much so... I'm taking it on people's word that he really is that much of a "has never given what's expected" kind of player. I haven't researched his media quotes lately either, but the sound of the tale doesn't look too good on top of that.

I completely agree, don't get me wrong. Guys that slack drive me absolutely nuts. Especially for the coin the Islanders were giving him, he should've been busting his ass every night. But I really do think there's something to playing on a good team for the first time in your career (Vince Carter is an example off the top of my head...granted he's an NBA guy) and having a veteran core around you who won't let you get away with that crap.

I guess I just keep looking at it this way: If he could slack and still put up 50 points in 58 games on a decent--but certainly not great--team, what could he do playing with Datsyuk? (And he was +6 on a team whose +/-s in general were all over the board, so he must've been at least decent defensively as well).

To me, it's idiotic to have "zero" interest in the guy. If he wants a multi-year deal, then fine. Move on. If he wants an absurd amount of money, that's cool too. I still don't know what kind of top 6 forward you're going to find for 1 year and 3 million bucks, but so be it. He's an option worth exploring though....I mean hell, the guy put up similar numbers to Lang in 25 less games. How would he not be an upgrade? He can't have WORSE of a work ethic, right?

-Tim

Yeah, he fights a lot. Do you research this stuff?

His one fight this past season was against ... Olli Jokinen.

Thats alot for this team!! :lol:

Someone saying that Sutton is a better d-man than Markov is silly, Sutton is a slug, pylon, he has no mobility and in this league a d-man with no mobility better be pretty crafty in some other ways or they are useless, he doesn't fight, he has no offensive ability, he's big i'll give him that, he has no mean streak. Andy Sutton you are the weakest link..goodbye. On that note I will not defend Markov and his 4 million contract demand.. I like his game but not that much!!

Someone saying that Sutton is a better d-man than Markov is silly, Sutton is a slug, pylon, he has no mobility and in this league a d-man with no mobility better be pretty crafty in some other ways or they are useless, he doesn't fight, he has no offensive ability, he's big i'll give him that, he has no mean streak. Andy Sutton you are the weakest link..goodbye. On that note I will not defend Markov and his 4 million contract demand.. I like his game but not that much!!

Sutton is the only other option left as far as decent defenseman. The fact that he is also demanding less than Markov makes it a better deal.

Sigh... looking at the list for other possible defenseman is not very encouraging. For all you Sutton haters out there, here's what else is left.

Joe Dipenta

Ric Jackman

Jason York

David Tanabe

Patrice Brisebois

Ossi Vaananen

Aaron Johnson

Tomas Kloucek

Brian Berard

Jon Klemm

Daniel Tjarnqvist

Alexei Semenov

Jamie Heward

Mike Weaver

Jassen Cullimore

Janne Niinimaa

Dan McGillis

Rick Berry

Joel Bouchard

Deron Quint

Todd Simpson

Sandis Ozolinsh

Jamie Allison

John Slaney

Eric Cairns

Joel Kwiatkowski

Richard Lintner

Josef Melichar

Alain Nasreddine

Doug Janik

Marek Posmyk

Nolan Pratt

Luke Richardson

Brad Brown

Marc Moro

Karel Pilar

Prestin Ryan

Rory Fitzpatrick

Brent Sopel

Yannick Tremblay

Louis Robitaille

Bryan Muir

Now, before you say "Well that's a lot of names lolz!!!!!!1", keep in mind that a lot of these guys aren't very good. Some of them haven't played in the NHL for quite a while actually. I just basically looked at a free agent list, and whoever was an unsigned defenseman I mentioned up there.

Look at the list and decide for yourself. There are a few decent names: Ossi Vaananen, Bryan Berard, Aaron Johnson... and that's about it. A few of those guys I do like, Dan McGillis for example, but he's a dinosaur in the new NHL. He also hasn't played in the NHL since December of '05.

Decide for yourself who you like better then Sutton. There isn't much to choose from.

Andy Sutton has one of the worst mean streaks in the league... the guy is a total headhunter when he wants to be

He is much better then Markov. First off for his size , hes one of the faster big guys. Hes a good skater , he does fight , he is much better on offence and has a better shot then Markov. He was easily Atlantas best defenceman other then Exelby last season. Weakest Link? Not a chance. I'd give Sutton 2.5 instead of Markov at 4 anyday of the week and twice on sunday.

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

Sutton is a utter pylon...we have 4 defensemen who are probaly going to sit in GR this year who are better than him

Explain that one to me. He's much better then Lilja , Meech , Quincey. Lebda's bettter because of his speed , but I'd take Sutton. You say he's a pylon , not even close. He aint Derian Hatcher , he's a pretty mobile guy with good skating abilites.

He is much better then Markov. First off for his size , hes one of the faster big guys. Hes one of the best skaters in the game , he does fight , he is much better on offence and has a better shot then Markov. He was easily Atlantas best defenceman other then Exelby last season. Weakest Link? Not a chance. I'd give Sutton 2.5 instead of Markov at 4 anyday of the week and twice on sunday.

easy tiger... Sutton isn't FAST, he may have almost par top end speed but he has real bad mobility around the ice... which is expected from a big boy like him

easy tiger... Sutton isn't FAST, he may have almost par top end speed but he has real bad mobility around the ice... which is expected from a big boy like him

I fixed it :P He isnt one of the best , but he is a sound skater. If he wasent so big he'd be really fast , but I'll take a smooth skating 6'6 d-men anyday.

Sutton is a utter pylon...we have 4 defensemen who are probaly going to sit in GR this year who are better than him

Who? Derek Meech?

Quincey is the only one who is decent, and NHL ready, right now in GR. He won't get a roster spot anyways, even if Sutton isn't signed. Lilja occupies that spot.

And if you honestly think Lilja is better then Sutton, I have lost hope for some of you people. Lilja's "flash of brillance" in the playoffs was more of the "flash in the pan" variety.

Thank God. I can sleep at night knowing Yashin will not be coming here.

Only problem is that it sounds like signings are done. Since Markov is being greedy about this whole contract thing (IMO Markov is, no way in hell, a 4 million dollar player), why not sign Andy Sutton? He's asking for the exact same amount Markov made last season, and I personally think he's better.

Andy Sutton is asking for 2.5m? You're confused, he's asking for what Markov is wanting right now as in 4m/yr. Not sure if you worded it wrong or whatever, but I'll assume you did. If Markov is being greedy and Sutton is basically the same player, how is Sutton asking for 4m a better deal?

Sutton is the only other option left as far as decent defenseman. The fact that he is also demanding less than Markov makes it a better deal.

Sigh... looking at the list for other possible defenseman is not very encouraging. For all you Sutton haters out there, here's what else is left.

Joe Dipenta

Ric Jackman

Jason York

David Tanabe

Patrice Brisebois

Ossi Vaananen

Aaron Johnson

Tomas Kloucek

Brian Berard

Jon Klemm

Daniel Tjarnqvist

Alexei Semenov

Jamie Heward

Mike Weaver

Jassen Cullimore

Janne Niinimaa

Dan McGillis

Rick Berry

Joel Bouchard

Deron Quint

Todd Simpson

Sandis Ozolinsh

Jamie Allison

John Slaney

Eric Cairns

Joel Kwiatkowski

Richard Lintner

Josef Melichar

Alain Nasreddine

Doug Janik

Marek Posmyk

Nolan Pratt

Luke Richardson

Brad Brown

Marc Moro

Karel Pilar

Prestin Ryan

Rory Fitzpatrick

Brent Sopel

Yannick Tremblay

Louis Robitaille

Bryan Muir

Now, before you say "Well that's a lot of names lolz!!!!!!1", keep in mind that a lot of these guys aren't very good. Some of them haven't played in the NHL for quite a while actually. I just basically looked at a free agent list, and whoever was an unsigned defenseman I mentioned up there.

Look at the list and decide for yourself. There are a few decent names: Ossi Vaananen, Bryan Berard, Aaron Johnson... and that's about it. A few of those guys I do like, Dan McGillis for example, but he's a dinosaur in the new NHL. He also hasn't played in the NHL since December of '05.

Decide for yourself who you like better then Sutton. There isn't much to choose from.

Rory Fitzpatrick is available?? Dude, let's get Rory! He was almost an allstar, right?!? He's gotta be good ...

:hehe:

Seriously, I don't think we need another D guy, the D looks pretty good right now. A top-6 scoring forward would be nice, but we have enough forward depth to go into the season, and then let's see what we can get at the deadline ...

What's funny is that a great deal of members were all for bringing in Yashin, and as soon as Jimmy D crushed the idea, none of the Yashin supporters have come in this thread to complain about it.

Seen the light?

Edit: Grammar

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Our organization doesn't seem to understand that the reason there aren't any top 6 forwards for us is because no top six forward wants to play for a 1 year/$2.5 million contract. Because they can make more than that, since they're a top six forward.

Nicely put.

Holland needs to do both - lock up your star, franchise players and also look to improve each year. Other GM's seem to be doing both. I guess we're all fools. :blink:

He keeps saying no major signing can be made based on resigning on guy - Hank. He's made zero impact to this roster so far, and only complained and bemoaned what other players are asking for and receiving. This isn't a call to overpay anyone, but this roster sure doesn't look as sound as he is leading everyone to believe. Youth is great, and yes we gotta see what Flip, Rex and the others can do, but he better be right, because wheeling and dealing during the season or leading up to the deadline is not Holland's style.

Your are right it is not his style, seeing as he has passed on such players like Schneider, Woolley, Robataille, and others during the season. Oh wait never mind he pick them up just before the deadline to help make a cup run.

motorcitykid please stop spouting off at the mouth without first knowing what you are talking about.

Nicely put.

Holland needs to do both - lock up your star, franchise players and also look to improve each year. Other GM's seem to be doing both. I guess we're all fools. :blink:

He keeps saying no major signing can be made based on resigning on guy - Hank. He's made zero impact to this roster so far, and only complained and bemoaned what other players are asking for and receiving. This isn't a call to overpay anyone, but this roster sure doesn't look as sound as he is leading everyone to believe. Youth is great, and yes we gotta see what Flip, Rex and the others can do, but he better be right, because wheeling and dealing during the season or leading up to the deadline is not Holland's style.

Which team in the Western Conference is better this year that will have any significant impact on how the Wings do this year? Colorado? They didn't make the playoffs last year and Ryan Smyth/Scott Hannan aren't going to put them over the top. St. Louis? Nashville gets worse, St. Louis gets better, call it a wash. Anaheim? Worse. SJ? Worse defensively. LA? Dan Cloutier. Vancouver, Calgary, Minnesota? Added no impact players.

So far I count 1, possibly 2 teams who got impact players, but in reality neither will do anything to hurt the Wings chances.

Edited by Heaton

Nicely put.

There is no player that Holland could have signed this offseason that would have been a top six forward on this team, and wouldn't have cost far more than they should. The only forwards who have signed this offseason who would have even had a chance at making the top six, AND cost less than 4m were Dainus Zubrus and Ladislav Nagy. I would rather see what Hudler and Filppula can do given that ice time than sign one of those guys with a chance but no guarantee that it would be better.

The only players lost this offseason who were a factor in the playoffs were Schneider and Markov. Holland replaced both of those guys in one signing with the better player in Rafalski. Bertuzzi and Lang were nonfactors in the playoffs, so cutting them loose doesn't hurt us from that standpoint.

Thank god... Now I betcha he signs here within the week!

He is just trying to drive down his price by saying he is not interested :)

Clever... very clever

I completely agree, don't get me wrong. Guys that slack drive me absolutely nuts. Especially for the coin the Islanders were giving him, he should've been busting his ass every night. But I really do think there's something to playing on a good team for the first time in your career (Vince Carter is an example off the top of my head...granted he's an NBA guy) and having a veteran core around you who won't let you get away with that crap.

I guess I just keep looking at it this way: If he could slack and still put up 50 points in 58 games on a decent--but certainly not great--team, what could he do playing with Datsyuk? (And he was +6 on a team whose +/-s in general were all over the board, so he must've been at least decent defensively as well).

To me, it's idiotic to have "zero" interest in the guy. If he wants a multi-year deal, then fine. Move on. If he wants an absurd amount of money, that's cool too. I still don't know what kind of top 6 forward you're going to find for 1 year and 3 million bucks, but so be it. He's an option worth exploring though....I mean hell, the guy put up similar numbers to Lang in 25 less games. How would he not be an upgrade? He can't have WORSE of a work ethic, right?

-Tim

I couldn't agree more! :clap: Why not Yashin, he is a risk, but so was Hasek, Chelios, and Bertuzzi. Give him a chance to play on a Cup-contender, and let's see what he does. If he is lazy and doesn't produce, then I will eat crow!

Edited by tipetz22