• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jagr68

Vote for Sid!

Rate this topic

Most probably saw or heard about that thing they are doing on ESPN about Who's Now. Basically they chose 32 athletes in about every sport to compete against each other in a panel vote and fan voting. (They actually do not compete in any sport against each other, it's just voting).

They look at what they did on field (or ice) in their sport, records, or other noteable things the athlete has done in their career. They also look at popularity of them, endoresement deals and stuff like that.

Crosby is the only NHL player in it. He is competing against Derek Jeter. I really have my doubts that Sid has much of a chance. If this was in Canada, he'd most likely easily win. Whether or not you like Sid or not, would be nice for the sport to get him a lot of votes to show ESPN that a lot of people in America really do love hockey.

Here's the link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...mp;lid=tab1pos3

Then just click 'Launch Who's Now'

So far, here are some of the results...

Dwyane Wade def. Shaun White (no surprise there)

LaDainian Tomlinson def. David Beckham (only in America)

Lebron James def. Kelly Slater

Jeff Gordon def. Barry Bonds

Kobe Bryant def. Ronaldinho

Alex Rodriguez def. Terrell Owens (that probably could have went either way)

Dale Earnhardt Jr. def. Chuck Liddell (I wanted Liddell...)

Steve Nash def. Serena Williams

Tiger Woods def. Matt Leinart

So it is pretty interesting. Mostly it comes down to a popularity contest. They determine the winner by combining 70% fan voting and 30% of their selected panel. I think the panel is all retired NBA and NFL guys too, but I could be wrong.

The winners then advance to the next round. I think Tiger will end up winning it all. Probably should have posted this the other day, because the winner is announced tonight on Sportscenter, 6pm edition I believe.

Unfortunately, Sid doesn't have a chance.

His best bet would've been going up against a European Soccer player, since the majority of voters are from America. Similar to this comment by the thread starter:

"LaDainian Tomlinson def. David Beckham (only in America)"

Considering 30% of the vote goes towards Jeter automatically, if I did my math right, he would need about 71% of the fan votes to win the matchup..... I hope Sid somehow upsets Jeter, due to all the hockey fans jumping onboard to support this....if not, it will certainly be closer than what people expect...

Right, exactly.

When I posted it, I didn't think Sid would win. And I don't think any of us will make much of a difference.

Just hope that Sid doesn't get blown out. I think it would be great that if somebody like Jeter wins in a close one, maybe ESPN will consider picking up the NHL again when Versus contract is over. That would be the at best situation I guess. To surprise people, that the NHL isn't as unpopular as they think....

A lot of people still do not have Versus, so their ratings will never match what ESPN had years ago. I have Dishnetwork and you have to get the most expensive package just to get Versus. It sucks, I would be satisfied with the $29.99/month package. But to get Versus you have to pay $52.99/month. So when hockey starts I'll have to upgrade. Being such a huge Pens fan, I am still going to get Center Ice but you'd expect the Pens to be on Versus probably once or twice a month. I guess when the Pens were on, Versus had their highest ratings (or so I heard). Now that I have a high def TV (finally) I can't wait for hockey to start and watch the NHL in high def!

Well, anyway, hopefully Sid surprises people and doesn't get blown out to bad! I think Tiger won like 90%/10% or something crazy like that, hopefully it's not that bad for Sid!

Some of the stuff said in the video pisses me off. Not cus their full of crap, but because thats really how people feel. I really hope the immaturity of all these football players and basketball players wake some people up. Hockey players are some of the most mature, intelligent and gifted athletes around. Their sport requires them to be so. And hey, Keyshawn may think that no kid says they want to be a hockey player, where hes from ya....i'm pretty sure no black kid wants to be a hockey player. But sooner or later people are gonna get sick of this "hip-hop thug" mentality and pay attention to a gentlemans sport.

While it probably wouldn't hurt OR help, as far as representing our sport, such internet polls (especially those unprotected against robot voting) have very little outcome on the final result-- said results were written two months ago to fit the magazine's lead time. It's merely a PR device to draw mega-hits to the site.

What they (by "they" I mean the Web Masters of Their Domain) hope for, in cases like this, is that fan clubs, forum posters, and general public that may drop by will be moved to vote, and in doing so, will view a few more ads. Every hit equals a bit more advertising pennies.

No, I'm not a conspiracy theorist.

But this truly is the reason for these internet polls you see happen on ESPN, People, CNN, et al--- do you think the Webmasters of Deception actually CARE about unscientific 'net polls?

Sorry to be a spoilsport, but participating in them is a pure waste of time, and gives a corporate buck to someone whom you may likely have not paid any attention to when voting. This becomes a concern, especially if you're a person who holds opinions about green, religion, issues.... an Al Qaeda recruitment poster could be on the page and most people would normally let it go unnoticed. But the revenue, for one's merely hitting that page, would still go to Al Qaeda.

Unlike the guy here (sorry, don't recall your name, DO recall you kinda aggravated me) who refused to watch the SCF's because he didn't want to lend any credence to advertisers putting on such a lame game, in his opinion):

"They" cannot as yet track our telly preferences unless one has a Neilson box atop the box, but these polls are designed to attract us to a couple pages of ads, AND they can cookie the unsuapecting, and that's what these polls are primarily designed to do. Heck, that's the nearly the ONLY reason for 'em.

EDITED for MARTYRME19: Never, EVER, AGAIN refer to Hockey as a "gentleman's sport" or I'll have to sic Pronger on yez. Our sport may be (off-ice) full of admirable athletes, but on ice, I don't wanna see no gentlemens, hear me? (just takin' the piss, I DO fully get yer meaning, and agree with (most of) my heart)

Edited by RedRockit

Guest jaytan

Yeah, I voted for him, but didn't waste any additional time on the site. ESPN is a joke.

How could LT not win that you haven't been able to turn on the TV without hearing what LT was up too. Add breaking records to it too and Beckham did have a chance. Most people couldn't even tell you who he plays for or that he even came to America to play.

Guest DetroitIan

I voted for Sid. But I doubt he's gonna get more votes than Jeter. Unfortunately.

How could LT not win that you haven't been able to turn on the TV without hearing what LT was up too. Add breaking records to it too and Beckham did have a chance. Most people couldn't even tell you who he plays for or that he even came to America to play.

...and yet, I cannot tell you who LT is, let alone who or what league he plays for. I would have to guess NBA, but I am in the dark. I HATE soccer with a passion, but would vote Beckham just because I don't know or could care less who the other guy is...

EDITED for MARTYRME19: Never, EVER, AGAIN refer to Hockey as a "gentleman's sport" or I'll have to sic Pronger on yez. Our sport may be (off-ice) full of admirable athletes, but on ice, I don't wanna see no gentlemens, hear me? (just takin' the piss, I DO fully get yer meaning, and agree with (most of) my heart)

hey now, don't let a couple isolated instances spoil the name. Trust me, this is coming from a guy who plays Michigan State Rugby as well, where Rugby is coined as THE gentlemans game. Now, in rugby i've never seen more dirty plays go on in my life....yet we all still consider it a gentlemans game. Why? because for over an hour we let our emotions run wild to achieve our ultimate goal, but when its all said and done, we shake each others hands and have a beer with the guy whos skull we just stomped on.

hello first time poster long time reader

I voted for him its likely he has no chance but as said before any hockey player has no chance unless they face some soccer player it sucks too even though not much in baseball but in football and basketball the two big sports on ESPN theres players in jail or accused of shooting and holding out cause they want more money and even if an NHL player is unhappy with his contract i cant think of a situation when they wouldnt play and act like little crybaby like some NFL players

i know its long and a lot of its been said but ive wanted to say this for awhile

I'll disagree. Tomlinson shattered records in rushing last season. David Beckham probably isn't even a top 5 soccer player anymore, he is just most well known because of his looks and the fact that he's banging Posh Spice.

hey now, don't let a couple isolated instances spoil the name. Trust me, this is coming from a guy who plays Michigan State Rugby as well, where Rugby is coined as THE gentlemans game. Now, in rugby i've never seen more dirty plays go on in my life....yet we all still consider it a gentlemans game. Why? because for over an hour we let our emotions run wild to achieve our ultimate goal, but when its all said and done, we shake each others hands and have a beer with the guy whos skull we just stomped on.

I wish you had talked to Cheli.

On the whole, pretty fly for a white guy. Very cool.

(ohhhhnoooo, am I generalizing again?)

I'd LOVE to see rugby played at any level: Where are the leagues in NWO? I think SJJ in Toledo fields a team, but dassit.

Edited by RedRockit

David Beckham probably isn't even a top 5 soccer player anymore, he is just most well known because of his looks and the fact that he's banging Posh Spice.

...and the ridiculous amount of money he got from that LA soccer team.

Sid doesn't have a chance. I still voted for him though.

Edited by Kp-Wings

Guest jaytan

...and yet, I cannot tell you who LT is, let alone who or what league he plays for. I would have to guess NBA, but I am in the dark. I HATE soccer with a passion, but would vote Beckham just because I don't know or could care less who the other guy is...

How do you manage to live in the US and follow sports without having heard about Tomlinson? You don't have to watch football to be bombarded with football news and images of the NFL's top athletes year-round.

I wish you had talked to Cheli.

On the whole, pretty fly for a white guy. Very cool.

(ohhhhnoooo, am I generalizing again?)

I'd LOVE to see rugby played at any level: Where are the leagues in NWO? I think SJJ in Toledo fields a team, but dassit.

Chelios apologized for not shaking hands, and gave a legit reason as to why he didnt. It wasn't out of disrespect, just that he was too emotional. He said he'd go back and shake their hands no problem.

And i might be able to give you some information about leagues in your area, but i dont know what the NWO is.

Man, I came in here all excited about voiting for Sid Abel for something.

Ugh...like Crosby needs more sunshine-up-his-ass. Then again, I went to high school with Jeter and I loathe him as well...

Chelios apologized for not shaking hands, and gave a legit reason as to why he didnt. It wasn't out of disrespect, just that he was too emotional. He said he'd go back and shake their hands no problem.

And i might be able to give you some information about leagues in your area, but i dont know what the NWO is.

Cheli certailnly did NOT have a legit reason for not shaking hands-- I defended him at first because he shook the opposing cioaches' hands- I thought there must surely be a darn good reason why he skipped the players' trad.

"I was too emotional" is NOT a legit excuse.

Every little that plays hockey and may take him for a role model can now use THAT as a model? Whatever. Cheli has now apoogized, kinda, and has expressed his regret (kinda sorta). Bottom line is that he thought that he was beyond the rules of normal hockey ettiquette, and he held our team up to censure because of it.

And this was THE year I finally warmed up to Cheli (I'm a far longer Wingnut than he has been a Wing). and he pulls THAT?

Ehh, well, I'm always complaining about athletical correctness, tired of athletes' quotes as though they're a bunch of careful Michelle Kwans... there's a deal of hypocrisy in what I think about athletes' reaction to media!

NWO is NorthWest Ohio.

And this only because the 3 "experts" all voted for Jeter. Sid won with the fans.

I know. I have nothing against Jeter. I think he's an amazing ball player. But this was for "Who's Now". What has Jeter done in the past 2 seasons?

Crosby's only been the youngest player to ever win the Art and Hart trophies and singlehandedly save the Pens from moving to Puerto Rico.