• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Majsheppard

A NHL European League showdown in the works

Rate this topic

Victoria Cup in the works.

With the Games in London and the money situation in Europe becoming more supportive of international professional Hockey there is a possible deal in the works to send the top team in Europe(as to be decided via a 60 game tournament format.) to Montreal to play the top NHL team in a yearly serries for the Victoria Cup.

Thoughts?

Guest jaytan

It would be great if they had an international super league for all of Europe. Perhaps they could pay high enough salaries to attract some European NHL players back home, and to keep some homegrown talent from trying to join the NHL.

Then we'd have a more purely North American league in the NHL, and a NHL-European League series would be more competitive and interesting.

It would be great if they had an international super league for all of Europe. Perhaps they could pay high enough salaries to attract some European NHL players back home, and to keep some homegrown talent from trying to join the NHL.

Then we'd have a more purely North American league in the NHL, and a NHL-European League series would be more competitive and interesting.

Which would dull down both leagues essentially. For those people think the NHL has too much talent spread out over too many teams, your idea cut the on ice quality of play in half again.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

They would definately give it a chance on Vs. and NBC.

I mean if ESPN is going to show some English soccer player, then they prob would think about showing a first of it's kind game in the NHL vs Europe.

I just wonder what happens when the Wings end up playing their own prospects when we come up against a Sweedish powerhouse team.

I don't want the winner of a 60 game tournament in europe to play THE best NHL team (Red Wings)!!!

I want the Wings to be apart of an international tournament of the best hockey clubs in the world. I'm thinking the UEFA Champions League of hockey .... no one has probably ever heard of it

"the most prestigious club trophy in the sport"

Edited by WingNut199

I don't want the winner of a 60 game tournament in europe to play THE best NHL team (Red Wings)!!!

I want the Wings to be apart of an international tournament of the best hockey clubs in the world. I'm thinking the UEFA Champions League of hockey .... no one has probably ever heard of it

What makes you say that? I knoow how the UEFA Champion League works, and I would bet there's plenty of other members here that do as well.

What makes you say that? I knoow how the UEFA Champion League works, and I would bet there's plenty of other members here that do as well.

I was being a bit sarcastic because I know the average American doesn't know a hoot about football (soccer). But I have seen some supporters on the boards (celticwingfan)

I'm not such a big fan of the idea. Right now the NHL is the world's premiere league. When you have the NHL competing to be the world's best league, then we might not be getting the best talent anymore. Cause it would be just as easy to win it all staying in Europe.

I was being a bit sarcastic because I know the average American doesn't know a hoot about football (soccer). But I have seen some supporters on the boards (celticwingfan)

To be honest, I'm not even really a soccer fan, but I understand how the UCL works.

I like the idea.

But I'd rather have the Calder Cup champion face off against the Euro champ for the Victoria Cup.

I wonder if someday the Stanley Cup champ will face the CHL champ. The only problem with that is the NHL has a far more grueling schedule than the European teams and the road to the Cup is a lot harder as well. Plus, I'm sure owners like Illitch would love to see Nick Lidstrom or Zetterberg risk a career ending injury for a worthless series.

But if the NHL owners were guarenteed lots of $$$ anything is possible.

Guest jaytan

As far as the ice, I'd make it a 2-game series or something (if it were to happen) and play one on an NHL-sized sheet and the other on International ice, and if the series splits, I'd settle it with a shootout or OT period.

Anyway, I wouldn't necessarily expect NHL teams to try very hard in a tournament like this. For one, are the players going to be paid? And for two, how pissed would you be if one of your star players sufferedan 8-month injury playing in some silly exhibition game against a team from Finland?

Edited by jaytan

it they're truly serious about making this competitive, then it will take time.

sure, at first the NHL teams would mop up with them, and it would probably feel more like an exhibition. But as more guys stay in europe, and the playing field between europe and NA levels out, the Victoria cup would become the be all, end all of hockey. That would be good for the NHL as a whole, because even though the talent level would drop off without as many euro's here, interest among casual fans would go way up for a truly world championship series.

One thing that would greatly help this whole thing is if the European teams all got together in one big league over there.

so yeah, it'll be silly at first. But if it's run the right way and given enough time, it could end up being really cool.

Like the concept, dislike the details so far. Except for the fact that the NHL team skips the big tourney. Until they drop some games from the schedule jumping the pond for a CHL game would suck more than West coast swings.

Some things I don't like about it are:

1) Rules unless they play using both NHL and international rules (think world series on steroids style) it's going to hamper teams that have to adapt.

2) NHL schedule wise September is really the only time to do it, but that's after free agency and while teams are still getting into a rhythm.

3) Season ending injury

4) It'll increase casual interest in the US about as much as the World Cup does in between tournaments IMO.

Good for Europe to get a Champions League, gimmicked up though by including the NHL