• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Echolalia

Markov talks continue

Rate this topic

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/rumors/post/Re...F?urn=nhl,39024

I'm suprised that Holland is even keeping him in mind still. We have enough defensmen, and were arguably one of the best (if not the single greatest) defensive team for the upcoming season as it. We're tight on cash, and we could still use another forward.

I say better luck somewhere else, big guy

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/rumors/post/Re...F?urn=nhl,39024

I'm suprised that Holland is even keeping him in mind still. We have enough defensmen, and were arguably one of the best (if not the single greatest) defensive team for the upcoming season as it. We're tight on cash, and we could still use another forward.

I say better luck somewhere else, big guy

Yeah, we averaged what? 20 shots allowed last season, something like that? And the second place I think was 24 or something am I right?

I say forget him, I didn't even see him as a huge physical presence personally.

I don't understand you two. You talk about how great our Defense was last year, but wasn't Markov a major part of that? Don't you think there's a really good chance the D will suffer if Lilja or Kronwall are forced on the top line with Lidstrom?

I think this is GREAT! Danny should be re-signed. If you all think our D is great as it is..then adding him would be fantastic. He was a big part of the Wings success in the season, and why they got to the WCF. Get it done, Kenny!

Oh..and let's not foget it adds some needed toughness.

I really think it would be cool if we keep Danny and just routate our depth, Meech, Ericson, Kindl, Quincy, and Lilja all going back and forth all though I know Meech can't go back down, but something along those lines to really help our youth prosper

I want Markov because hes a crazy SOB. 2.5 million-3 million and I'd sign him

Im pretty sure if the price tag was 2.5-3, hed be signed right now.

I find it funny that no one else has signed him though. San Jose, NYI, Buffalo, and NYR were all taking a look at one more defenseman, and the only two guys of worth left are Sutton and Markov.

IMO, as much as I liked his play last year in the playoffs, itd be to our benefit to sign Markov and trade Lilja. Maybe to Chicago (they like our leftovers anyways) whos in the market for cheap veteran depth.

Lidstrom-Markov

Rafalski-Kronwall

Lebda-Chelios

Quincey-Meech

Thats just sick.

I don't understand you two. You talk about how great our Defense was last year, but wasn't Markov a major part of that? Don't you think there's a really good chance the D will suffer if Lilja or Kronwall are forced on the top line with Lidstrom?

I didn't say anything about our defense last year. I was predicting how good our current lineup is.

Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, Chelios, Lebda, Lilja and the plethora of promising young defensmen including Quincy, Meech, Kindl, etc. look pretty intimidating to me. I think Kronwall is a better defensman than Markov anyway, and if Lilja plays like he did in the playoffs last year, even he could be a good second option.

Markov was a decent defensman, but hes replaceable. The only real upside to having him on the wings is his grittiness.

Could someone refresh my memory? I think I recall that Markov shoots left, but I'm not sure on that.

I recall the "L" boys (Lebda, Lilja, Lidstrom, Kronwall- 2 l's on the end) are all lefties, and Cheli and Quincey shoot right. I remember reading that Rafalski also shoots right.

Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks.

As long as we're on the topic, to what extent do you think it helps to have a natural leftie and rightie paired? Enough to say that if Markov is a leftie that we pass, and aim for more righties? Or is it kind of a nice thing to have them paired, but not that big of a deal?

Personally, I never was as big of a Markov fan as many, but I sure wouldn't send him packing if we can get him for a deal.

Markov was a decent defensman, but hes replaceable. The only real upside to having him on the wings is his grittiness.

Replaceable? If he signs elsewhere, who exactly is left on the free agent market who is a suitable replacement?

Really glad to hear this and hope he re-ups for a few years...

Replaceable? If he signs elsewhere, who exactly is left on the free agent market who is a suitable replacement?

I think Kronwall is a better defensman than Markov anyway, and if Lilja plays like he did in the playoffs last year, even he could be a good second option.

I don't think we need to look for another free agent. Bring up one of the many names that I listed above. Quincy has already proven he can handle it in the nhl. We already have enough defensmen, and they're good ones at that. Instead I think we should spend our extra money on a forward.

I don't think we need to look for another free agent. Bring up one of the many names that I listed above. Quincy has already proven he can handle it in the nhl. We already have enough defensmen, and they're good ones at that. Instead I think we should spend our extra money on a forward.

i totally agree. Quincy was really good to me. i say go after a forward.

Remember people defence wins championships, you think the Rags are gonna win the cup because they have all the big name forwards NO. I would much rather have Markov on the D then add some big named forward, dont get me wron we need the scoring but that wasnt our problem in the playoffs. The more Depth at D the better chance we have if some one goes down.

GO WINGS

I didn't say anything about our defense last year. I was predicting how good our current lineup is.

Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, Chelios, Lebda, Lilja and the plethora of promising young defensmen including Quincy, Meech, Kindl, etc. look pretty intimidating to me. I think Kronwall is a better defensman than Markov anyway, and if Lilja plays like he did in the playoffs last year, even he could be a good second option.

Who takes Markov's spot against the other teams top line with Lidstrom? Please tell me you're not advocating Kronwall. I'm certainly not comfortable that based on last years play, not to mention his injury history. Kronwall is not a better defenseman than Markov right now. He might be in the future, but not now.

At some point, Chelios is going to begin to show his age. It might not be this year, but you never know. Lilja had somewhat of a resurrection in the playoffs last year, but you'll notice his play dropped considerably after Scheider's injury. I definitely wouldn't count on him.

Quincey, Meech, and Lebda are not top prospects. Realistically, they're 6th or 7th career d-men. Kindl has more upside, but he's playing in Grand Rapids next year.

While, Kronwall is replacable, I don't think it's by anyone in our current lineup. At least, not if you want to advance in the playoffs.

Edited by Airborn

Here's everybody saying Kronwall's all awesome again, but toward the end of last season didn't he make a bunch of defensive gaffs and positioning blunders and everyone here was on his ass about it? Where are those people now?

Kronwall has better speed and offensive ability but I think Markov is rougher, tougher and plays better defensively.

peace,

esteef

Who takes Markov's spot against the other teams top lines with Lidstrom? Please tell me you're not advocating Kronwall. I certainly am not comfortable with him in that spot based on last years play, not to mention his injury history. I

Also, there is no way Kronwall is a better defenseman than Markov right now. He might be in the future, but not now.

:clap::clap:

Who takes Markov's spot against the other teams top lines with Lidstrom? Please tell me you're not advocating Kronwall. I certainly am not comfortable with him in that spot based on last years play, not to mention his injury history. I

Also, there is no way Kronwall is a better defenseman than Markov right now. He might be in the future, but not now.

At some point, Chelios is going to begin to show his age. It might not be this year, but you never know.

Quincey, Meech, and Lebda are not top prospects. Realistically, they're 6th or 7th career d-men. Kindl has more upside, but he's playing in Grand Rapids next year.

While, Kronwall is replacable, I don't think it's by anyone in our current lineup. At least, not if you want to advance in the playoffs.

Youre right. Lebda isnt a top prospect. Hes a decent #5 player. Hes not the smartest of Dmen, but hes only 25 with one season under his belt and his speed makes up for the majority of his mistakes. Id take Lebda easily as a #5 right now, and hes still young. Hell probably plateau as a #4, which is always nice to have. As for Quincey, the guy keeps in improving, so theres no telling where he might fall.

As for whos going to pair with Lidstrom, are we so quick to forget? Lilja will likely see most of his Even Strength shifts with Lidstrom. And if he plays like he did in the playoffs - physicality and all - it might not be that bad of an idea.

Here's everybody saying Kronwall's all awesome again, but toward the end of last season didn't he make a bunch of defensive gaffs and positioning blunders and everyone here was on his ass about it? Where are those people now?

Kronwall has better speed and offensive ability but I think Markov is rougher, tougher and plays better defensively.

peace,

esteef

:clap::clap:

You mean when he had a cage covering up half of his face? The #1 reason players dont like visors is because they have trouble seeing the puck. Now imagine what its like to have a cage.

You mean when he had a cage covering up half of his face? The #1 reason players dont like visors is because they have trouble seeing the puck. Now imagine what its like to have a cage.

No I don't. All year long I wasn't sold on this guy being hyped as the next Lidstrom. He's got a nice hit, but at what price? He's hurt all the damn time, doesn't really come through on the PP like everyone said he would (I remember for a while there he was noticeably not shooting on the PP and when he did it was weak), and he does make defensive mistakes (that end up being scoring chances for the opposition which is why I remember them so well),

with or without his mask.

But I agree, wearing the mask sucks.

esteef

Edited by esteef

Wait, you want to just not replace him? If the team we had from last year had one MORE top 4, legit NHL defenseman (and not one less!) they are probably champions. You can never have too many. I love Kronwall but he plays a different game from Danny and we need both, not to choose between them.

I don't get how any of you can say that our defense for next year looks good. Compared to last season, we actually lost size with Markov gone. Maybe you didn't notice how we completely got manhandled by the Ducks and (especially) the Sharks, with their big forwards being able to keep the puck in our zone for more than a minute at a time.

Our defense is TALENTED, probably more talented than anyone else's, and we do have great depth. But with Lilja being the only guy who can play a physical style (without getting hit in the face with a skate), we completely lack toughness and grit on defense. Lidstrom's ability to shoot from the point and Lebda's end-to-end rushes won't help us get the puck away from Joe Thornton in the playoffs next year. We don't have to sign Markov, but we NEED someone who plays a similar style.