• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Echolalia

Markov talks continue

Rate this topic

I really think our money is better spent somewhere else. We lost 2 D and replaced one of them (IMO an improvement to be honest). We also lost 3 forwards, but replaced only one of them (however I'm not optimistic about that replacement). Now right off the bat we see that we have a little amount of money to replace 1 defenseman and two forwards. I don't think our defense was bad at all last year. I do however think we could become more powerful offensively, especially when thinking back to all those 5 on 3s we failed to capitalize on in the playoffs.

Our defense right now IS amazing. We have Lidstrom. The GREATEST defensman playing right now, and arguably one of the best to play ever. Kronwall is getting better by the day and isn't afraid of dishing the body out (he just needs to show restraint for his own benefit). Chelios is a veteran with the hockey knowledge and leadership of a 400 year old, but he plays like hes 30. Lilja had an amazing postseason, shutting up just about every critic on this board, as well as Quincy, who did greater than everyone expected him to. Lebda is good enough to rely on, and with Rafalski replacing Schneider, I feel in that respect we've gotten better than last year defensively. And to top it all off, we have Dominik Hasek between the pipes who has proven that age hasn't slowed him down a bit.

Spend the money on a forward. We need a build-up there. Either a power forward or a sniper. They would both benefit the wings more than another defensman would. Even Markov.

Sopel sucks, and so does Sutton, neither can play a legit top four role like Markov can.

Come on guys, enough blustering and negotiating, meet in the middle like always and ink Danny for a couple years at least.

If only Markov wasn't being so stubborn about it...

You mention balance YG, but someone like Sopel would make Detroit's defense awfully unbalanced in my opinion.

I dont think Sopel would make it awfully unbalanced. A little, yes, but its a preemptive strike against the looming injuries of Kronwall. Sopel wouldnt be playing on offensive role on the WIngs either, and he is a pretty gritty guy with good puck possession skills. He would fit very well into the system. I wouldnt call him an offensive defenseman, but I wouldnt call him an offensive Dman either. I like that he falls a little in between so that we have our asses covered should we be down and out 2 good offensive Dmen when we need them most.

If you find constant, brutal giveaways offensive, then Sopel is very much an offensive defensemen. Pass.

I hope we re-sign Danny. We need his type of player. Is the sticking point amount or length of contract or both?