Photo
- - - - -

Management practically admits offseason mistakes?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 WingedWheels

WingedWheels

Top Prospect

• Bronze Booster
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:08 PM

mlive.com:

Devellano said there's no validity to a report in Russia's Sport Express newspaper claiming the Wings are interested in free-agent center Alexei Yashin. He's a talented player, but his effort and desire have been questioned throughout his career.

"We have no interest in him -- I mean zero,'' Devellano said. "We would like a top-six winger, but there's nobody out there. We're going to hold the money. Who knows what might happen during the season. We're not going to sign guys we don't like. We'd like to have (defenseman) Danny Markov, but can't afford him. We're not going to panic.''

The Wings have between $4 million and $6 million in salary cap space, depending on whether they apply goaltender Dominik Hasek's performance bonuses (up to $2 million) to this season's salary cap or the following season's.

-- making statements like "we're not going to panic" and "we'd like a top 6 player but there's nobody out there" after all that was available this offseason makes me feel like this is a nice way to say "whoops!'

anyone else agree?

#2 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:11 PM

Umm, what?

Jimmy isn't admitting a mistake. This offseason is/was a double-edged sword. All the decent top 6 forwards wanted the New York State Bank as a base salary, and then some (if anyone is too dense to catch the analogy I'm making, it means their overpaid). Anybody who would actually come for a cheap contract either sucks or has injury problems. It was screwed up either way.

No mistake made. While I definitly wanted Ryan Smyth on the Wings, it just wasn't practical to sign him. Damn salary cap.

#3 WingedWheels

WingedWheels

Top Prospect

• Bronze Booster
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:19 PM

I support Kenny 110%, but I feel he waited a little too longer to address the forward situation.

Do I want his head? - no

Am I concerned about this season? - yes

#4 Agalloch

Agalloch

1st Line Sniper

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE(WingedWheels @ July 13, 2007 - 08:08PM) View Post

mlive.com:

Devellano said there's no validity to a report in Russia's Sport Express newspaper claiming the Wings are interested in free-agent center Alexei Yashin. He's a talented player, but his effort and desire have been questioned throughout his career.

"We have no interest in him -- I mean zero,'' Devellano said. "We would like a top-six winger, but there's nobody out there. We're going to hold the money. Who knows what might happen during the season. We're not going to sign guys we don't like. We'd like to have (defenseman) Danny Markov, but can't afford him. We're not going to panic.''

The Wings have between $4 million and $6 million in salary cap space, depending on whether they apply goaltender Dominik Hasek's performance bonuses (up to $2 million) to this season's salary cap or the following season's.

-- making statements like "we're not going to panic" and "we'd like a top 6 player but there's nobody out there" after all that was available this offseason makes me feel like this is a nice way to say "whoops!'

anyone else agree?

You don't honestly believe those comments were "admitting mistakes", do you? Because if you do...

#5 DetroitIan

DetroitIan

^^^^ The Dark Defender

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:35 PM

How do those comments have anything to do with them admitting a f*** up??
What time is it??? IT'S HOMER TIME!!!

Yzerman is God.

LGWer since June '02.

#6 superstarsingh

superstarsingh

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,478 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:12 PM

They are not admitting anything. I am fine with us going into the season with our current roster.

#7 Yzerman#19

Yzerman#19

Neon Knight

• PipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:17 PM

Kenny knows what he's doing. Nuff said.

"A connecting principle linked to the invisible. Almost imperceptible, something inexpressible. Science insusceptible. Logic so inflexable. Causally connectible. Yet nothing is invincible."

#8 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE(Agalloch @ July 14, 2007 - 02:19AM) View Post

You don't honestly believe those comments were "admitting mistakes", do you? Because if you do...

ph34r.gif I love it!

#9 Chase

Chase

jesus on skates

• Bronze Booster
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE(Yzerman#19 @ July 13, 2007 - 09:17PM) View Post

Kenny knows what he's doing. Nuff said.

Amen.
---StevieY Fan---

#10 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE(WingedWheels @ July 13, 2007 - 06:08PM) View Post

mlive.com:

anyone else agree?

Another shot from the anti-holland, pro-complain/panic clique.

EVERY team would like another top-six forward, but unfortunately they were all signed to five-plus year contracts totaling well over $20m.

QUOTE(WingedWheels @ July 13, 2007 - 06:19PM) View Post

I support Kenny 110%, but I feel he waited a little too longer to address the forward situation.

Do I want his head? - no

Considering the money being asked for by every top-six forward in this offseason, what would acting sooner have accomplished?

#11 wingsfan40

wingsfan40

Zetterberg: Simply Impresses Everytime He's On The Ice

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:37 PM

Kennys The Man, PERIOD!

#12 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:49 PM

There's no mistakes. The Organization doesn't want to sign to many guys for more than 2 years. Zetterberg is a UFA then, and we need the cap space to pay him what he deserves.

No one available this off season is as good as Z, so why even bring them in and risk losing Zetterberg?

Edited by Barrie, 13 July 2007 - 09:16 PM.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#13 IceMunkee

IceMunkee

Gangster-ish

• HoF Booster
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:55 PM

I think the biggest problem here is that some people don't see the big picture. You have to look past the name on the back of jersey and understand a salary cap, greed, and space. We have to stop looking at this as a name game and realize Broke Back Bertuzzi went for 4 million a year!!! That is way to much to pay for a risk. Now Anaheim jumped the gun not knowing if Saleanne (spelling) is actually retired. The teams that made these big signings either did not have a good team or are going to be forced to dump. I understand being frustrated not getting a huge signing, not having a huge name. Unless ofcourse Z, Dats, Lids, and Hasek are considered to be big names?

This is by no means a admittance to anything. Really Kenny hears this s*** every year, he does alright and I don't think he loses sleep.
www.thedscene.com
@Gay4Datsyuk
Check It Out!

#14 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:05 AM

QUOTE(WingedWheels @ July 13, 2007 - 07:19PM) View Post

Do I want his head? - no

How is this giving the perception that they are admitting mistakes? I'm not seeing it.

Everybody is concerned about the upcoming season every year. This team hasn't changed all that much from last year's roster, and they almost made it to the SCF.

They got a younger puck-moving defenseman to replace Schnedier which, at first glance, seems to be a great move.

Younger guys who produced in Flipper and Hudler will get more playing time due to Lang and Calder leaving. Calder just fell off the face of the earth unfortuantely and Lang, while I definitely liked him, seemed overpaid in his contract. He could score some big points and was streaky, but when he wasn't producing, he was just on another planet.

It was disappointing to lose Bertuzzi I think, but I understand not paying him $4M/year with his back and not playing a full season last year. I would've like to have kept him here but good for him taking a chance in Anaheim, I wish him the best of luck. Signing Drake gives the Wings some snarl/size that Bertuzzi or somebody else might have bought to the Wings.

And the Wings could still re-sign Markov to have another one of those annoying pest players.

This roster isn't perfect, but it's still pretty good.

#15 GordieSid&Ted

GordieSid&Ted

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:22 AM

QUOTE(WingedWheels @ July 13, 2007 - 08:08PM) View Post

mlive.com:

anyone else agree?

Dude, do you have the Mel Gibson movie conspiracy theory playing on an endless loop in your house? Oh yeah, and did you kill JFK?

WTF are you talking about???????????????
Being a mod doesn't make you special.

#16 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:43 AM

QUOTE(IceMunkee @ July 13, 2007 - 09:55PM) View Post

I think the biggest problem here is that some people don't see the big picture. You have to look past the name on the back of jersey and understand a salary cap, greed, and space. We have to stop looking at this as a name game and realize Broke Back Bertuzzi went for 4 million a year!!! That is way to much to pay for a risk. Now Anaheim jumped the gun not knowing if Saleanne (spelling) is actually retired. The teams that made these big signings either did not have a good team or are going to be forced to dump. I understand being frustrated not getting a huge signing, not having a huge name. Unless ofcourse Z, Dats, Lids, and Hasek are considered to be big names?

This is by no means a admittance to anything. Really Kenny hears this s*** every year, he does alright and I don't think he loses sleep.

Exactly. And now these people want to pay for bad ankles Foresburg. No thanks, I'll pass
Do or do not. There is no try

#17 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:51 AM

Devellano's statement is in line with just about any statement coming outta management around this time of year: "We're looking, but don't get any crazy ideas". This is no more, no less.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#18 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE(IceMunkee @ July 13, 2007 - 08:55PM) View Post

In my opinion, it's just trying to understand the balances of "playing for the name on the back" and "playing for the crest on the front of the jersey".

Some professional athletes in any sport currently aren't business owners, or aren't the CFOs, CIOs, or have a major high-end position of a company. They just currently play hockey, baseball, football, etc. to support themselves or their families, much like we do at our current job or career. These people will probably be looking out for themselves or the best interests of their family FIRST, and might not consider much else. There's nothing wrong with that, and it that means trying to play for more money elsewhere, then so be it (specifically pointing to the case of Bertuzzi quoted). It's not all about greed.

Business owners or general managers of a sports franchise or other business have more responsibilty than looking out for themselves or their family. They have to consider costs, managing pay/contracts of other employees, etc. etc. etc.

#19 OsGOD

OsGOD

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:09 AM

Holland brought in Drake so he is kewl with me... Until he signs that f*&kup Lindros... THEN it will of course be a f&*ked up offseason biggrin.gif

Just one chance is all i ever wanted...just one time i'd like to win the game...from now on i'll take the chance if i can have it...just one just one

#20 Cicada

Cicada

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:21 AM

IPB Image
IPB Image