• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

drsingle

Facing Off

Rate this topic

Since many people here enjoy reading material about their divisional opponents, I've decided that I will start this thread for my articles on PredNation.com and just update this post whenever I post another blog.

Be warned that most of the articles are focused on the Nashville Predators.

6/20/07- An Open Letter to Craig Leipold

6/22/07- A Rebuttal...

7/13/07- Zoning in on Tickets and Talk

8/24/07- Expectations- Part I

8/31/07- Expectations- Part II

I appreciate all of the discussion and constructive criticism that my articles receive here.

David Singleton

PredNation.com

Edited by drsingle

Guest DetroitIan

I think you're on the wrong boards their buddy. We could care less about the preds.

Edited by DetroitIan

On the contrary. We play these guys eight times a year. We care about them quite a lot.

Also, I like the commentary from guys like drsingle here, because he represents a good smart HOCKEY fan just as much as a Preds fan, and we should respect that.

Guest DetroitIan

On the contrary. We play these guys eight times a year. We care about them quite a lot.

Also, I like the commentary from guys like drsingle here, because he represents a good smart HOCKEY fan just as much as a Preds fan, and we should respect that.

We may care a little about them in a sense. But not in the sense to sit and read preds material. I could give two squirts of piss about any articles on the preds. Especially now that they're going downhill. I definitely cant speak for everyone. But I can say with confidence that the majority of posters here could give a crap about pro-predator reading material.

Edited by DetroitIan

I think you're on the wrong boards their buddy. We could care less about the preds.

Well there is the differance of educated hockey fans and down right Detroit fans. I think you will find his readings good. I don't think the preds are downhill. They will still have a good team this year. I see where your coming from thinking that this being a Red Wings forum that only wings fan should post, but that is a bit close minded. All hockey is great. Though I disagree with your input or why if you could care so little why you would even post anything. I think you will definitly find that you do not speak for the majority of anyone in the forums. Almost everyone in the forums are extremely well educated hockey fans and encourage other views, opinions and stories.

We may care a little about them in a sense. But not in the sense to sit and read preds material. I could give two squirts of piss about any articles on the preds. Especially now that they're going downhill. I definitely cant speak for everyone. But I can say with confidence that the majority of posters here could give a crap about pro-predator reading material.

if we didn't have the views and opinions of fans from other teams it would be really boring around here. fans of other teams are what really make our forums great. if you don't care about what drsingle has to say post in another thread.

Everyone who's getting upset over this needs to just think twice about it. Obviously the majority of us are Wings fans, but this site wouldn't be nearly as fun without fans from other teams. I know there's trolls around here that like to do stupid stuff, but obviously drsingle is not one of them. I realize I won't be on PredNation like I am here, but before one of the eight games this year, you can be sure I'll either be reading or posting over there, just to see what its like. And if the Preds somehow make this a tight race this year, I know I'll be active over there too, defending my Wings in discussion.

All I'm saying is don't diss the man for promoting his site, thats all.

First, I want to thank everyone for the kind words.

Second, DetriotIan, you are probably right in that the majority of posters really don't care, or don't want to invest any time, into reading Predators material. My articles aren't always completely about the Predators, but all those on the new site are.

Of course, pointing that out to me doesn't deter me from posting those links. See, I've been a poster here for a long time- well before I became a writer for PredNation.com (which occurred this past January). I've gotten enough positive feedback from my fellow posters on LGW for my posts in general as well as my articles, that I've provided updates as to when I write a new article.

Cheers.

David Singleton

PredNation.com

Guest DetroitIan

:crazy: Try not to be a jackass

Great articles, thanks for keeping some of us updated.

:clap:

Has nothing to do with that. I, and many others here have ZERO interest in PRO-Predators reading material. And I stand behind those comments. Yeah I LOVE to hear other fans perspectives on things. But in no way is that comparable to reading material that is SOLEY for preds fans. I welcome and respect ANY opinions from other fans around the world. But like I said, thats FAR different from reading material that is geared towards preds fans. If you dont understand that, then too bad for you. I dont take back a word of what I said. Most here could CARE LESS about pro-predator readings. Bottom line. Just like avs fans wouldnt care to read things like that if I went on their boards with a bunch of pro-Wings articles. Cry me a river if you dont like to hear the truth.

Well there is the differance of educated hockey fans and down right Detroit fans. I think you will find his readings good. I don't think the preds are downhill. They will still have a good team this year. I see where your coming from thinking that this being a Red Wings forum that only wings fan should post, but that is a bit close minded. All hockey is great. Though I disagree with your input or why if you could care so little why you would even post anything. I think you will definitly find that you do not speak for the majority of anyone in the forums. Almost everyone in the forums are extremely well educated hockey fans and encourage other views, opinions and stories.

And so am I. I LOVE all different forms of hockey. I've been a NHL center ice customer for 4 seasons. And Im a fan of hockey in general. Not just the Red Wings. And in fact, if it were any other team I may be more open minded. But I HATE the preds. Hate them. And so does the MAJORITY of Wings fans. So like I said. Most of us could care less about pro-preds content. Some Philly fan comes on here and does the same thing, and it would be different. But a preds fan? Pshhh. I and many others dont give a s***. And thats the truth. Thats all part of a rivalry. And I dont wanna hear about how the preds are gonna be such a "good team." Hell, they couldnt get the division title over us with the team they had. You think they have a shot in overtaking us after losing Hartnell, Timonen, Forsberg, AND Tomas Vokoun??? That sounds like delusions of granger to me. Yeah they might not be bottom of the barrell. But in no way are they as talented as they were last season. And they couldnt overtake us then. And they wont overtake us now. The frickin Blues are a bigger threat then the preds now. And honestly, I would MUCH rather hear Blues material then s***ty preds material. And trust me, most on these boards agree.

Edited by DetroitIan

Has nothing to do with that. I, and many others here have ZERO interest in PRO-Predators reading material. And I stand behind those comments. Yeah I LOVE to hear other fans perspectives on things. But in no way is that comparable to reading material that is SOLEY for preds fans. I welcome and respect ANY opinions from other fans around the world. But like I said, thats FAR different from reading material that is geared towards preds fans. If you dont understand that, then too bad for you. I dont take back a word of what I said. Most here could CARE LESS about pro-predator readings. Bottom line. Just like avs fans wouldnt care to read things like that if I went on their boards with a bunch of pro-Wings articles. Cry me a river if you dont like to hear the truth.

And so am I. I LOVE all different forms of hockey. I've been a NHL center ice customer for 4 seasons. And Im a fan of hockey in general. Not just the Red Wings. And in fact, if it were any other team I may be more open minded. But I HATE the preds. Hate them. And so does the MAJORITY of Wings fans. So like I said. Most of us could care less about pro-preds content. Some Philly fan comes on here and does the same thing, and it would be different. But a preds fan? Pshhh. I and many others dont give a s***. And thats the truth. Thats all part of a rivalry. And I dont wanna hear about how the preds are gonna be such a "good team." Hell, they couldnt get the division title over us with the team they had. You think they have a shot in overtaking us after losing Hartnell, Timonen, Forsberg, AND Tomas Vokoun??? That sounds like delusions of granger to me. Yeah they might not be bottom of the barrell. But in no way are they as talented as they were last season. And they couldnt overtake us then. And they wont overtake us now. The frickin Blues are a bigger threat then the preds now. And honestly, I would MUCH rather hear Blues material then s***ty preds material. And trust me, most on these boards agree.

So, not to be overly prickish but, if you have "ZERO interest in PRO-Predators reading material" then are you trying to troll, pick a fight, or inflate your post count?

Hell, why not do what the majority of care less users are doing and skip it?

Good reading BTW drsingle

Edited by vangvace

Good articles Dave.

I read you're letter to Craig Leipold a little while ago. I'm curious to know if you actually sent it, and if he ever responded.

I did and he did respond. He just expressed his appreciation for those thoughts. While I wrote the article for Craig, I also wrote that article to calm some of my fellow Predator fans down in regards to their vitriol towards Leipold.

Unless the next owner is the local group, we will probably have to say goodbye to accessibility of someone like owner. I hope not.

David

Edited by drsingle

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Hey Ian, get off your friggin high horse. No offense to the ladies out there but Ian you sound like a whiny little b*tch. Seriously, you want to start a bunch of drama because the guy posted links? I could care less about reading anything regarding the Preds unless its saying they suck, therefore I don't click on the links. The forums have all kinds of content. David isn't flooding the board with all kinds of Preds crap so what's the big deal. Honestly, you're crying like a little girl and you should stop because basically you look like a pompous ass, spoiled, whiny little turd. You don't want to see it then fuggin' don't click on the thread. DUH!

Hey Ian, get off your friggin high horse. No offense to the ladies out there but Ian you sound like a whiny little b*tch. Seriously, you want to start a bunch of drama because the guy posted links? I could care less about reading anything regarding the Preds unless its saying they suck, therefore I don't click on the links. The forums have all kinds of content. David isn't flooding the board with all kinds of Preds crap so what's the big deal. Honestly, you're crying like a little girl and you should stop because basically you look like a pompous ass, spoiled, whiny little turd. You don't want to see it then fuggin' don't click on the thread. DUH!

I think i would have been a little less harsh but still :clap::clap::clap:

Guest DetroitIan

The only whiny sounding little ***** here is you. I was just stating my opinion on hating the preds. YOU are the one who is crying about my post. Wanna tissue little girl?? I stand behind EVERY comment in my post. If it was a preds fan doing ALL NHL content. Then its a totally different story. Im just stating a widely shared opinion that most Wings fans tend to care less about content that is SOLEY geered towards our rival team's fans. Dont like that opinion?? TOO BAD. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. GST = Whiny little ******. Keep crying loser. Keep crying.

The only whiny sounding little ***** here is you. I was just stating my opinion on hating the preds. YOU are the one who is crying about my post. Wanna tissue little girl?? I stand behind EVERY comment in my post. If it was a preds fan doing ALL NHL content. Then its a totally different story. Im just stating a widely shared opinion that most Wings fans tend to care less about content that is SOLEY geered towards our rival team's fans. Dont like that opinion?? TOO BAD. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. GST = Whiny little ******. Keep crying loser. Keep crying.

Dude, the only problem is that there has yet to be 1 other person on your side...

P.S. Trust me, it really is you that sounds like the whinny blank

Edited by WingNut199

Guest DetroitIan

Dude, the only problem is that there has yet to be 1 other person on your side...

P.S. Trust me, it really is you that sounds like the whinny blank

Im guessing thats because the ones who agree with me never bothered on clicking the link in the first place. But I felt like getting my two cents out on the subject. Only cause its the preds. Like I said before, If it were any other team, I wouldnt have a problem. But since I hate that team with a passion. Best believe Im gonna let my opinion known about the Kansas City Preds. Dont like it?? Too ******* bad. Preds are rolling downhill faster then gravity.

Edited by DetroitIan

For the people who are lazy like me who do not want to click links and have clutter of browsers open up.

7/13/07

Zoning In On Tickets and Talk 
On Thursday, July 19th, a ticket-thon and rally will be held at the Sommet Center.  Both events are being sponsored by 104.5 The Zone and OurTeamNashville.com.  Willy Daunic of 104.5 The Zone has passed along that the ticket-thon will be held from 6am – 9pm.  Doors will be open all day to allow prospective ticket buyers to choose their seats.  The Zone will be broadcasting all day from the floor of the Sommet Center.  The rally itself will be from 6pm – 7pm, but everyone is welcome to arrive early.  SaveThePredators.com will also be selling T-Shirts in order to purchase tickets for charity.  All hockey fans owe it to themselves to show support for this endeavor, buy a T-shirt, and attend for as long as they can.  For those that purchase a ticket plan during the ticket-thon, they will receive a one year membership to the Nashville Sports Council.

Along with extolling listeners to procure their hockey tickets, hockey discussion will be featured all day long.  Hopefully, there will be more focus given the team’s on-ice prospects as opposed to the owner situation.  In an effort to spur that discussion, I will offer up a few topics that’s been on mind.

Replacing Lost Offense
With the departure of Paul Kariya, Scott Hartnell, and Kimmo Timonen, Barry Trotz and his staff face the difficult task of replacing their offensive production.  Paul led the team in points for the past two seasons.  Scott provided solid point production from the third line.  Timonen has been our most consistent defenseman from both an offensive and defensive perspective.  How do they replace that?

The team will definitely have to count on Alexander Radulov to spend more than ten minutes on the ice per game.  He has proven in last season’s playoffs that he has another gear.  He has hopefully earned the confidence of the coaching staff to be depended upon in all situations.  It’s certainly possible that he could replace Paul’s point production (although probably not their combined total from last season).  Paul’s leadership will have to be replaced in other ways.

That leads me to David Legwand.  David made incredible strides last season.  This is his year to become one of the leaders of this team and assert himself as one of the best two-way forwards in the game.  It also happens to be his contract year.  Last season, Legwand set career marks in goals, assists, +/-, points, and shot percentage.  He and Steve Sullivan were the best penalty killers on the team.  He is also the best the Predators have in bringing the puck into the offensive zone.  The only area that continues to be a sore spot with Legwand is his face-off percentage.  This season, I’d like to see Legwand’s penalty killing role reduced, as well as Sullivan’s, and his power play time increased.  He definitely needs to become better on face-offs as well.

Steve Sullivan is the heart and soul of this team.  He has been since he was acquired from the Chicago Blackhawks.  He plays on one of the top two lines, plays the power play, and plays the penalty kill.  Unfortunately, he’s also prone to injury- particularly his groin, and now his back.  For the Predator’s to succeed, he has to stay on the ice.  In an effort to increase the odds of that, I’d like to see his penalty killing role reduced.  I would make the Legwand – Sullivan pairing the second, or even third, penalty killing unit.  If Sullivan is allowed to focus on even strength and power play time, hopefully he will not only stay fresh throughout the game, but stay healthy throughout the season.

Finally, the team will have to hope that Marek Zidlicky can replace Kimmo’s offensive production.  Shea Weber, Dan Hamhuis, and Ryan Suter will all be counted on to increase their output as well.

If all of the above occurs, and the team continues to receive excellent contributions from Erat, Arnott, and Dumont- the only thing standing in the way of offensive success is correcting the power play.

Special Special Teams
Now that we’ve dismantled our best penalty killing unit by reducing Legwand and Sullivan’s role, reconstruction is necessary.  Enter Radek Bonk, Jed Ortmeyer, and Greg DeVries.  All three are considered shutdown-type, checking line, players.  Allowing Bonk and Ortmeyer to specialize in checking line and penalty killing roles suit their skills and allows Legwand and Sullivan the opportunity to fill the offensive void.  DeVries allows one of Hamhuis or Suter to focus more towards their offensive game.

For the talent on this team last season, the production from the power play units were completely unacceptable.  In my article following the loss to the Sharks, I, rightly or wrongly, called for the dismissal of Peter Horachek.  Now that Horachek has been retained, it’s time to move on and attempt to address the areas that were most glaring on the power play.  The problems begin with the face-off.  Too many times, we were unable to win the face-off while on the power play, allowing the defense to quickly clear the puck and make a change.  The second problem, which went beyond power play situations, involved bringing the puck into the offensive zone.  The Predators had extreme difficulty bringing the puck into the zone without turning over the puck.  Legwand was by far the best at doing so, but was well down the list in power play time (his face-off percentage didn’t help that fact).  Sullivan, Erat, Radulov, and Suter are probably the other players that can effectively bring the puck into the zone (in that order).  The final problem with the power play is finding someone willing to make quick decisions with the puck- particularly the right time to put it on net.  Radulov, Weber, Arnott, Sullivan, and Dumont were the best at doing so, but Radulov and Weber’s power play role was minimal for the first half (or more) of the season.

Some of those problems are harder to address than others.  I honestly don’t know how to address the face-off percentage problem if Legwand does not get better in that department.  It’s possible Radek Bonk could be used on the second unit for face-off purposes as well as operating around the net, but Legwand still needs to be on the ice as one of our best playmakers.  To allow the team to set up in the zone, I’d build the units to ensure that Legwand, Sullivan, Erat, Radulov, and Suter are split between the two units to allow at least two options for bring the puck into the zone.  Once in the zone, design strategies to quickly get the puck onto the sticks of the playmakers- Legwand, Sullivan, and Dumont primarily- while everyone moves into position to make an immediate shot as a primary outlet, or secondary outlet.  Keep the strategy to no more than two passes from the playmaker’s stick before a shot is taken.

Injuries and Depth
One final topic that I would like to see discussed on the Zone is the team’s ability to handle injuries with their depth, or lack thereof.

Last season, we were in the fortunate position to ice three scoring lines.  When we had injuries, we could still form two solid scoring lines as well as ice a power play unit that should have been successful.  This season, that offensive depth is not there.  The coaching staff has to make a decision on whether to promote third and fourth line players into a scoring role, or to use offensively gifted call-ups in a scoring role.  In the past, we have chosen to promote the third and fourth line players with limited success.  This season, I would like to see a team that consists of players that know their role and execute it to perfection.  When injuries occur on the scoring lines, I’d like to see offensively gifted players, like Cal O’Reilly, called up to fill those roles allowing the other parts of the team to continue perfecting their own roles.

Those are just some of the topics that we will hopefully see during a great day of hockey discussion.  Come down and join The Zone for the ticket-thon and rally.  I will be there as well from 4:30pm – 8pm.  I hope to see everyone there.

Edited by Jwo

I did and he did respond. He just expressed his appreciation for those thoughts. While I wrote the article for Craig, I also wrote that article to calm some of my fellow Predator fans down in regards to their vitriol towards Leipold.

Unless the next owner is the local group, we will probably have to say goodbye to accessibility of someone like owner. I hope not.

David

Ok. Thanks for telling me. :)

Really dude I was all about you stating your point, I was just disagreeing but now I got a point. There is a differance in between watching hockey and understanding it. There is nothing wrong with either, hell we need all the fans we ca get in the NHL. I will tell you about my "delusions of granger" and show you that you could learn more as we all could about the sport. Okay the first name you mentioned Hartnell is a third liner!!! So your team does not take a huge hit losing a third liner. Next Timonen, well a good defender but the money he was given I would have dumped his ass too. Do not forget about the youthful D they have, hell the Youthful team they have. They have good depth. Next Forsberg... Seriously your gonna count him as a loss? He barely played and when he did he did not do much. Vokoun... I understand that with the lack of knowledge about Chris Mason you have you could think losing Vokoun was a big deal. Vokoun is a good goalie that never performed in the playoff's. Not once. Mason is great. Had a great season and definitly deserves a shot as a started since he did start for a couple months last year while Koun was injured. Lest not forget that the biggest impact they lost you failed to mention was Kariya considering he lead the team in points for two seasons!!! Seriously don't get center ice just becuase it is cool to tell friends you have it watch the games, understand the players then start stating dumbass comments about delusions of granger. Do a little research.

Guest DetroitIan

Really dude I was all about you stating your point, I was just disagreeing but now I got a point. There is a differance in between watching hockey and understanding it. There is nothing wrong with either, hell we need all the fans we ca get in the NHL. I will tell you about my "delusions of granger" and show you that you could learn more as we all could about the sport. Okay the first name you mentioned Hartnell is a third liner!!! So your team does not take a huge hit losing a third liner. Next Timonen, well a good defender but the money he was given I would have dumped his ass too. Do not forget about the youthful D they have, hell the Youthful team they have. They have good depth. Next Forsberg... Seriously your gonna count him as a loss? He barely played and when he did he did not do much. Vokoun... I understand that with the lack of knowledge about Chris Mason you have you could think losing Vokoun was a big deal. Vokoun is a good goalie that never performed in the playoff's. Not once. Mason is great. Had a great season and definitly deserves a shot as a started since he did start for a couple months last year while Koun was injured. Lest not forget that the biggest impact they lost you failed to mention was Kariya considering he lead the team in points for two seasons!!! Seriously don't get center ice just becuase it is cool to tell friends you have it watch the games, understand the players then start stating dumbass comments about delusions of granger. Do a little research.

Hahaha! OMG where do I start with replying to this load of bulls*** that you call a post. Lets see, first off, ANYONE would straight up laugh at you if they heard you say that Losing Hartnell, Timomen, Forsberg AND ALL STAR goaltender Tomas Vokoun doesnt make them less talented. :lol::rolleyes: Chris Mason is a good netminder no doubt. But he is NO Tomas Vokoun. So if you wanna talk about hockey knowledge, I think you might wanna get some of your own before sounding clueless. I forgot to say Kariya, BIG ******* DEAL. It just happend to slip my mind at the time. I know that NEVER happens to you. Oh great one. :rolleyes: But thanks, you just made my point stonger. Ive been a fan of hockey since 1986(probably before you were born). And I have had Center Ice for 4 seasons now. Ive probably watched JUST as many games from other teams around the league as I have with the Red Wings. In fact, I would be condifent in saying I've probably watched 5 times the amount of NHL hockey games that you have watched during the past 4 years. But its absolutely LAUGHABLE to say that losing Kariya, Forsberg, Hartnell, Timonen, and Vokoun doesnt make them a less talented squad. And just shows your completely lack of hockey intelligence. But for real though, next time you wanna get your ass schooled, just let me know. ;)

Edited by DetroitIan

Hahaha! OMG where do I start with replying to this load of bulls*** that you call a post. Lets see, first off, ANYONE would straight up laugh at you if they heard you say that Losing Hartnell, Timomen, Forsberg AND ALL STAR goaltender Tomas Vokoun doesnt make them less talented. :lol::rolleyes: Chris Mason is a good netminder no doubt. But he is NO Tomas Vokoun. So if you wanna talk about hockey knowledge, I think you might wanna get some of your own before sounding clueless. I forgot to say Kariya, BIG ******* DEAL. It just happend to slip my mind at the time. I know that NEVER happens to you. Oh great one. :rolleyes: But thanks, you just made my point stonger. Ive been a fan of hockey since 1986(probably before you were born). And I have had Center Ice for 4 seasons now. Ive probably watched JUST as many games from other teams around the league as I have with the Red Wings. In fact, I would be condifent in saying I've probably watched 5 times the amount of NHL hockey games that you have watched during the past 4 years. But its absolutely LAUGHABLE to say that losing Kariya, Forsberg, Hartnell, Timonen, and Vokoun doesnt make them a less talented squad. And just shows your completely lack of hockey intelligence. But for real though, next time you wanna get your ass schooled, just let me know. ;)

I really like that you insult me while making yourself sound like a redneck idiot dropping all those grown up words and such. Your mom has to be so proud. Really I did not say one time that losing these players did not make them less talented, I said your wrong by saying they "suck' becuase hey lost them. Really what knowledge did you drop that schooled me? You said nothing that made your post even slightly intelligent, hockey related or just at all. Your an idiot, learn me some hockey fan since 86'. Definitly don't tell people since before you were born when you have no idea when that would be. Again makes you sound stupid. Tell me what Tomas Vokoun has done that makes him so great? Really, I am suprised though that your antenna can even pick up Center Ice from your trailer park. Crazy.