• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest DetroitIan

Favorite Hockey Equipment Brands

Rate this topic

Guest DetroitIan

I played hockey for almost 4 years. And I for one have used PLENTY of different kinds of equipment. But honestly, I can say that out of everything I've used, the most reliable brand seams to be Bauer. CCM is also a reliable brand. Anyone have any preferences? Likes, or dislikes? What do YOU use?

Edited by DetroitIan

Every underpad I own is Nike Bauer. I have Mission pants, and gloves. I just got an RBK helmet after I've been rocking Bauer helmets throughout all my years of hockey. I just got a RBK 7K stick which is sick, but I go through a few sticks. I just got a new pair of Nike Bauer Supreme 10s which I love.

So for sticks and helmets, I prefer RBK, or Easton. Pants and gloves, Mission. Everything else, Nike Bauer.

For skates I like my Easton Z-air's. They were like new and I got them for $30 from a teenager that outgrew them.

My favorite stick is the Bauer Vapor XXX Lite. It's a Jason Williams game used that I got at JLA for $100.

My pants are CCM, ditto for helmet. I use a set of really nice CCM Pro gloves that I also got at JLA for $50 and appear to have been used in prospect camp.

Edited by Gizmo

Guest DetroitIan

Every underpad I own is Nike Bauer. I have Mission pants, and gloves. I just got an RBK helmet after I've been rocking Bauer helmets throughout all my years of hockey. I just got a RBK 7K stick which is sick, but I go through a few sticks. I just got a new pair of Nike Bauer Supreme 10s which I love.

So for sticks and helmets, I prefer RBK, or Easton. Pants and gloves, Mission. Everything else, Nike Bauer.

Actually Im totally with you there. Easton sticks seam to be BY FAR the most durable. I STILL have my old Easton stick. But during the past 2 years I've had 3 different Jofa sticks break on me. In fact I was JUST thinking about how bad I need to buy an Easton. :thumbup:

Skates - Graf Supra G5s (Best skates ever, besides the Ultra G5s)

Shin Pads - Graf 700s (Best shin pads ever)

Pants - Graf 700s (Best pants ever)

As you can see. Graf makes the best equipment.

Guest DetroitIan

For skates I like my Easton Z-air's. They were like new and I got them for $30 from a teenager that outgrew them.

My favorite stick is the Bauer Vapor XXX Lite. It's a Jason Williams game used that I got at JLA for $100.

My pants are CCM, ditto for helmet. I use a set of really nice CCM Pro gloves that I also got at JLA for $50 and appear to have been used in prospect camp.

Dude thats frickin awesome!! Dont be breaking that one! lol

Skates - Graf Supra G5s (Best skates ever, besides the Ultra G5s)

Shin Pads - Graf 700s (Best shin pads ever)

Pants - Graf 700s (Best pants ever)

As you can see. Graf makes the best equipment.

Absolutely! Definitely the best shin pads ive used. I dont have the pants, so I'll take your word on that. But those shin pads can take so much abuse. Yet seam brand new. Love it.

Actually Im totally with you there. Easton sticks seam to be BY FAR the most durable. I STILL have my old Easton stick. But during the past 2 years I've had 3 different Jofa sticks break on me. In fact I was JUST thinking about how bad I need to buy an Easton. :thumbup:

Yeah, can't go wrong with Easton. Those new Synergy Elites look really nice, but you can thank them for bringing in a whole new wave of hockey sticks. The first two piece alluminum hockey sticks changed sticks forever in the early 90's, thank Easton. :thumbup:

Guest DetroitIan

Yeah, can't go wrong with Easton. Those new Synergy Elites look really nice, but you can thank them for bringing in a whole new wave of hockey sticks. The first two piece alluminum hockey sticks changed sticks forever in the early 90's, thank Easton. :thumbup:

Oh absolutely! I really wanna try a Synergy. Im just in a broke faze right now. lol Otherwise I probably would already have one.

I work at Metro Sports, we sell a lot of hockey stuff, and we see a lot of broken sticks. I must say for all who think easton sticks are the most durable, you must be getting lucky, because there is no composite stick that we see more come back in that are broken than easton. We rarely see bauers and that is what i use. When the Vapor XXX lite's came out we got some leftover pro-stock ones from the red wings. we got Kronwall, Lang, Holmstrom, and Mowers. I bought a mowers stick and have had it for about a year and a half, before that i had a Vapor XX that lasted me two years. Bauer is the best for sticks

As for the other equipment. I have mostly Jofa (now RBK) and Bauer. I have CCM pants and Easton skates from '03 before they started to suck.

i wonder if they'res such thing as a Game used Andreas Lilja stick that wasn't broken into 75 peices?

Guest GordieSid&Ted

I played hockey for almost 4 years. And I for one have used PLENTY of different kinds of equipment. But honestly, I can say that out of everything I've used, the most reliable brand seams to be Bauer. CCM is also a reliable brand. Anyone have any preferences? Likes, or dislikes? What do YOU use?

Helmets: I only wear the old style CCM's like Chelios uses. I refuse to wear anything else. Oh yeah, and no visor. Who needs their eyes anyway :D

Skates: I've had all kinds over the past 20 years, currently rockin' out the CCM's. Missions for inline.

Gloves: Have used Easton's, CCM's primarily. Favorite pair and what i've used for the past 5 years are 13" Hespeler short cuffs (they're easy to shed, hehe)

Shins: Rocking out the same old school Vic's for the past 12 years. Sort of have a Craig Ludwig nostalgia for me although not as big as his were.

Elbows: CCM supra hard-caps. These are about 5 years old also.

Shoulders: hmm....hell, I actually can't think of em right now. They're the same ones I used in high school so they're roughly 15 years old.

Pants: Winnwell's. Hell, are they even in business anymore? Same as my shoulder pads these pants are prolly 15 years old but comfortable as hell and they block alot of shots for me without getting me hurt.

Sticks: WOOD, WOOD, WOOD!!!!!! I've used every major brand's wood sticks. For the past 5 years i've been using nothing but Sherwood's. I swithced a few years ago to the 5030's thinking I was Paul Coffey (but roughly 50 games and 2 goals later it ain't my destiny). Anyway, Sherwood's are reliable, cheap, have a great heft to them and they hurt like hell.

Sherwood/CCM/Bauer skates pretty much you can't go wrong there.

skates - synergy 1500's (comfortable as hell)

shin and elbows - bauer, but want the rbk 7k's

shoulders - easton, but i want some old joffa's, the eastons make me look like a linebacker...

gloves - easton, love them.

helmet - bauer, want the rbk 9k (light and comfy)

i stick with easton sticks, i love the SL grip and ST grip...stealth and elite are to overprized....also warrior sticks are pretty good, kronick....

hmm lets see, mission skates and pants, bauer gloves, helmet, vic elbow pads, ferland shoulder pads, hespler shin pads, itech jock and D & R neck guard, shock doctor mouth guard and sherwood stick that yes is wooden, i actually like to feel like im holding something instead of air, plus you can lay a good two hander without shattering your stick. :D

I played goal for a few years, and have been thinking about getting back into it. I've always liked Vaugh goalie stuff, but lately I've been looking at Itech. I've always liked this model of pads:

IPB Image

I've also thought about the Reebok pads:

IPB Image

Edited by Hockeytown0001

Guest DetroitIan

I played goal for a few years, and have been thinking about getting back into it. I've always liked Vaugh goalie stuff, but lately I've been looking at Itech. I've always liked this model of pads:

IPB Image

I've also thought about the Reebok pads:

IPB Image

Yeah my friend Chris is a goalie. And he was telling me about his new Reebok pads. He said they are the best pads he's had. He's been playing for like 14 years or something. So he's gone through a ton. I would definitely go with the Reeboks.

Helmets: I only wear the old style CCM's like Chelios uses. I refuse to wear anything else. Oh yeah, and no visor. Who needs their eyes anyway :D

Anyway, Sherwood's are reliable, cheap, have a great heft to them and they hurt like hell.

haha, Sherwoods! Montreal was my pick back with wood, not necessarily pricey either.

These are a couple of mine: CCM 952 Tacks, Easton synergy 750s. The skates have put up with seven years of abuse... and they've got perfect bend for directional movement out there, I've even redone the fastenings and replaced a pair of chassis on them.

Once the palms go out on these synergies, it's gonna be up to these: Bauer vapors, CCMs, Eagles, Tours or Warriors (Totally can see the freedom of hand movement theme here, eh?)

all in all, I gotta say, no two pieces matter to me more than your hands and feet. A guy I was skating with the other night mentioned his team picked him up some $650 CAD Eastons on their buck, and they're great - which is good, cos I've been curious about Eastons... I'll have to give them a look.

I've played since 1980 and I have spent 16 years in the hockey equipment business. I'm not loyal to any one brand, I think each has some good equipment with nice features at a fair price; I also think the same companies have some junk in their lines. Here's what I use:

Helmets--Bauer 4000 for playing, Itech 95 for coaching.

Cage--Itech titanium cage, not the model that's out now, I used to rep for them so I have a sample of a previous version they tried to introduce in '99. I hate cages, but I have taken 2 pucks to the eye, can't risk another.

Shoulders--a pair of Coopers that are 20+ years old (only been using them for about 6 years).

Elbows--CCM 652, 2 years old, great pad.

Gloves--Itech pro model from '99 for playing, DR for coaching (team-issued).

Pants--Hespeler Pro Classics or something like that... they're getting shredded so I bought a pair of CCM Blackhawks pant covers from Hawk Quarters last year.

Shins--DR, my old Itechs cracked :(

Skates--Bauer 8090 and Kor Shift 1. Kor doesn't have any NHLers wearing them, but they are by far the best skate available. Composite boot, fully heat-moldable, superior comfort and mobility.

Sticks--Black Beauty shafts and wood blades (I work for them).

Also, I'm not a believer in this "lighter is better" mentality. Lighter is lighter, not better. Top-end skates that sell for $500 shouldn't be thrown away after a year, and $200 for a stick is asinine.

Anyone looking for a great hockey equipment discussion forum, check out www.modsquadhockey.com. It was down for server maintenance earlier today but should be back online this weekend.

Edited by joshy207

I've got some CCM E60 skates that were originally retailing at $400 but I acquired at Perani's for $100. They've been the best skates I've ever had. Totally bulletproof, plenty of protection, and extremely comfortable.

All of my other equipment has been budget-based, so I have no brand loyalty. I find whatever's cheap at Perani's and nab it. Nike gloves and helmet, and a whole variety of stuff for the remaining equipment. None of it has really let me down, and I play twice weekly. I've had generally positive experiences with a TPS shaft I purchased. It's gone through hell. I'm well into the double-digits for blades, and it's marked and scarred all over, but still totally straight and strong. It also came cheap because the factory sent it out with cosmetic issues, some surface glue or something.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

haha, Sherwoods! Montreal was my pick back with wood, not necessarily pricey either.

These are a couple of mine: CCM 952 Tacks, Easton synergy 750s. The skates have put up with seven years of abuse... and they've got perfect bend for directional movement out there, I've even redone the fastenings and replaced a pair of chassis on them.

Once the palms go out on these synergies, it's gonna be up to these: Bauer vapors, CCMs, Eagles, Tours or Warriors (Totally can see the freedom of hand movement theme here, eh?)

all in all, I gotta say, no two pieces matter to me more than your hands and feet. A guy I was skating with the other night mentioned his team picked him up some $650 CAD Eastons on their buck, and they're great - which is good, cos I've been curious about Eastons... I'll have to give them a look.

I hope we haven't lost you to the dark side of fancy, shmancy sticks that cost more than any pair of skates I ever bought???

I keep a stockpile of old sticks in the garage that I chop down for my kids or shoot street hockey with or whatever, hell, i've got probably dozens of banged up sher-woods and then handfulls of Vic's, Loueys, Jofa's, etc...

In 20 years i've only had one stick ever break on me when I was in the act of shooting and i've probably slammed, stepped on, javelin-tossed and otherwise purposefully destroyed dozens of them without giving a rat's patoot because I never paid more than 30 bucks for a one of them.

I'm only 30 years old now and for the most part I'll be using the same gear since high school except for my elbow pads and my gloves. The gloves will eventually go but everything else is gonna stay old-school, the way it should be. Frankly, the idea of paying even 100 dollars for a stick makes me chuckle. And truthfully, when I see somebody's snap in two on them or they give me a little jab and I two-hand their shiny stick into oblivion, I kinda feel like you got it coming to you for paying that much for something that you don't even need. I especially like to watch the novice players go out there. I love the pigeon-towed skaters that go for the big wind up and eat it on the follow thru. But hey, they sure look the part when they glide past with that fancy 200 dollar stick in their hands. Ugghhhh....one of the most ridiculous things ever sold to hockey players was the idea that wooden sticks weren't good enough. If they were good enough for Al MacInnis until the day he retired and they're still go enough for players like Jason Spezza, they're good enough for me.

Okay, officially off my soapbox now. :D

Helmet - Baure 8000

Haffie - Oakley aviator procut

Shoulder - who wears those anyhow?

Jones - from about 10 years ago, I've tried a few new pair, but they never seem to fit right

Gloves - Easton w/ wrist wrap and baure xxx

Pants - Easton pro stock

Shin - Baure somethings from years ago

Skates - Baure 8000, gunna get the new Vapor XXXX's

Stick - I've had just about every brand, I've found that Easton sticks suck, they last me about a week. I've had the best luck with TPS Response Plus, and XN10's

Helmet - RBK 8k with fishbowl ( i play college so we gotta wear full face stuff )

Gloves - Nike Bauer pro 4-roll nylon (brand new stuff this year, ones that homer is wearin )

Shins - Bauer 8000

Pants - RBK

Shoulders - old school bauers, pre-bulky days

elbows - jofa (now RBK)

skates - Nike Bauer Vapor XXXX

Sticks - Warrior dolomite (black, blue, orange one)