• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:25 PM

I've played since 1980 and I have spent 16 years in the hockey equipment business. I'm not loyal to any one brand, I think each has some good equipment with nice features at a fair price; I also think the same companies have some junk in their lines. Here's what I use:

Helmets--Bauer 4000 for playing, Itech 95 for coaching.
Cage--Itech titanium cage, not the model that's out now, I used to rep for them so I have a sample of a previous version they tried to introduce in '99. I hate cages, but I have taken 2 pucks to the eye, can't risk another.
Shoulders--a pair of Coopers that are 20+ years old (only been using them for about 6 years).
Elbows--CCM 652, 2 years old, great pad.
Gloves--Itech pro model from '99 for playing, DR for coaching (team-issued).
Pants--Hespeler Pro Classics or something like that... they're getting shredded so I bought a pair of CCM Blackhawks pant covers from Hawk Quarters last year.
Shins--DR, my old Itechs cracked sad.gif
Skates--Bauer 8090 and Kor Shift 1. Kor doesn't have any NHLers wearing them, but they are by far the best skate available. Composite boot, fully heat-moldable, superior comfort and mobility.
Sticks--Black Beauty shafts and wood blades (I work for them).

Also, I'm not a believer in this "lighter is better" mentality. Lighter is lighter, not better. Top-end skates that sell for $500 shouldn't be thrown away after a year, and $200 for a stick is asinine.

Anyone looking for a great hockey equipment discussion forum, check out www.modsquadhockey.com. It was down for server maintenance earlier today but should be back online this weekend.

Edited by joshy207, 14 July 2007 - 05:26 PM.

#22 Feldmarschall

Feldmarschall

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:10 PM

I've got some CCM E60 skates that were originally retailing at $400 but I acquired at Perani's for $100. They've been the best skates I've ever had. Totally bulletproof, plenty of protection, and extremely comfortable.

All of my other equipment has been budget-based, so I have no brand loyalty. I find whatever's cheap at Perani's and nab it. Nike gloves and helmet, and a whole variety of stuff for the remaining equipment. None of it has really let me down, and I play twice weekly. I've had generally positive experiences with a TPS shaft I purchased. It's gone through hell. I'm well into the double-digits for blades, and it's marked and scarred all over, but still totally straight and strong. It also came cheap because the factory sent it out with cosmetic issues, some surface glue or something.

#23 GordieSid&Ted

GordieSid&Ted

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE(Flip-check @ July 14, 2007 - 06:04PM) View Post

haha, Sherwoods! Montreal was my pick back with wood, not necessarily pricey either.
These are a couple of mine: CCM 952 Tacks, Easton synergy 750s. The skates have put up with seven years of abuse... and they've got perfect bend for directional movement out there, I've even redone the fastenings and replaced a pair of chassis on them.

Once the palms go out on these synergies, it's gonna be up to these: Bauer vapors, CCMs, Eagles, Tours or Warriors (Totally can see the freedom of hand movement theme here, eh?)

all in all, I gotta say, no two pieces matter to me more than your hands and feet. A guy I was skating with the other night mentioned his team picked him up some $650 CAD Eastons on their buck, and they're great - which is good, cos I've been curious about Eastons... I'll have to give them a look.

I hope we haven't lost you to the dark side of fancy, shmancy sticks that cost more than any pair of skates I ever bought???

I keep a stockpile of old sticks in the garage that I chop down for my kids or shoot street hockey with or whatever, hell, i've got probably dozens of banged up sher-woods and then handfulls of Vic's, Loueys, Jofa's, etc...

In 20 years i've only had one stick ever break on me when I was in the act of shooting and i've probably slammed, stepped on, javelin-tossed and otherwise purposefully destroyed dozens of them without giving a rat's patoot because I never paid more than 30 bucks for a one of them.

I'm only 30 years old now and for the most part I'll be using the same gear since high school except for my elbow pads and my gloves. The gloves will eventually go but everything else is gonna stay old-school, the way it should be. Frankly, the idea of paying even 100 dollars for a stick makes me chuckle. And truthfully, when I see somebody's snap in two on them or they give me a little jab and I two-hand their shiny stick into oblivion, I kinda feel like you got it coming to you for paying that much for something that you don't even need. I especially like to watch the novice players go out there. I love the pigeon-towed skaters that go for the big wind up and eat it on the follow thru. But hey, they sure look the part when they glide past with that fancy 200 dollar stick in their hands. Ugghhhh....one of the most ridiculous things ever sold to hockey players was the idea that wooden sticks weren't good enough. If they were good enough for Al MacInnis until the day he retired and they're still go enough for players like Jason Spezza, they're good enough for me.

Okay, officially off my soapbox now. biggrin.gif
Being a mod doesn't make you special.

#24 BringHomeTheCup!

BringHomeTheCup!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:47 PM

Helmet - Baure 8000
Haffie - Oakley aviator procut
Shoulder - who wears those anyhow?
Jones - from about 10 years ago, I've tried a few new pair, but they never seem to fit right
Gloves - Easton w/ wrist wrap and baure xxx
Pants - Easton pro stock
Shin - Baure somethings from years ago
Skates - Baure 8000, gunna get the new Vapor XXXX's
Stick - I've had just about every brand, I've found that Easton sticks suck, they last me about a week. I've had the best luck with TPS Response Plus, and XN10's

#25 GVSUhockey

GVSUhockey

Prospect

• 34 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:06 PM

Helmet - RBK 8k with fishbowl ( i play college so we gotta wear full face stuff )
Gloves - Nike Bauer pro 4-roll nylon (brand new stuff this year, ones that homer is wearin )
Shins - Bauer 8000
Pants - RBK
Shoulders - old school bauers, pre-bulky days
elbows - jofa (now RBK)
skates - Nike Bauer Vapor XXXX
Sticks - Warrior dolomite (black, blue, orange one)

#26 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:16 PM

I tend to wear whatever is on sale. Give the choice, I like the Bauer products, but I'm not picky.

For those who have used them, how are the Warrior sticks? When I played lacrosse, I used a lot of Warrior gear and really liked it.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#27 TheFriscoKid

TheFriscoKid

Draftee

• 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:25 PM

Being a goalie:

TPS Leg Pads
TPS Trapper
TPS Blocker
Hackva Helmet
Vaughn Pants
Brown C/A
RBK sticks
assortment of jerseys and other minor gear....

#28 ultrapail

ultrapail

NetMinder

• Gold Booster
  • 319 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:41 PM

as a goalie:
RBK pads
CCM chest protector
CCM skates
RBK glove and blocker
Itech mask
CCM neck guard
RBK stick

RBK rules

and byt the way RBK bought out KOHO not Jofa

#29 GVSUhockey

GVSUhockey

Prospect

• 34 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE(BlakChamber @ July 14, 2007 - 09:16PM) View Post

I tend to wear whatever is on sale. Give the choice, I like the Bauer products, but I'm not picky.

For those who have used them, how are the Warrior sticks? When I played lacrosse, I used a lot of Warrior gear and really liked it.

ive got a couple of the warrior sticks and i love them....had no problems with them, and i have broken synergy after synergy so made the switch, and i dont think ill be goin back to anything else anytime soon

#30 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE(ultrapail @ July 14, 2007 - 07:41PM) View Post

and byt the way RBK bought out KOHO not Jofa

RBK actually bought out The Hockey Company, which was CCM, Jofa, Koho and Heaton. (They had already retired the Titan and Canadien stick brands which they also owned.)

#31 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:31 PM

QUOTE(GVSUhockey @ July 14, 2007 - 08:13PM) View Post

ive got a couple of the warrior sticks and i love them....had no problems with them, and i have broken synergy after synergy so made the switch, and i dont think ill be goin back to anything else anytime soon

Thanks. And good to see another Laker thumbup.gif

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#32 kozac

kozac

another soft russian

• PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:46 PM

I like Jofa stuff. Had the helmet, shin pads, elbow and shoulder pads for 3 years now, still look and feel good.
Gloves: Muskoka ZR90 (hard to find and REALLY nice)
Stick: RBK 6k with Datsyuk curve (which is actually Jofa)
Pants: some Eastons
Skates: Vapor 15's (probably gonna get the 30's next)

Jofa used to make good stuff, now i guess its RBK

#33 wingsnut25

wingsnut25

Rookie

• Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:42 PM

Goalie:

Helmet: I have an Itech Helmet its about 10 years old now, it has definitely held up for the 10 years that I have had it, I have been looking at some new ones, I have been eyeing an Ollie helmet, I have a big head, and heard there masks are very roomie.

Legs/Blocker/Glove TThey are Heaton Helite Z 2 I got an awesome deal on them from Peranis, I really like them, even though they were considered a cheaper pad. I have had no durability or performance problems with them. I play with some people who have really hard shots, rarely get a stinger in the glove.

Chest/Arms Buar Pro Chest, I bought it two years ago, and it had sat around Peranis for a while when I bought it, so again got a steal on it. By a steal I mean $200 but the original tag was $400

Pants Itech 4.8 these were the middle level pants, tried them on side by side with the 9.8s (the pro modell) and preffered the feel of the 4.8

Stick Itech , dont remember the exact model. I used to love the Heaton Helite IV Goal S icks, but cant find them anymore...

Skates: Baur Reactor 3000, I am really happy with them, they are much more comfortable then my CCM goal skates,

Sorry for the type's I am on a laptop that randomly moves the cursor, I have not got the problem corrected yet, so sometimes it moves the cursor when im typing, and I dont always catch it in time...

#34 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:46 PM

I hate everything Easton makes. Stick I love the Warrior/innovative.
Jofa for shins elbows, RBK helmet, and whatever gloves you like man.

Skates are the hardest, because they have different foot templetes so you have to find the ones that fit the best. sry.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#35 MonkeyGoalie

MonkeyGoalie

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:51 PM

I've got Vaughn for most of my goalie equipment. CCM skates and helmet (I wear a regular helmet with a cat-eye cage). And my stick is anyone that I fell comfortable hold with being 6'4".

#36 maltbyrocks18

maltbyrocks18

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:53 PM

does anyone know a really durable wood brand?? ive been searching for a good brand to last for a while and havent had much luck. i like sherwoods for their price but being a defensemen i find them spliting in half with shots from the blue line left and right. I just bought an easton classic and im going to give them a whirl. but anyway, does anyone know of a good durable brand of wood stick?
respect all, but fear none.

#37 BringHomeTheCup!

BringHomeTheCup!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:27 AM

QUOTE(maltbyrocks18 @ July 15, 2007 - 12:53AM) View Post

does anyone know a really durable wood brand?? ive been searching for a good brand to last for a while and havent had much luck. i like sherwoods for their price but being a defensemen i find them spliting in half with shots from the blue line left and right. I just bought an easton classic and im going to give them a whirl. but anyway, does anyone know of a good durable brand of wood stick?

Wood? They still make those? Try using a two-piece with a grapite blade. The TPS Rubber shafts are just about unbreakable. They are awesome.

If you really want to use a wood stick, that doesn't weigh 10 pounds, Montreal's are nice.

#38 BeeRYCE

BeeRYCE

Where are the f'n twinkies?!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:18 AM

I have a question, do they sell RBK 9KO sticks in the states? (Datsyuk's stick with holes in it).

#39 Defenseman13

Defenseman13

4th Line Grinder

• Bronze Booster
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE(DetroitIan @ July 14, 2007 - 10:33AM) View Post

I played hockey for almost 4 years. And I for one have used PLENTY of different kinds of equipment. But honestly, I can say that out of everything I've used, the most reliable brand seams to be Bauer. CCM is also a reliable brand. Anyone have any preferences? Likes, or dislikes? What do YOU use?

I can't waer Bauer skates, my feet are too wide.

I go CCM all the way, have for 20 years.

QUOTE(BringHomeTheCup! @ July 14, 2007 - 10:27PM) View Post

Wood? They still make those? Try using a two-piece with a grapite blade. The TPS Rubber shafts are just about unbreakable. They are awesome.

If you really want to use a wood stick, that doesn't weigh 10 pounds, Montreal's are nice.

I love using wood sticks. The other guys with composite always seemed to break theirs before mine.
IPB Image

#40 rosincula

rosincula

Prospect

• 46 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 01:37 PM

I'm a goalie.

My favorite sticks are the Sherwood kevlars. Very lightweight, and they have a great curve if you like to play the puck.

My pads are Louisville TPS, and I got those instead of Vaughns. I don't really like the way that Vaughn pads sit when you're in butterfly. I think I much prefer my old Brian's that I had when I was younger though.

My trapper and blocker are Vaughn.

Most of my equipment is based on lack of expenses. I'll use a stick until it's completely splintered and unable to be taped back into shape. Heh.

Oh, and for skates, nothing but Bauer.