• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest jaytan

What's your favorite Red Wings memory?

Rate this topic

Everyone's going to mention the cups. My favourite were 1997, 2002, and 1998 in that order.

Aside from the cups, it's the brawl at the Joe. I was fortunate to watch that game, and just remember how amazed I was.

Man, there are just too many moments for me. It goes all the way back to when we played Edmonton in round one in 1988 ( I think that was the year), but we were seriously out matched and we won game 4 at home and I remeber the chants of one more game and Saturday Night. Stevie Ys goal in double ot, Macs goal in Game 4 in 1997, Langs goal in SJ game 4 this year, fight game in 1997 vs Colorado, the Cup in 1998 with Vlady, To pick one is impossible, being a Wings fan, PRICELESS!!! If I can tell you all anything get the Wings DVD, it is awesome, lots of history and GREAT MOMENTS!! :thumbup:

For some reason, game two of the 1998 SCF gets buried amongst other Wings moments. IMO it was one of the best.

See here:

Of course the most important thing the hockey world gained from this game was a certain Native American phrase:

Here are my favourite Wings Memories (no order):

- D-Mac pounding a turtling Cluade Lemiuex

- Stevies double OT goal

- Everything from the Rivalry, lol

- Stevie raising the cup for the first time

- Konstantinov's knee/neck shattering hit on Claude Lemiuex (IMO, the greatest hit ever in the NHL)

Ahhhhh.........the good 'ol days :)

Staying up late to watch Stevie Y's 2OT goal. Until then, the Wings were just another sports team I supported due to proximity. That moment cemented Red Wings Hockey as the sport and team I became most passionate about. The memory of the puck sailing past Casey replays itself in my head more vividly than any other hockey memory.

I'd have to agree with what was said about the 98 championship. I can't even express how I felt after the accident in 97. Here we just got passed the highlight of my life as a Wings fan and then this happens. To see them turn right around and win again was pretty spectacular.

Having said all that, McCarty paying back Clod, Shanny clotheslining Wah, and The Professor giving Floppa the "nugies of death" has to be THE winner. I think it is quickly forgotten that Mac got the GWG in that one too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pab978XyR3E

Edited by A.T.Hun

Guest DetroitIan

Speaking of great memories. This is probably my favorite Yzerman tribute video. To this day its hard for me to watch all the way through without somewhat tearing up. Steve will definitely be missed forever. Cant wait to see him behind the Wings bench someday.

:clap::clap::clap:

There have been so many in recent years, but my favorite would have to be March 26, 1997. While Mccarty/Lemieux , Vernon/Roy, and the other fights were the main event, An overtime goal by Mccarty for the win topped the night off.

Mccarty's game 4 winning goal and Yzerman lifting the cup for the first time are other memories i'll never forget.

Yeah, that's my favorite memory also. I remember watching that game at a friend's house hoping and praying that the wings would finally be able to beat the avs and to get revenge for the Draper hit. I was sitting on the couch and I was so wound up that my body was involuntarily twitching. It was like I was shivering but I wasn't cold. I haven't had that feeling since then but I came close this year in the Calgary series when the Flames started their "goonism". I was able to control it this time though. I honestly thought I might have a heart attack or something that night. It was bizzarre.

In terms of the Red Wing memory that I remember the most vividly and probably always will, it would have to be the game against the Preds when Fischer had his problems. That night is etched in my memory and always will be.

Winning the first of the three Cup's in 1997 was obviously my favorite. I remember watching the final game, and it was just amazing. I was 13 years old at the time, and was watching the game with the rest of my family. We all went crazy (in a good way) after they won, much as everyone else did. It was a hell of a run.

My other favorites: Seeing Vladdy lift the Cup in 1998, the brawl, and Yzermans double OT goal in 1996. At the time of the ladder, we were still rivals with St. Louis. It felt good to put those smug bastards in their place, even though we didn't end up going as far as hoped by losing to Colorado.

Another personal favorite was Dan Cloutiers blunder in 2002 against Vancouver. That totally turned everything around for us, since before that happened, things were looking pretty bleak.

I'll post some more stuff later. I have a lot of favorite memories that take time to think about.

Edited by Kp-Wings

Going to my first game 23 years ago... First time parting the red curtains entering into the arena with my dad... I will never forget that night!

that gets me so excited with every game i go to.

nothing like movin those red curtains and seeing the stands of red and white and the sights and sounds of catching a Wings game!

favorite memory:

red wings winning the stanley cup in 97, on my birthday.

what a treat!

my mom was going crazy.

all i heard were gun shots and car horns outside haha

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Here's mine:

A close runner-up is McCarty's goal in '97 that gave us the first Cup of my life.

Without a doubt the 7-6 overtime, "PAYBACK" game.

Game was at home in front of a crazy crowd

Hype had been brewing for over a year

Fights were all over the ice and I don't even have to get into what some of those fights meant as far as team unity and repaying LePuke.

13 friggin goals

Having to come from behind

The refs lettin' the boys play and lettin' the goalies stay in the game

The hitting

And McCarty of all people scoring the winner in OT.

By far the greatest game i've ever seen and probably ever will see.

The Cup in 97 for sure. For so long I thought they'd never win one. That I'd never get to see Stevie holding it over his head as he skated around the ice. Amazing.

Second to that is from when I was probably at my most obsessed as a Wings fan, when they were just turning it around from being the Dead Wings.

In 1987 they were losing to Toronto 3 games to 1. Everyone was happy the Wing didn't suck anymore, but was also sad their playoff run was about to be over. They managed to come back and win three straight games to make it to the Conference finals against Edmonton. Back then it was like winning the Cup for me.

They were subsequently crushed by the Cup winning Edmonton Oilers, but it was still a great run and great comeback against their arch rival Toronto.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

I'd be into the Divealanche comeback group. that Game 7 with the score 7-0 was something. back then there was no video streaming over internet to allow PPL deep in Europe like me to watch the games live, so I had to listen to the 1270 radio (no reasons to complain, though).

now imagine a guy in a Wings jersey listening to the broadcast at some 3 AM locat time, trying not to scream his ass out (and wake up the entire family) after hearing those four 1st period goals... go figure :) then Patty Wah chased out of the net and Ken Daniels talking of him possibly being chased out of town, by the very Wings again :)

marvelous moment