• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest DetroitIan

The ESPY's

Rate this topic

I watched a replay of the show today and there was no mention of the NHL in any of the categories besides Sid the Kid winning the Best Hockey Player and Wayne presenting. They didn't show a single clip of hockey in any of there montage highlights... they showed women's basketball (NCAA & WNBA), PGA (Golf) and Formula One Racing, but not a single clip of hockey. None. ESPN needs to get their heads out of their asses and give us a little NHL love.

Fox Sports does need to challenge them somehow... that or we need to get TSN on DirecTV somehow.

CORRECTION: There was a brief moment when they showed Scott Neidermayer lifting the Cup in the open... blink and you missed it.

Edited by scotzman

And it’s happened once again, for the zillionth time. I seriously get a kick out of the ***** fest that always results from a large contingency of members in here whenever ESPN is even mentioned. And I’m no ESPN yuppie, I’m not an ESPN representative, etc. but the ripping the network gets is pretty sad sometimes, almost as bad as Robert Lang or Chris Osgood or Mikael Samuelsson or Andres Lilja or Dominik Hasek or *insert bi-weekly scapegoat player* over-dramatizations.

Just because a lot of the general public or U.S. mainstream audience doesn’t really watch hockey that much, doesn’t mean that ESPN has to show it all the time or know the life biographies of all the players or coaches. ESPN just shows what the MAJORITY OF PEOPLE IN THE UNITED STATES WANT TO SEE.

And, as tough as a pill it is to swallow (/sarcasm), a lot of people don’t watch hockey first. That’s the reality of the situation. Not because they have a giant vendetta against the sport, they just don’t watch it as a first preference in sport viewing. ACCEPT THAT.

Again, it isn’t ESPN’s fault that the majority just doesn’t decide to watch hockey all the time. Blame the general public, not ESPN.

We all like the NHL, we all like hockey, we all are going to watch it no matter what station(s) it comes or doesn't come on, so get let's all just get over it.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Guest DetroitIan

ESPN had a great show called "Playmakers" which centered around a pro football team and all the issues the players were involved with:

- infidelity

- drug use

- *** player

- competition in the locker room

I believe when they made this show, they interviewed and worked with some former NFL players to make it authentic. A lot of guys said the show was very, very close to how things were in real life.

The NFL detested how their league was shown in a sometimes negative light so they told ESPN to either cancel the show or ABC/ESPN would not get rights to games in the future. Bye-Bye "Playmakers".

That show was so sweet. I never missed an episode! I was really pissed off when I heard about that whole BS with the NFL getting all upset over the show. Rediculous. I guaruntee that show would still be going on. It was really entertaining. Another network really should pick that show up. And start making some new ones. I'de watch again. :D

Edited by DetroitIan

That show was so sweet. I never missed an episode! I was really pissed off when I heard about that whole BS with the NFL getting all upset over the show. Rediculous. I guaruntee that show would still be going on. It was really entertaining. Another network really should pick that show up. And start making some new ones. I'de watch again. :D

I just find it hilarious how upset the NFL got with the negative stereotypes Playmakers revealed. They get it off the air, but yet every week you read about an NFL player getting arrested for something or other. Right now, I beleive half the Bengals are in jail or waiting for trial.

Heck, if you're a big NFL fan and you're desperate to see your favourite NFL stars during the offseason just tune into Court TV.

No...I'm pretty sure it's more than just a sound buisness decision.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19734725/site/newsweek

:clap::clap:

Nailed it...

Just because a lot of the general public or U.S. mainstream audience doesn’t really watch hockey that much, doesn’t mean that ESPN has to show it all the time or know the life biographies of all the players or coaches. ESPN just shows what the MAJORITY OF PEOPLE IN THE UNITED STATES WANT TO SEE.

And, as tough as a pill it is to swallow (/sarcasm), a lot of people don’t watch hockey first. That’s the reality of the situation. Not because they have a giant vendetta against the sport, they just don’t watch it as a first preference in sport viewing. ACCEPT THAT.

They are however turning out by the millions for some NCAA Women's Basketball, the WNBA and MLS. ESPN gives more coverage to those sports than the NHL. Oh and they just so happen to broadcast games from all of them (ABC/ESPN).

ACCEPT THAT.

Poker wasn't a huge "sport" when espn picked it up, are you telling me that the arena football league is bigger than hockey, or that the WNBA draws more of an audience than NHL. ESPN covers what they show on their network. That is it, once in a while they show a championship highlight or an impressive individual effort, but very rarely do they cover in depth a sport that is not shown on their network.

I am not a huge fan of ESPN but other than local sport networks I have no real choice but to watch Sports Center for highlights.

I would love it if Fox or MSNBC got into this arena.

Guest DetroitIan

I just find it hilarious how upset the NFL got with the negative stereotypes Playmakers revealed. They get it off the air, but yet every week you read about an NFL player getting arrested for something or other. Right now, I beleive half the Bengals are in jail or waiting for trial.

Heck, if you're a big NFL fan and you're desperate to see your favourite NFL stars during the offseason just tune into Court TV.

My thoughts exactly! Litterally 9 different Bengals have been arrested during the past year. Completely laughable for the NFL to totally condem Playmakers. When basically that IS the reality of the NFL. Pathetic. :thumbdown: