• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hank

T.R. Goodman

Rate this topic

T.R. Goodman is the famous trainer who trains several NHL, MLB and NBA players in their off-season. He's the guy that's been working with Chelios for the past 12 years.

Anyway, he was on XM204 a couple of weeks ago and it was pretty interesting stuff. He went through what he does different than most fitness experts, but the more interesting stuff was of him talking about how he pairs up the proper personalities to avoid conflict. He learned that the hard way when one year he had Chelios and Rick Tocchet as partners. What ensued was an hour each day of these two guys swearing and yelling at one another while they both tried to top each others results. TR said it was all in good, competitive fun, but that both of them were very, very competitive and motivated so they always wanted to win.

Other stories included how when he first began to work with Chelios they had initially decided to start at 7:00 am every morning. But then the first morning Chris was there earlier than T.R. So T.R figured that Chris wanted to start a bit earlier so he'd come in at 6:45. But the next morning, Chris would be there at 6:40, and so-on and so-on. Eventually, T.R. asked what the heck was going on? Did he want to start earlier? But Chris replied that he just hated it when T.R. beat him to the gym. So eventually they decided to start at 6:00 AM sharp and who cares who got there earlier.

Apparently, T.R. is very strict about his start times. If you're late, you're out.

Bryan McCabe threw-up minutes into his first workout. I thought this was ironic justice seeing as how watching McCabe makes me want to vomit.

He's worked with Sidney Crosby since he was 14. The first summer he worked with him, he said the kid oozed professionalism and maturity far beyond his years. At 14-years-old, he said Crosby would ask questions, soak up any information he could, and work harder than any kid he'd ever seen. T.R. went on and on about how Crosby is truly a phenom that only comes around once every few generations. He said it was a pleasure working with him and can't wait to see how his career unfolds.

At the very end, he heaped praise on NHL players. Having worked with 3 of the 4 major sports he said that NHLers are easily the best to work with. He said they always come to work and never complain, carry any baggage or ego and are always friendly. What was funny is that when he was saying that, he caught himself comparing them to another sport. He said "they don't have any ego like the guys in ML..." but then stopped himself. You could tell he wanted to say MLB.

I've heard this said about NHLers from a lot of journalists. One guy from S.I. (I can't remember his name now) was on 1130 WDFN and he said the same thing. He said that NBA and NFL players are so full of themselves it's hard to be around them. He said that the only NHLer that he considered conceded was Pat Roy. But even then, it wasn't even close to the average NBA player.

After talking about how humble and genuine the NHL guys were T.R. commented that it's for this reason he wished the NHL were more popular in the US. He said if the average fan could see the hard work, dedication and heart these guys put in, while having no ego involved, they would become instant role models in the US.

It was a very cool interview. I thought I'd share it for anyone else that's interested in this sort of thing.

Edited by Hank

Good stuff!

If only Bettman knew how to market this amazing game... we can only dream about it. Hockey is just one of those sports that once you have a real taste of it, you can't ever get it out of your system. Most of that has to do with the players. Having grown up watching Steve Yzerman made me a fan for life.

That's the exact reason WHY the NHL isn't as popular as it should be; as an American I can honestly say the hype, ego-mania, & BS that permeates the "other" pro leagues helps create their popularity.

Unfortunately many here in the USA don't realise hockey players (off the ice mind you) are some of the most humble, sincere, & classy guys around...Other pro leagues could take a lesson from the NHL - however they have their "image" to uphold :rolleyes:

Totally agree. If Crosby, Thornton and Jagr had personalities like T.O, Kobe and Bonds, the NHL would probably get a lot more publicity.

The fact that Crosby took a paycut to help his team and show leadership tells you how different he is from the average NFL egomaniac. The kids not even 20 and he could have demanded the highest sum in league history. That's exactly what T.O. would have done. But Crosby would rather set an example for his teammates and remain in a city he believes he can retire in and win Cups with. Guys like T.O. would sacrifice championships for money, fame and stats.

It would take him .02 seconds to answer "money" when asked which he'd rather have.

Guest nutz2u

I read somewhere that Huddles is suppose to work with this guy over the summer.

I read somewhere that Huddles is suppose to work with this guy over the summer.

I remember this too...I think it was in an article just after he re-signed, Holland said that he needed to get his conditioning up if he wanted to stick with the team...I wish I could meet this guy, I'm woefully out of shape :(

I remember this too...I think it was in an article just after he re-signed, Holland said that he needed to get his conditioning up if he wanted to stick with the team...I wish I could meet this guy, I'm woefully out of shape :(

Be careful what you ask for. ;)

From the interview, he splits up the summer workout into 3 semesters. The first is to rebuild the muscles that have been worn out during the long NHL season. I can't remember what the 2nd one was, but the last semester is pure torture. It's a 1-hour circuit where you don't stop to rest. You move from one station to the next and T.R. gets on your ass if you dog it or try to cheat.

I've seen what Chelios looks like afterwards. You would think he had a 10 gallon bucket of water poured on him and he seems to have aged 1000 years.

They workout 6 days a week for only 1 hour a day, but everyone that's worked out with T.R. says that you need a full day to recover from his workouts.

T.R. said the simplicity and beauty of his regimen is that he has you using muscles that you don't use during the season. He said this helps heal those muscles while strengthening the ones that work around them and with them.

So during the season, you only need to maintain what you've accomplished during the summer. Chelios has said numerous times that he wouldn't be playing today if he hadn't found T.R. Goodman.

P.S. Kind of off topic but Alexandre Daigle was supposed to work out with T.R. the summer after he was dealt to the Flyers. If you recall, in the last 20 games of the season he put up 17 points and a lot of people thought that it was a sign of Daigle finally breaking out. So to build on that impressive finish the team asked him to go to LA to work with the legendary trainer. Daigle agreed but upon the advice of fellow NHLers who've done the program they said to head out 2 weeks before the training began to rest up and enjoy some time off before the hell began.

So Daigle went out 2 weeks earlier and in that time he bumped into Pamela Anderson. She knew exactly who he was (being Canadian and a hockey fan) and the two "hooked up". Daigle became so smitten with her that he brushed off training and partied with her and her Hollywood friends the entire summer.

When Daigle got back for training camp, the Flyers were very disappointed with how out of shape he was. But his teammates weren't that bummed, as Daigle showed them candid photos of Pam in the buff after a night of 'holding each other'.

Pam even spoke about this on the Howard Stern show once. Only in her version she grew tired of Daigle and wanted him to leave her alone a lot sooner than he wanted. She made it sound like she was only interested in a one-night-stand but Daigle kept following her around like a puppy dog.

Daigle eventually used his new LA contacts and set up business dealing with the movie industry after his first retirement.

great article, Hank.. thanks for the report. If I had a son, I would want him to look up to NHL players as the epitome of what professional athletes should be, both as players and as men of good character. There's more talent and althletic prowess on any given NHL ice surface than on any other playing field in professional sports, IMO, and there's no thuggery. The exceptions to this "rule" are few and far between, for which I am thankful.

I'd love to see T.O. last even one shift as a defenseman. Goalie would be even funnier. :hehe:

I am looking forward to Hudler having a breakout year, and I am proud of him for dedicating himself to getting there. Go for it, Jiri!! :thumbup:

great article, Hank.. thanks for the report. If I had a son, I would want him to look up to NHL players as the epitome of what professional athletes should be, both as players and as men of good character. There's more talent and althletic prowess on any given NHL ice surface than on any other playing field in professional sports, IMO, and there's no thuggery. The exceptions to this "rule" are few and far between, for which I am thankful.

I'd love to see T.O. last even one shift as a defenseman. Goalie would be even funnier. :hehe:

I am looking forward to Hudler having a breakout year, and I am proud of him for dedicating himself to getting there. Go for it, Jiri!! :thumbup:

That's the difference between hockey and other pro sports. In hockey, you're held accountable for your actions. Want to hotdog? You're going to get a mouth full of lumber or knuckles for your trouble.

T.O. (Terrel Owens) can act like an idiot because he knows the NFL will suspend anyone that even tries to get physical after a play. Can you imagine what a guy like Brendan Shanahan or Chris Neil would do to T.O. if he started acting cocky after scoring a goal or deking out a defensman? He'd get a bag full of knuckles for his efforts. T.O. wouldn't last 2 shifts in the NHL.

By its very nature Hockey doesn't allow for these types of personalities.

Because the nfl has gone out of its way to protect Wide Receivers and Quarterbacks. You hit one of them too high or too low and you are in deep trouble.

In hockey celebrations are usually based on a team celebrating together, circling up and giving high fives and hugs or slapping gloves as you skate by the bench. Football it is about look at me, watch what I can do, put me on sports center.

In Hockey you show some one up like that and you will get a great big cup of shut your friggin' pie hole!!!

Edited by Opie

I am intrigued by TR's workouts. I would actually like to experience one. ( I know if I ever got the chance to, I would regret it :) ) But honestly, as long as the NHL doesnt completely fold due to lack of popularity, I am fine without hearing about NHL on sportscenter everyday like the NFL and MLB.

The funny things is that half of the cincinnati Bengals defense was arrested last year, Pacman Jones, Michael Vick, all in trouble with the law. NBA-Steven Jackson, Ron Artest, on and on are in trouble. Yet no one is bad mouthing the league because of these guys, YET one hockey player takes an ill advised swing at another and Hockey players are goons.

Well how about the athletes in other sports shooting guns outside of strip clubs, that doesn't make everyone else in the league goons.

I think the real reason Americans have a hard time accepting hockey is that it is Canadian. Americans (I am born in raised in America) look down on Canada like it is our little brother. So therefore anything that little bro does, no matter how good, will some how always be lesser.

The funny things is that half of the cincinnati Bengals defense was arrested last year, Pacman Jones, Michael Vick, all in trouble with the law. NBA-Steven Jackson, Ron Artest, on and on are in trouble. Yet no one is bad mouthing the league because of these guys, YET one hockey player takes an ill advised swing at another and Hockey players are goons.

Well how about the athletes in other sports shooting guns outside of strip clubs, that doesn't make everyone else in the league goons.

I think the real reason Americans have a hard time accepting hockey is that it is Canadian. Americans (I am born in raised in America) look down on Canada like it is our little brother. So therefore anything that little bro does, no matter how good, will some how always be lesser.

I am American, born in a state where hockey doesn't exist (Kentucky) and live in one where it's a step-child at best. I think I love hockey because it's international, and that includes Canada by definition. I would never look down on Canada, I love Canada! Especially the Canadian men I know, who are all funny and clever. :blush: Not that the American men aren't, of course - but I digress...

Opie, you're so dead-on abou the NFL and the way the media panders to those thugs and posers. It seems to be accepted that NFL, and to a slightly lesser extent NBA, players should somehow be lauded and admired for their criminal activities. They should be fired and then forced to perform community service to tell kids that what they do and how they live is NOT the way decent people should model their lives.

NHLers just quietly go about their business being great dads and community activists and charity role models.... and as Opie says, get tarred with the stupid notion that hockey is "violent" and savage. It's so far from that, I guess people just don't get it in this country. Sorry to say that. I love our exclusive club and am proud to be a fan, but I wish more people "got" it, since acceptance = money = security and growth.

I'd also be intrigued to be involved in one of T.R.'s workout, but am quite certain I would not survive it! :lol: