• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GoCryWolfe

Derek Boogard Fight School

Rate this topic

IPB Image

Boogard Fight School

I read this over at Kuklas Korner, and its linked all over canadian sites, but apparently Derek Boogard is running what is being called a Fight School for kids aged 12-18, charging $50 a kid. They also get a shirt with blood-red dye!

Apparently this is in its' second year....

Willie Mitchell, ex-teammate of Boogard is quoted as saying "it has no place in hockey." And rightfully so. I used to want Boogard on the team.... he's one of those players you love to have on your team vs. playing against him, cuz he is such a physical threat. Granted, he fights, but he also can check like none other. But to be running a fight school, I have totally lost respect for this guy.

Apparently the NHL doesn't care too much about its' image either...

Thoughts?

a fight school isnt as bad as it sounds. When i was about 15, i started taking boxing classes for that very reason. However i knew the difference between appropriate times to fight and when youre just being a goon. A lot of kids dont know the difference.

Guest jaytan

:lol:

That's so awesome! Has anybody else done this before? I think it's an excellent idea, and we should probably send our entire team and all of our prospects there (even though a few of them might get beaten up by 12-year-olds).

a fight school isnt as bad as it sounds. When i was about 15, i started taking boxing classes for that very reason. However i knew the difference between appropriate times to fight and when youre just being a goon. A lot of kids dont know the difference.

Exactly. First, people cry because there aren't enough fights/fighters on the Red Wings team..Then they get angry that there's a fight school. Are they outraged over boxing/martial arts lessons too? Fighting is a part of the game, people WILL fight in hockey- just ike they will throw huge hits. Should we frown upon checking clinics too?

Exactly. First, people cry because there aren't enough fights/fighters on the Red Wings team..Then they get angry that there's a fight school. Are they outraged over boxing/martial arts lessons too? Fighting is a part of the game, people WILL fight in hockey- just ike they will throw huge hits. Should we frown upon checking clinics too?

When a fight ends someones career, that is taking it too far. When we have professional hockey players training with professional BOXERS, that is taking it way too far. There is a line, and it has been crossed.

When a fight ends someones career, that is taking it too far. When we have professional hockey players training with professional BOXERS, that is taking it way too far. There is a line, and it has been crossed.

A hockey fight and a boxing match are two COMPLETELY different things.. and Ive yet to see a hockey fight end a career but I konw a few boxing careers have been ended by fight..

Exactly how ignorant to hockey are you who claim "this is such a travesty". Is this really the first you have heard of fight schools? If so that explains a lot of your views on hockey in general. Fight school for youngsters are common all throughout Ontario and the rest of Canada, when kids 15-16 get signed (especially thos coming from the states) in the OHL where do you think they go? You got it right to a fight camp, Adam Abraham, a buddy of mine from the Detroit area got signed to a 1 yr deal with the Mississauga Ice Dogs a couple years back and coming from AAA here in the states what was the first thing they did with him, yup sent him to fight school for a weekend up in Toronto. Pure ignorance to say this teaches goonery blah blah, it teached these kids how to protect themselves so they don't get seriously hurt. The new age NHL fan is as bad as the new NHL.

"A hockey fight and a boxing match are two COMPLETELY different things.. and Ive yet to see a hockey fight end a career but I konw a few boxing careers have been ended by fight.. "

Wow another Hockey scholor, wait does Nick Kypreos ring a bell moron

"When a fight ends someones career, that is taking it too far. When we have professional hockey players training with professional BOXERS, that is taking it way too far. There is a line, and it has been crossed."

Who exactly are you to say what crosses the line? Until it is you who is expected to square up with an opposing player who is 6'2 220 with 90 career NHL fights I dont think you have much of a right to speak on anything whatsoever being acceptable or not.

"we need more fight in the NHL if you ask me, it's gotten week"

I agree, and you know what else more fights would do, decrease incidents such as the Torres on Williams hit, Drake on Lebda, Mitchell on Franzen, etc etc. Any of the countless times opposition takes free shots at our guys knowing that their will be NO ONE to answer to.

Not really, he said that a hockey fight hasnt ended careers and he was wrong so I called him on it. I am not syaing I know everyhting about hockey but what I do know is that I will not comment on something if I am not knowlegable on it, I might ask a question but not make a statement, that is something a lot of others should try to do more of here. I mean the anti fighting sentiment here is sickening, i would love for someone to name 1 great team that did not have an enforcer whatsoever protecting their skill guys. 1 great team thats all i ask. Guess what you cant, and no matter how much ppl here hide from the fact that fighting is part of the game, and regardless of the instigator rule is going to remain part of the game posts such as "Why would we eat up a roster spot with a tough guy, he cant score". Well i guess its the same reason you have a backup goalie who doesnt play even a minute most nights, they are both there in case something unforseen/negative happens and they both have vital roles for their squad. 1 Great team without an enforcer please, actually scratch that, 1 stanley cup winning team without an enforcer. SHIP IT PLEASE

Edited by sticknmove

Why is this a big deal?

I like the idea personally, since it teaches kids how to fight without hurting themselves. Besides that, over half of the NHL has gone pillow soft over the years. It's nice to see some people who still play the older (and much more entertaining) brand of hockey that Bettman is trying to destroy.

Also: I think someone should tell Willie Mitchell to shut the f*ck up. That man is one of the biggest cheapshot artists in the league. The only reason he complains about fighting is because he can't do it himself. Any time he has actually fought himself he usually loses.

By the way, is it out of the question that we send Kopecky there?

Edited by Kp-Wings

You lost respect because he is running a fight school? When I was 13 our coach hooked us up with 2 years of off ice boxing lessons, I WISH we could have went to the Boogaard fight school lol

Exactly how ignorant to hockey are you who claim "this is such a travesty". Is this really the first you have heard of fight schools? If so that explains a lot of your views on hockey in general. Fight school for youngsters are common all throughout Ontario and the rest of Canada, when kids 15-16 get signed (especially thos coming from the states) in the OHL where do you think they go? You got it right to a fight camp, Adam Abraham, a buddy of mine from the Detroit area got signed to a 1 yr deal with the Mississauga Ice Dogs a couple years back and coming from AAA here in the states what was the first thing they did with him, yup sent him to fight school for a weekend up in Toronto. Pure ignorance to say this teaches goonery blah blah, it teached these kids how to protect themselves so they don't get seriously hurt. The new age NHL fan is as bad as the new NHL.

"A hockey fight and a boxing match are two COMPLETELY different things.. and Ive yet to see a hockey fight end a career but I konw a few boxing careers have been ended by fight.. "

Wow another Hockey scholor, wait does Nick Kypreos ring a bell moron

"When a fight ends someones career, that is taking it too far. When we have professional hockey players training with professional BOXERS, that is taking it way too far. There is a line, and it has been crossed."

Who exactly are you to say what crosses the line? Until it is you who is expected to square up with an opposing player who is 6'2 220 with 90 career NHL fights I dont think you have much of a right to speak on anything whatsoever being acceptable or not.

"we need more fight in the NHL if you ask me, it's gotten week"

I agree, and you know what else more fights would do, decrease incidents such as the Torres on Williams hit, Drake on Lebda, Mitchell on Franzen, etc etc. Any of the countless times opposition takes free shots at our guys knowing that their will be NO ONE to answer to.

You speak truth, my brother!

If you don't like the idea that's fine I guess, but why be mad at Boogard? Shouldn't you be mad at the parents who send their kids there? When I played competitively at around 14 our coach taught us some different ways to go about it, and things you could do depending on the size of the person you were fighting. Really that's all that is nessicary. I mean really, either you are willing and can actually fight, or your not. But either way it's good to know how not to get your head knocked off. Now, having your coach send you to boxing school is a bit silly IMO. I'd think if any outside thing should be introduced outside of practice maybe skateing, stickhandling, shooting, and even checking clinics would go alot farther to improve a young hockey players game. I'd laugh in the coaches face if he tried sending my kid to "boxing" school on my dime. Fighting will always have it's place in the game, granted now days a diminished place, but it'll be there from youth to beer leauges, to the pros.

It has? Did I miss something here? This is nothing new and I don't see anything wrong with it. I guess you could blame the parents for sending their kids there if your looking for someone to blame.

Guest DetroitIan

That is so sweet. I had no idea anything like that even existed. Perfect guy to host it though. Boogaard is a BEAST! We definitely have several Red Wings that could use a lesson or two from Boogaard. Thats hilarious seeing those little kids trying to fight. Hahaha. Expecially funny seeing those big ass yellow boxing gloves. lol!