• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Lovin Jiri Fischer

America's Hockey Team

Rate this topic

First off, try 18 years. Not 10.

I wasn't aware Detroit won a cup back in 1989. Wait...they didn't.

And Im not saying all American's are bandwagoners. And OF COURSE not every single American loves the Wings. But its a FACT that out of all the teams out there, the Red Wings are most liked.

They are also the most hated. So take that for what it is worth.

Look at the beginning of the topic smart guy. There has been SEVERAL national polls throughout the YEARS about this exact subject. And what team is always getting the most % of fans around the country? The Detroit Red Wings. Its a fact buddy. We're not just talking out of our asses(unlike certain blues fans). Most Americans are not even die-hard hockey fans. So of course alot of them are gonna cheer for a great traditional and winning club. I can understand you being bitter. Considering the blues are a f*cking joke. But you really cant deny reality pal. Well, I guess you can. But its called being delusional. :lol:

I really don't give a rat's ass how good a team has been or how many people like them or what poll says what...my point has nothing to do with any of that.

Once again...you are obviously not understanding what I am getting at, so I'll say it again just for you... It's assinine and arrogant for a team that represents a singular city or state to be labled, "America's Team".

Tthe Red Wings are not America's team...no NHL team is.

If people want to label a certain team, "America's Team", then it should be Team USA. Period.

And how are certain Blues fans, "talking out of their asses"? Where did that comment come from? I think certain Wings fans are taking some stupid, pointless poll and making it out to be more than it is and running with it.

Does the term, "unscientific" mean anything to you?

And just to clarify...I am not bitter at all. What do I have to be bitter about? I've enjoyed my team's colorful and rich history, even though it doesn't include a cup. I wouldn't trade those memories for anything. I couldn't be happier with my affiliation, which is why I run the website that I do. So the joke's on you...smart guy.

Guest DetroitIan

I wasn't aware Detroit won a cup back in 1989. Wait...they didn't.

I never said they did. I said our DOMINANCE start 18 years ago. The 1990 season was the start of a long era of fantastic Red Wings hockey.

Once again...you are obviously not understanding what I am getting at, so I'll say it again just for you... It's assinine and arrogant for a team that represents a singular city or state to be labled, "America's Team".

Tthe Red Wings are not America's team...no NHL team is.

If people want to label a certain team, "America's Team", then it should be Team USA. Period.

It's not like us Wings fans are declaring them as "America's Team." We're just going by facts, jersey sales, memorabilia sales, SEVERAL national polls, ect, ect. It's called reality buddy.

Does the term, "unscientific" mean anything to you?

Does the term, "delusional blues fan" mean anything to you?

And just to clarify...I am not bitter at all. What do I have to be bitter about? I've enjoyed my team's colorful and rich history, even though it doesn't include a cup. I wouldn't trade those memories for anything. I couldn't be happier with my affiliation, which is why I run the website that I do. So the joke's on you...smart guy.

HAHAHAAHA! Yeah the blues have such a strong and rich tradition. :lol::rolleyes: You're gonna downplay the Red Wings success over the past 18 years, then you have the nerve to act like the blues have been around for ages and have an awesome tradition. LOL Dude, welcome back to reality. Correct me if Im wrong, but havent the blues only been around since the 70s??? If you want to talk about teams that have a rich history, try talking about the Montreal Canadiens, the Toronto Maple Leafs, or the Detroit Red Wings. Not the ******* blues. So actually buddy, you just made yourself look like a fool. And the only joke out there is you and you're s***ty blues. :lol:

I was just in Uruguay about a month a go, and a guy that I met down there - never even been to the United States, never even seen a hockey game at any level - he knew who the Red Wings were and was able to describe their logo perfectly to me. It was the only team he knew.

That is EXACTLY what I am saying.

Detroit is not America's team in hockey...no NHL team is. Like someone just mentioned, Team USA is truly America's team. No team that represents a singular city or state should be discussed as America's Team. It's arrogant and stupid.

Winners attract attention...no doubt. But that doesn't qualify them to be "Amerca's Team". Why? Because they don't represent America. It qualifies them to be a playoff team with probably a lot of johnny come lately fairweather fans jumping on the bandwagon...that's all.

What's sad though, are the fans that wear the jersey of one of the best teams in the NHL, when they live half a country away from that city, weren't born there, and have never been there.

It's sad that some people have some pathetic apparent necessity to be associated with a winning team.

If you live in Detroit, near Detroit, have family in Detroit, vacation often in Detroit (why on earth...I dunno), or something like that...that's cool with me...root loud and cheer your team on, because you are linked with that team somehow...but latching on to a team just because they are good...I dunno...that screams lame and pathetic to me.

Why are people making such a huge deal of this. They arent talking about which team in the history of the sport is "Americas team." In this sense "Americas Team"="Americas Favorite National League/Assoc. Team." That team is the Red Wings, and the only teams who are probably even close are the Rags and the Bruins. This isnt about the Olympics. This is about the 4 major NL/As

One of the things you arent mentioning is that the majority of people who are bangwaggoners ARENT real hockey fans. Same goes with every sport. People who arent real fans of a sport dont want to go through the trouble of finding a team, figuring out who their players are, knowing how they play the game, etc. They want to be able to be a "fan" with minimal involvement. Thats why people like the Red Wings - they win, therefore they are talked about a lot. Their success brings coverage and fame. And people can get acquainted with the Red Wings a lot easier than they can with, say, the Atlanta Thrashers, whom nobody talks about. On top of that, people want to watch a team who they know will win. Who wants to root for a team thats going to lose in a sport they only half care about? Bottom line, those people who are bandwaggoners want to watch said team purely for entertainment purposes, and watching a team kick the crap out of the opponent rather than getting their asses beaten is simply more fun.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

I was just in Uruguay about a month a go, and a guy that I met down there - never even been to the United States, never even seen a hockey game at any level - he knew who the Red Wings were and was able to describe their logo perfectly to me. It was the only team he knew.

Why are people making such a huge deal of this. They arent talking about which team in the history of the sport is "Americas team." In this sense "Americas Team"="Americas Favorite National League/Assoc. Team." That team is the Red Wings, and the only teams who are probably even close are the Rags and the Bruins. This isnt about the Olympics. This is about the 4 major NL/As

One of the things you arent mentioning is that the majority of people who are bangwaggoners ARENT real hockey fans. Same goes with every sport. People who arent real fans of a sport dont want to go through the trouble of finding a team, figuring out who their players are, knowing how they play the game, etc. They want to be able to be a "fan" with minimal involvement. Thats why people like the Red Wings - they win, therefore they are talked about a lot. Their success brings coverage and fame. And people can get acquainted with the Red Wings a lot easier than they can with, say, the Atlanta Thrashers, whom nobody talks about. On top of that, people want to watch a team who they know will win. Who wants to root for a team thats going to lose in a sport they only half care about? Bottom line, those people who are bandwaggoners want to watch said team purely for entertainment purposes, and watching a team kick the crap out of the opponent rather than getting their asses beaten is simply more fun.

Best post on here. Finally someone gets it. :clap:

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

Pardon me all over the place. Just in my mind when I think of America's team I think of first the 1980 Olympic hockey team and then any other Olympic team representing the United States. I also think it's a misnomer to call any team representing a city or state, America's team. Sorry if I've offended anybody, try not to get your panties in a wad, that's just my opinion.

On another note, that blog also mentioned Notre Dame, which is not a pro team, but on second thought I guess people could argue it is.

I remember when they were touting the Dallas Cowboys as "America's Team". And all I could say was, "They ain't mine."

I think it's kinda silly. There isn't one team that everyone is going to like, I don't care what sport it is. You like who you like, and in my case there is only one team out of the bunch mentioned that I give a damn about, and that is my beloved Red Wings. I never liked the Yankees because I think they're a bunch of arrogant jerks. I don't watch football and I don't watch basketball, so there goes the other three. But my Wings??? That's another story.

And yet I know we're not universally loved. I've gotten dirty looks wearing a Wings shirt in Jersey, but I've also gotten smiles in San Francisco. And I just had a friend come back from Ireland and he saw a Wings hat there, and a couple of Tigers jerseys.

HAHAHAAHA! Yeah the blues have such a strong and rich tradition. :lol::rolleyes: You're gonna downplay the Red Wings success over the past 18 years, then you have the nerve to act like the blues have been around for ages and have an awesome tradition. LOL Dude, welcome back to reality. Correct me if Im wrong, but havent the blues only been around since the 70s??? If you want to talk about teams that have a rich history, try talking about the Montreal Canadiens, the Toronto Maple Leafs, or the Detroit Red Wings. Not the ******* blues. So actually buddy, you just made yourself look like a fool. And the only joke out there is you and you're s***ty blues. :lol:

Actually, the Blues had a stretch of making the playoffs for 20+ seasons I believe, despite not winning a Stanley Cup. They don't have the "tradition" of an Original-6 team, but that's still shows some good consistency and historic and "traditional" things to back up on, to a certain extent.

And for me personally, I could really care less if the Red Wings are America's team, if it is the Rangers, or if it is the District-5 Pee Wee hockey team. I like the Red Wings and that's what matters most.

The Cowboys were America's football team at the time when I went to college in the Dallas-Fort Worth area in the late 90s/early 00s. Good for them. Didn't really affect me one way or the other, I've always been a Saints fan for the most part, not much was going to change that.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan