• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Henkka

Griffins 2007-08

Rate this topic

So there has been some new signings. Center Randall Gelech and defenceman Garrett Stafford joined the team.

Forwards:

Matt Ellis

Mark Hartigan

Mark Cullen

Cory Emmerton

Carl Corazzini

Darren Helm

Evan McGrath

Ryan Oulahen

Randall Gelech

Johan Ryno (can return to Sweden)

Mattias Ritola (can return to Sweden)

Defencemen:

Kyle Quincey

Jakub Kindl

Jonathan Ericsson

Brad Ference

Grarrett Stafford

Derek Meech (un-signed RFA)

Goalies:

Jimmy Howard

Adam Berkhoel

The team is quite near set. Only if the swedish duo will return to Europe, then we'll need some forwards. Othervice the team is in quite good shape.

Ellis - Cullen - Hartigan

Helm - Emmerton - Corazzini

Oulahen - McGrath - Ryno

Ritola - Gelech - XXX

Quincey - Kindl

Ericsson - Ference

Meech - Stafford

Howard

Berkhoel

Edited by Henkka

Himelfarb signed a contract with Lausanne in Switzerland. He will not be on the Griffins next season, at least not at this point.

Just as well. A 5'9 center who can't put up points on a regular basis, nor is a physical player by any means, isn't much of a loss in my opinion.

Ok, Lets get Himelfarb off the list.

If somebody has some other nfo about some signings or some guy is totally missing from my list, please inform me. I'll keep this topic up during the whole season.

I think Ryno and Ritola would be better to stay, cause the offence is quite short without them. But I understand if they go back to Sweden for a year, and come back at next year.

Looking forward to seeing the Griffins here in Iowa when they whoop up the Stars. Plus i may get the chance to see Adam Berkhoel play. A local kid from where i went to High School at in Minnesota.

One to watch could be Randal Gelech, found this write up from 2 years ago, hopefully he could be a real good pick up for the Griffs, Wings?

"Randall was perhaps our most pleasant surprise among forwards in the AHL," Barnett said. "He provided a lot of offense in the Memorial Cup championship for Kelowna and played a very prominent role. We knew he had size and is solid on his skates, but he's proved, down low, to be a formidable player to deal with when he has the puck in his possession. This was the most competitive and skilled AHL season in several decades, if not ever, and for a player coming out of junior to an average AHL team to play at the level he played at was very satisfying and pleasing to us. He understands the game well and he's very capable of playing a pro-style game without the puck. With the puck, he's fearless in taking it to the net. Added experience will give him a real good opportunity to play in the NHL."

One to watch could be Randal Gelech, found this write up from 2 years ago, hopefully he could be a real good pick up for the Griffs, Wings?

"Randall was perhaps our most pleasant surprise among forwards in the AHL," Barnett said. "He provided a lot of offense in the Memorial Cup championship for Kelowna and played a very prominent role. We knew he had size and is solid on his skates, but he's proved, down low, to be a formidable player to deal with when he has the puck in his possession. This was the most competitive and skilled AHL season in several decades, if not ever, and for a player coming out of junior to an average AHL team to play at the level he played at was very satisfying and pleasing to us. He understands the game well and he's very capable of playing a pro-style game without the puck. With the puck, he's fearless in taking it to the net. Added experience will give him a real good opportunity to play in the NHL."

And from Hockey's Future, when he was with the Coyotes organization:

"Gelech is a player that every team loves to have. He is very intense and considered an energy player. He is a good skater with decent speed. He is a tenacious forechecker and his size (6’3, 212) complements his works hard on the forecheck and around the net. He possesses soft hands and a nose that helps him find ways to score. He uses the body and finishes his checks. He has good overall ability and skill. He will earn his respect from his persistence and determination because he will give you the same intensity and gritty play every night."

Is somebody missing from this roster?

Grigorenko - Hartigan - Corazzini

Ryno - Cullen - Ritola

Helm - Oulahen - Gelech

Engelhardt - McGrath - Keefe

Kindl - Ericsson

Quincey - Ference

Stafford - Insana

Howard

Berkhoel

Edited by Henkka

Is somebody missing from this roster?

Grigorenko - Hartigan - Corazzini

Ryno - Cullen - Ritola

Helm - Oulahen - Gelech

Engelhardt - McGrath - ???

Kindl - Ericsson

Quincey - Ference

Stafford - ???

Howard

Berkhoel

It looks like you are missing Keefe (RW) and Insana (D)

brief observations from last night's home opener...

-the PK left a lot to be desired

-the boys played most of the game intimidated, on their heels

-howard lost his head after two quick goals against

-the refs are calling the league tight, similar to what we've seen in the NHL

-flaherty came back to hunt the griffins, this time with another club

-keefe matches the same intensity that downey brings to the DRW, plays same role

-hartigan was the best pick up, hands down... he was one of few to bring his A game

-ryno is extremely tall

-mark cullen is my dark horse to make a difference this season, his focus and intensity is infectious and

he did great things with the phantoms a season or two ago... and he's not afraid to shoot the puck!

-ritola was fun to watch... he's quick but didn't see the puck much

-players unmentioned in this thread had an otherwise forgetful evening

it was one game and proved to be the first loss of a young season, no long-term conclusions are being drawn.