11 replies to this topic

#1 Filppula41

Filppula41

Prospect

• Silver Booster
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:42 AM

Link
"No big deal. I just watched the game. I had the best seats of anyone in the crowd. It was awesome."
-- Jiri Fischer - Early November 1999

#2 Turretin

Turretin

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:44 AM

Salary Dump.
"Those 'technicalities' have a name, Bobby. They're called the Bill of Rights."
-Hank Hill

#3 BeeRYCE

BeeRYCE

Where are the f'n twinkies?!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:45 AM

This deal was probably to make more breathing room to sign Emery. Good trade.

#4 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:58 AM

Murray made a great deal. Donovan is the hardest worker in the NHL. Shean Donovan-Mike Fisher-Chris Neil ... wow

#NOMOREKINDL

#5 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:12 PM

Sens got themselves a steal here. Donovan is way better than Schaefer.

Guess Murray isn't such a bad GM after all. laugh.gif

#6 Hank

Hank

60% of the time it works everytime

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE(Kp-Wings @ July 17, 2007 - 02:12PM) View Post

Sens got themselves a steal here. Donovan is way better than Schaefer.

Guess Murray isn't such a bad GM after all. laugh.gif

I think the Bruins got the much better deal. Schaefer had more hits and way more points than Donovan last season.
Donovan works his tail off and he can skate like Neidermayer on crack, but to say he has cement hands is an insult to cement.
Scheafer is a great 3rd line winger who can skate, check, kill penalties and finish enough for 40-50 points.

This was a salary dump so they can resign upcoming free agents (Heatley, Spezza, Redden in 08 and Emery this year).

#7 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE(Hank @ July 17, 2007 - 02:23PM) View Post

I think the Bruins got the much better deal. Schaefer had more hits and way more points than Donovan last season.
Donovan works his tail off and he can skate like Neidermayer on crack, but to say he has cement hands is an insult to cement.
Scheafer is a great 3rd line winger who can skate, check, kill penalties and finish enough for 40-50 points.

This was a salary dump so they can resign upcoming free agents (Heatley, Spezza, Redden in 08 and Emery this year).

Did he really have more hits? Wow, I thought Donovan would have smoked him in that catagory. I just thought Schaefer had a few more points, which wouldn't really be missed because of the top line.

#8 Hank

Hank

60% of the time it works everytime

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE(Kp-Wings @ July 17, 2007 - 02:28PM) View Post

Did he really have more hits? Wow, I thought Donovan would have smoked him in that catagory. I just thought Schaefer had a few more points, which wouldn't really be missed because of the top line.

LOL. Well technically, he had 1 more hit I believe. Hits can be subjective though. A small little bump after the puck is dished counts as much as a run away train hit, so who knows how accurate that stat is.

I'm a Donovan fan but I still think Schaefer is a better all around player. But he's worth more $$$ so I can see why Ottawa moved him for upcoming FA's.

#9 GordieSid&Ted

GordieSid&Ted

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE(Hank @ July 17, 2007 - 03:09PM) View Post

LOL. Well technically, he had 1 more hit I believe. Hits can be subjective though. A small little bump after the puck is dished counts as much as a run away train hit, so who knows how accurate that stat is.

I'm a Donovan fan but I still think Schaefer is a better all around player. But he's worth more $$$ so I can see why Ottawa moved him for upcoming FA's.

Schaeffer is a far more complete player than Donovan IMO as well. I can't remember the last time I saw Donovan do anything offensively with a puck. Schaeffer can skate just as well, kill penalties, he'll finish his checks and the bonus is he's strong enough offensively to carry the puck up the ice and to make some nice moves and score goals. Given adequate playing time Schaeffer is a 20 goal player in his sleep.

If money were no object I would take Schaeffer over Donovan a million times out of a million. Definitely they felt they could dump Shaeffer for the added savings and maybe more expected output from guys like Vermette.

Donovan gives them more of a defensive minded, hard hat guy.

Still, the bottom line: I like this move. They got to the finals with all the flash in the world but couldn't match the jam of the Ducks. This gives them more of that jam.
Being a mod doesn't make you special.

#10 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:59 PM

Plus with Boston Schaefer will play on one of the top two lines, which means playing with Savard, Bergereon, or Murray,
Unless they wanted to make a decent young line and go Bochenski Kessel Schaefer.
They wouldn't be the greates line ever but I would take that line on the wings!
(not saying over any of the young guys we have just saying I wouldn't mind that line)

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#11 YoungGuns1340

YoungGuns1340

Johan and Henrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:53 PM

Schaefer is a much better player than Donovan. I think people are still sitting on 2004 when Donovan and the Flames wiped the ice with the Wings asses. He hasnt been that player since.

Having said that, Donovan is still a gritty, hardworking player that anyone would love to have on their team, but 10 times out of 10, youd rather have Schaefer. If it werent for the purpose of re-signing the likes of Heatley, Spezza, Emery, and Fisher, most Sens fans I can guarantee you would be pissed about this deal.
It is not your aptitude, but your attitude, that determines your altitude.

#12 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:21 PM

I feel bad for Shaefer...
When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--