• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rob the Badger

What are you reading right now?

Rate this topic

I'm in the process of finishing up a great bio of The Beatles by Bob Spitz. I started reading it at the library the other day, killing time while the boss was trying to download some software off the Net, and got hooked on it.

Hunting Al Qaeda. It's a book about a National Guard Special Forces unit that was deployed to afghanistan in support OEF 2002. Very insightful book on the life of a special forces unit and not just SF but the National Guard SF and some of B.S they deal with that a regular active duty SF team would not deal with. wink.gif

The Quickie, by James Patterson.

Basically about a disgruntled marriage and the two cheat on each other, the female witnesses a terrible crime that basically the one she cheated with as well as her husband is involved in.

Pretty much been action packed and suspensful from minute one.

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Lone Survivor - Marcus Luttrell

I just read the article about the leader of the team who was killed and is having a battleship named after him. Sounded like and intense story!! And the mission was called Operation Red Wings? At some point in my life I'd like to read that book.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'm going to go to the library again tomorrow.

May I suggest that anyone who insists on attempting the "classics" not waste their time? I tried getting through both Anna Karenina and Don Quixote - couldn't make it through either one.

I've considered trying to read some of the classics that we were forced to in high school but I have the same problem, can't get through them. I actually need to try to read some more.

A couple of years ago I go hooked on an author that writes scifi romance. She has a series of books, I think I read 17 of them in 6 months time. But they have a little Greek mythology in there, Artemis is a main character, and there are soul stealing Daimons. If you might be interested her name is Sherrilyn Kenyon and it's the Dark Hunter series. She has a couple other series as well and yes there is romance in them too, but the books are not full of it which is what makes them so good.

Re-reading the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin. The new book, A Dance With Dragons, comes out next month. Its been a while since I read the series so I wanted to freshen up before it comes out.

For non-fiction, I'm reading "Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers." I want to brew some beers using ancient techniques and ingredients, so this book is kind of a primer for that.

I'm reading Persuasion by Jane Austen. Read it for a college class, liked it so much that I'm actually reading it again for fun. I love Pride and Prejudice, and I think it's kind of THE Jane Austen novel, but from a less objective perspective, I think I might actually like this one more. I like the whole second chance angle in this one.

Re-reading the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin. The new book, A Dance With Dragons, comes out next month. Its been a while since I read the series so I wanted to freshen up before it comes out.

I was just going to post about this. I'm completely new to the series but just finished watching HBO's first season of Game of Thrones completely riveted by it. Ever since I got my iPhone a few months back I've been gobbling up books to read (I used to do it frequently years ago but got away from it because of the hassle of carrying a book around, but with the phone they're always with me). I, like Jack, am currently reading Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol but I'll have that finished this weekend in time to start the first of Martin's fantastic epic series. Before that I read Howard Wasdin's Seal Team Six.

Got done reading The Lost Symbol recently, another one of Dan Brown's gems similar in action/adventure to his books The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons. Absolutely recommend reading it.

Also got done reading Sail, a book by James Patterson about a woman who was in a difficult marriage and whose husband died while they were having struggles, and she was having a hard time keeping her family/kids together. She re-married and had a family boating trip which the 2nd husband didn't go on, but insane circumstances slowly brought the family closer together. Another one definitely worth the read.

Currently reading The Hostage by W.E.B. Griffin, more of a war/history author. About the wife of an American Diplomat who is kidnapped in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and the President sends kinda a "Wild Card" person from the White House to help investigate. The "Wild Card" doubts himself often but does a helluva job gathering information and the like to make sure justice is served (probably about 2/5 of the way through the book so far).