• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rob the Badger

What are you reading right now?

Rate this topic

I have been a fan of Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series for a while. Now I am reading the books that interweave into that world. I've read Salem's Lot, It, The Stand and Insomnia. Right now, I am reading Hearts in Atlantis about Ted Braughtigan and the low men.

Awesome, a book thread!

Lately, I'm on a Dean Koontz kick. I've been reading these really dense and long fantasy books that took me 3 weeks to read. I blast throguh the Koontz books in like 2 days, so I've been reading them as kind of a break. Currently in the middle of Brother Odd, the 3rd in the Odd Thomas series.

Since I finished up school... not a damn thing and soooo happy about it! :)

I don't have time to sit and read a book for fun, but I do listen to books on tape so that I can multitask at work.

William Bernhardt (Ben Kincaid series)

Robin Cook

Jonathan and/or Faye Kellerman

Dean Koontz

Harlan Coben

Are my five top authors right now...

Currently in the middle of Brother Odd, the 3rd in the Odd Thomas series.

Offsides is big on this series... I have read the first 2 and still not read or listened to the 3rd one yet.

Right now i am reading Eldest by Christopher Paolini its the book after Eragon. which is better then that movie. but then again what isn't

I just finished Stephen King's "The Green Mille". What a sad book. Now I can see the movie.

Getting ready to start J.R.R/Chris Tolkien's " The Children of Hurin" and awaiting the new Harry Potter book on Saturday.

Edited by Beau

I am reading The Color of Water for one of my classes next year. I must say if you are trying to find a good book to read Blue Like Jazz is the best one I have ever read. It changed my life Im not even kidding.

The Color of Water is a great book. I'm a big fan.

Right now I'm reading Nine Stories by J.D. Salinger.

The Color of Water is a great book. I'm a big fan.

I dont know about you, but that book left me feeling blue.

(Hey wait, i didnt even notice that rhymes....Leanne Rimes sings the song "Blue"...thats a once in a lifetime coincidence!)

I'm not reading anything right now, but I was flipping through books earlier tonight and read through a chapter or two of The Things They Carried. It's fiction focusing on brief clips and stories from the Vietnam war apparently...

Honestly, I'm not too sold on the book, but the writing style has my interest piqued. It's not a stupid piece of fiction that is all like, "set in such and such era, here are your characters, this is the convoluted story, now go eat all this crap up because all you wanted was a book about Subject Whatever and that's placed in This Specific Time Period". It's not that at all. It's more like verbal snapshots that paint specific pictures on specific experiences in the war, albeit (how much I don't know, and this is another thing I'm wary of) fictional

I'll go pick it up some other time, but the mark against the book I have--and I'm not sure how many people would know what I mean, but if you do then you'll get this--is that while the narrative style is sharp and VERY engaging, it relies on being very descriptive and having a lot of adjectives - the guy who wrote it is basically a verbal artist, and that's cool.

But it doesn't lend well to being a truly "great book", it just means you write in a way that'll engage someone's imagination and that (too) is cool. The downside though is that it also means you might not really have anything great to say either. Not anything bad to say (again either), but certainly not stellar or that could put you up as having Written Something Truly Memorable. Sometimes you have both, but the two don't always go hand in hand as the same gift with people or writers.

/review over

--

And to leave a reply on a book -without- adding a huge assuming overview, ever hear of From Baghdad, With Love? I'll just say this, it's nothing more than a story about "A Soldier and his rescued (eventually)-from-Iraq Dog", but it's really endearing.

And I don't have a pref for war books, just to note, these two just happened to stand out to me. From Baghdad is a nice contrast to all the other stuff in Iraq though if you're the type who can enjoy a simple book at facevalue every so often. I did.

Edited by Flip-check

I dont know about you, but that book left me feeling blue.

(Hey wait, i didnt even notice that rhymes....Leanne Rimes sings the song "Blue"...thats a once in a lifetime coincidence!)

:lol: Like clockwork.

I'm currently re-reading the 3rd book of A Song of Ice & Fire, by George R.R. Martin, which is a GREAT series...

The rights to the series has been bought by HBO, they will be making a show based on the books...each book will be spread out over 1 season...I can't wait!!!

I just finished Stephen King's "The Green Mille". What a sad book. Now I can see the movie.

I thought the movie was fascinating, the book has to be double that.

I am reading The Color of Water for one of my classes next year. I must say if you are trying to find a good book to read Blue Like Jazz is the best one I have ever read. It changed my life Im not even kidding.

I've heard of BLJ, and I've heard of The Color of Water... I don't remember what it was about though. Maybe I'll google that right now.

I just finished re-reading No One Here Gets Out Alive by Jerry Hopkins and Danny Sugerman. It's a biography of one of my all-time favorite rockers, Jim Morrison. I think it was the first real bio of him that was done. Next up, I'll probably stay on the same topic and re-read Jim Morrison: Life, Death, Legend by Stephen Davis.

Guest REDWINGS4LYFE

mein kampf--- wow what can i say a really good read. HARRY POTTER WAS AMAZING I SPENT THE LAST WEEK AND A HALF READING THE WHOLE SERIES

I have been a fan of Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series for a while. Now I am reading the books that interweave into that world. I've read Salem's Lot, It, The Stand and Insomnia. Right now, I am reading Hearts in Atlantis about Ted Braughtigan and the low men.

It and The Stand and Insomnia are 3 of King's best books...along with The Shining, which is way different from the movie (the original movie that is....the miniseries is close). Hearts in Atlantis was really, really good at the beginning, but then falls apart in the middle, which is disappointing, and is kind of disjointed. I really thought the beginning, however made it excellent, if only it could maintain that throughout like some of King's others.

Lately, I'm on a Dean Koontz kick. I've been reading these really dense and long fantasy books that took me 3 weeks to read. I blast throguh the Koontz books in like 2 days, so I've been reading them as kind of a break. Currently in the middle of Brother Odd, the 3rd in the Odd Thomas series.

I love the Odd Thomas series. I thought 3 was really good...2 was okay, and 1 is the best by far. I would recommend Odd Thomas to anyone as it's one of my favorite Koontz books...also Watchers is excellent -- totally different kind of book, and the Chris Snow books are really good...also a series. Chris Snow kind of reminds me of Odd, actually. The Taking was pretty scary too. From the Corner of his Eye was also very intriguing.

Getting ready to start J.R.R/Chris Tolkien's " The Children of Hurin" and awaiting the new Harry Potter book on Saturday.

Oh, I love that movie. It's really good. It's done very well, and is kind of a tear jerker...in my opinion...one of my favorite movies.

-----------------------------------------------------

I'm finishing up "I Know This Much is True" by Wally Lamb...which I've been reading pretty much forever..it's a long book...but good.

I'm also finishing "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" and am the only person who's not yet finished it .. haha.