• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rob the Badger

What are you reading right now?

Rate this topic

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

I have been a fan of Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series for a while. Now I am reading the books that interweave into that world. I've read Salem's Lot, It, The Stand and Insomnia. Right now, I am reading Hearts in Atlantis about Ted Braughtigan and the low men.

Reading Stephen King's Cell.

Good Apocolyptic book.

Just finished Harry Potter.

Revolutionary Characters and The Americanization of Benjamin Franklin both are by Gordon Wood

If you like US History then you will like Revolutionary Characters!!!

Since the fiance and I are saving up for a house and a wedding, I have to re-read my books instead of going to Barnes and Noble and buying new ones. Apparently I'm supposed to be saving money. So right now I'm re-reading The Informant by Kurt Eichenwald. It's a true story about an FBI operation to an international price fixing conspiracy. And, the FBI had an informant (hence the title) in the company who was feeding them information. But, it turns out the informant is a complete nutcase and is just as much of a liability as he is a help.

If you like true crime stories, I'd recommend it. It's not your usual true-crime fair, since it's not about grisly murders, serial killers or mobsters. White collar crime can be a little dull, but its extremely well written and it keeps you interested in finding out what happens next.

Since the fiance and I are saving up for a house and a wedding, I have to re-read my books instead of going to Barnes and Noble and buying new ones. Apparently I'm supposed to be saving money. So right now I'm re-reading The Informant by Kurt Eichenwald. It's a true story about an FBI operation to an international price fixing conspiracy. And, the FBI had an informant (hence the title) in the company who was feeding them information. But, it turns out the informant is a complete nutcase and is just as much of a liability as he is a help.

If you like true crime stories, I'd recommend it. It's not your usual true-crime fair, since it's not about grisly murders, serial killers or mobsters. White collar crime can be a little dull, but its extremely well written and it keeps you interested in finding out what happens next.

I've heard about these things called "libraries" or something to like that. Rumor has it they let you borrow books for a while, as long as you promise to give them back. And best of all it's free! :P

Or you can buy 'em used online from Powells.com. You can get books pretty cheap there (and it's recycling too, but I know as a conservative you probably prefer to burn them after you've read them).

Right now I'm reading "Terrorist" by Updike. Mainly because I'm a liberal so I love terrorists.

Or you can buy 'em used online from Powells.com. You can get books pretty cheap there (and it's recycling too, but I know as a conservative you probably prefer to burn them after you've read them).

Powell's has a pretty good selection (understatement). Living in Portland for a year I got to check out their main location on Burnside... it lives up to its rep as being huge!

I miss the PacNorthwest, for that amongst other reasons.

I've heard about these things called "libraries" or something to like that. Rumor has it they let you borrow books for a while, as long as you promise to give them back. And best of all it's free! :P

Right now I'm reading "Terrorist" by Updike. Mainly because I'm a liberal so I love terrorists.

Libraries are way too liberal for me. They're all like, "hey man, just borrow some books of you want. They're free. You just have to bring them back later." Please, I don't fall for that s***. Libraries are the first step toward all of us living in a commune...

We have a pretty decent used bookstore, I go there every so often. On the one hand, its recycling so I'm against it. But on the other hand, I'm a cheap bastard so any type of money-saving is good with me. I'm so confused.

Libraries are way too liberal for me. They're all like, "hey man, just borrow some books of you want. They're free. You just have to bring them back later." Please, I don't fall for that s***. Libraries are the first step toward all of us living in a commune...

We have a pretty decent used bookstore, I go there every so often. On the one hand, its recycling so I'm against it. But on the other hand, I'm a cheap bastard so any type of money-saving is good with me. I'm so confused.

You can do like a friend of mine does....he buys books and dvd's off of e-bay...reads the books or watches the dvd's, then re-lists them on e-bay...quite often he ends up actually making a small amount of money on each one...worst case scenario he reads a book or watches a movie for free...

Guest REDWINGS4LYFE

i bought mein kampf and i read it, it was a good book but im still confused anyone wanna buy it. local libraries dont carry it

So, since I finished the Odd Thomas series, I read a book of short stories by Tad Williams (very good) short stories by Brian Lumley (also very good) The first in the Necroscope series by Brian Lumley (re-read, and always good) and now I'm reading both book 4 in George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series and Stephen King\Richard Bachman's Blaze. So far both are excellent.

Parallel Worlds by Michio Kaku. It's stuff like quantum, string and M theory plus origins of the universe etc etc for people lacking a background in the subject. Even still, parts of it are somewhat over my head. I'll probably read this book again for good measure.

Right now I'm reading Dirty Sally, by Michael Simon and The Dangerous Book For Boys by Conn and Hal Iggulden.

Dirty Sally is a detective story much like something James Ellroy would write. Grisly murders, corrupt cops, power brokers, hookers, drugs, etc. I'm a big fan of Ellroy and so far, Dirty Sally is a good read. Plus, it takes place in Austin so there's plenty of references to places I know.

The Dangerous Book For Boys is basically a cross between a boy scout manual and a history book. There's chapters on how to build a tree house, make a battery, famous battles in history, the Navajo alphabet and all sorts of random stuff. I was hoping it would be a little more "dangerous," maybe how to build a potato gun and things of that variety, but it's an entertaining book.

I am reading Rebel League which is about the rise and fall of the WHA. I am also reading a crap load of text books, 17 credits is a *****.

Right now I'm reading Dirty Sally, by Michael Simon and The Dangerous Book For Boys by Conn and Hal Iggulden.

Dirty Sally is a detective story much like something James Ellroy would write. Grisly murders, corrupt cops, power brokers, hookers, drugs, etc. I'm a big fan of Ellroy and so far, Dirty Sally is a good read. Plus, it takes place in Austin so there's plenty of references to places I know.

The Dangerous Book For Boys is basically a cross between a boy scout manual and a history book. There's chapters on how to build a tree house, make a battery, famous battles in history, the Navajo alphabet and all sorts of random stuff. I was hoping it would be a little more "dangerous," maybe how to build a potato gun and things of that variety, but it's an entertaining book.

Dangerous Book for Boys was fun to read. I bought it just before I left at the begining of last summer to work at a summer camp.

Not many LGW readers, huh?

After I finished Deathly Hallows, I started the series over, I'm on Goblet of Fire cause it hasn't really been my main focus.

I just started Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, like interminded. I read 'Everything Is Illuminated,' also by Jonathan Safran Foer, and then I had to read more by him.

I started reading this book called A Short History of Tractors in Ukraine, which is very funny, very charming, and not at all about tractors. It's almost life changing, not Everything Is Illuminated changing, but it's not a pure entetainment/no message type of book.

Finally, I'm in the middle of Grendel, which is Beowulf through the eye's of the monster, and it was written in the 70s, so it's an easier read.

I like to have a lot going on at once.

How did I not see this thread before?

I finally finished Middlesex, a compelling read that somehow took me two years to finish. I know it came out forever ago, and I swear that I bought it before it became popular. It's also full of Detroit references (as it's set in the city), so that made the read all the more enjoyable. But I kept picking up other stuff and always had to shelve it. Finally sat through a sick weekend and went from start to finish.

Up next are Love in the Time of Cholera (it's been a slow start) and Best Friends.

Edited by zettermaberg