• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#21 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 03:04 PM

I just finished re-reading No One Here Gets Out Alive by Jerry Hopkins and Danny Sugerman. It's a biography of one of my all-time favorite rockers, Jim Morrison. I think it was the first real bio of him that was done. Next up, I'll probably stay on the same topic and re-read Jim Morrison: Life, Death, Legend by Stephen Davis.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#22 REDWINGS4LYFE

REDWINGS4LYFE

2nd Line Scorer

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 12:53 AM

mein kampf--- wow what can i say a really good read. HARRY POTTER WAS AMAZING I SPENT THE LAST WEEK AND A HALF READING THE WHOLE SERIES

#23 Offsides

Offsides

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE(Rob the Badger @ July 18, 2007 - 10:22AM) View Post

I have been a fan of Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series for a while. Now I am reading the books that interweave into that world. I've read Salem's Lot, It, The Stand and Insomnia. Right now, I am reading Hearts in Atlantis about Ted Braughtigan and the low men.

It and The Stand and Insomnia are 3 of King's best books...along with The Shining, which is way different from the movie (the original movie that is....the miniseries is close). Hearts in Atlantis was really, really good at the beginning, but then falls apart in the middle, which is disappointing, and is kind of disjointed. I really thought the beginning, however made it excellent, if only it could maintain that throughout like some of King's others.

QUOTE(drwscc @ July 18, 2007 - 10:38AM) View Post

Lately, I'm on a Dean Koontz kick. I've been reading these really dense and long fantasy books that took me 3 weeks to read. I blast throguh the Koontz books in like 2 days, so I've been reading them as kind of a break. Currently in the middle of Brother Odd, the 3rd in the Odd Thomas series.

I love the Odd Thomas series. I thought 3 was really good...2 was okay, and 1 is the best by far. I would recommend Odd Thomas to anyone as it's one of my favorite Koontz books...also Watchers is excellent -- totally different kind of book, and the Chris Snow books are really good...also a series. Chris Snow kind of reminds me of Odd, actually. The Taking was pretty scary too. From the Corner of his Eye was also very intriguing.

QUOTE(Beau @ July 19, 2007 - 09:53PM) View Post

I just finished Stephen King's "The Green Mille". What a sad book. Now I can see the movie.
Getting ready to start J.R.R/Chris Tolkien's " The Children of Hurin" and awaiting the new Harry Potter book on Saturday.

Oh, I love that movie. It's really good. It's done very well, and is kind of a tear jerker...in my opinion...one of my favorite movies.

-----------------------------------------------------

I'm finishing up "I Know This Much is True" by Wally Lamb...which I've been reading pretty much forever..it's a long book...but good.

I'm also finishing "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" and am the only person who's not yet finished it .. haha.

Posted Image

#24 DetroitNativePride

DetroitNativePride

!sziasztok!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 12:53 PM

Mozart in the Jungle. It's about drugs, sex, and classical music. If you're a music major, it makes you feel like your rebelious ways are the norm.
hungarians are crazy
nem baj

#25 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:26 PM

I'm within a chapter of finishing up "Lies My Teacher Told Me".

After that I'll be moving on to the last three books of Stephen King's Dark Tower series.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#26 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE(Rob the Badger @ July 18, 2007 - 10:22AM) View Post

I have been a fan of Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series for a while. Now I am reading the books that interweave into that world. I've read Salem's Lot, It, The Stand and Insomnia. Right now, I am reading Hearts in Atlantis about Ted Braughtigan and the low men.

Reading Stephen King's Cell.

Good Apocolyptic book.

Just finished Harry Potter.
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#27 Offsides

Offsides

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:44 PM

Cell was great...didn't like the end...but in my opinion a great book.

Posted Image

#28 tipetz22

tipetz22

In Howie We Trust

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:50 PM

Revolutionary Characters and The Americanization of Benjamin Franklin both are by Gordon Wood

If you like US History then you will like Revolutionary Characters!!!

#29 Viperar

Viperar

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 05:08 PM

wtf are books unsure.gif
IPB Image
IPB Image

#30 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:32 PM

Since the fiance and I are saving up for a house and a wedding, I have to re-read my books instead of going to Barnes and Noble and buying new ones. Apparently I'm supposed to be saving money. So right now I'm re-reading The Informant by Kurt Eichenwald. It's a true story about an FBI operation to an international price fixing conspiracy. And, the FBI had an informant (hence the title) in the company who was feeding them information. But, it turns out the informant is a complete nutcase and is just as much of a liability as he is a help.

If you like true crime stories, I'd recommend it. It's not your usual true-crime fair, since it's not about grisly murders, serial killers or mobsters. White collar crime can be a little dull, but its extremely well written and it keeps you interested in finding out what happens next.

#31 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,870 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE(BlakChamber @ August 2, 2007 - 04:32PM) View Post

Since the fiance and I are saving up for a house and a wedding, I have to re-read my books instead of going to Barnes and Noble and buying new ones. Apparently I'm supposed to be saving money. So right now I'm re-reading The Informant by Kurt Eichenwald. It's a true story about an FBI operation to an international price fixing conspiracy. And, the FBI had an informant (hence the title) in the company who was feeding them information. But, it turns out the informant is a complete nutcase and is just as much of a liability as he is a help.

If you like true crime stories, I'd recommend it. It's not your usual true-crime fair, since it's not about grisly murders, serial killers or mobsters. White collar crime can be a little dull, but its extremely well written and it keeps you interested in finding out what happens next.

I've heard about these things called "libraries" or something to like that. Rumor has it they let you borrow books for a while, as long as you promise to give them back. And best of all it's free! tongue.gif

Or you can buy 'em used online from Powells.com. You can get books pretty cheap there (and it's recycling too, but I know as a conservative you probably prefer to burn them after you've read them).

Right now I'm reading "Terrorist" by Updike. Mainly because I'm a liberal so I love terrorists.

#32 Flip-check

Flip-check

kicking ass and taking Cups

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 01:24 AM

QUOTE(haroldsnepsts @ August 2, 2007 - 08:49PM) View Post

Or you can buy 'em used online from Powells.com. You can get books pretty cheap there (and it's recycling too, but I know as a conservative you probably prefer to burn them after you've read them).

Powell's has a pretty good selection (understatement). Living in Portland for a year I got to check out their main location on Burnside... it lives up to its rep as being huge!

I miss the PacNorthwest, for that amongst other reasons.

No, it's definitely excitement.

#33 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:24 AM

QUOTE(haroldsnepsts @ August 2, 2007 - 06:49PM) View Post

I've heard about these things called "libraries" or something to like that. Rumor has it they let you borrow books for a while, as long as you promise to give them back. And best of all it's free! tongue.gif

Right now I'm reading "Terrorist" by Updike. Mainly because I'm a liberal so I love terrorists.

Libraries are way too liberal for me. They're all like, "hey man, just borrow some books of you want. They're free. You just have to bring them back later." Please, I don't fall for that s***. Libraries are the first step toward all of us living in a commune...

We have a pretty decent used bookstore, I go there every so often. On the one hand, its recycling so I'm against it. But on the other hand, I'm a cheap bastard so any type of money-saving is good with me. I'm so confused.

#34 Vladinator

Vladinator

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE(BlakChamber @ August 3, 2007 - 08:24AM) View Post

Libraries are way too liberal for me. They're all like, "hey man, just borrow some books of you want. They're free. You just have to bring them back later." Please, I don't fall for that s***. Libraries are the first step toward all of us living in a commune...

We have a pretty decent used bookstore, I go there every so often. On the one hand, its recycling so I'm against it. But on the other hand, I'm a cheap bastard so any type of money-saving is good with me. I'm so confused.

You can do like a friend of mine does....he buys books and dvd's off of e-bay...reads the books or watches the dvd's, then re-lists them on e-bay...quite often he ends up actually making a small amount of money on each one...worst case scenario he reads a book or watches a movie for free...

As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy
We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

#35 Rob the Badger

Rob the Badger

THANK YOU CAPTAIN OBVIOUS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 01:54 PM

I've finished "insomnia" and "Hearts in Atlantis"... So now I am re-reading "Salem's Lot". It's easily been a decade since I read it last.

#36 REDWINGS4LYFE

REDWINGS4LYFE

2nd Line Scorer

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 03:05 PM

i bought mein kampf and i read it, it was a good book but im still confused anyone wanna buy it. local libraries dont carry it

#37 Legionnaire11

Legionnaire11

Simpsonized!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 03:25 PM

just completed "Ambush at Corellia" Book 1 of the Corellian Trilogy. It was pretty boring through the first half, but fired up towards the end.

Up next is "Assault at Selonia" which is Book 2
IPB Image
"The people at first were saying, 'Why is there a team in Nashville?' But when you come here and you see the fans and the excitement, my question would be, "Why would there not be a team in Nashville?" - Yanic Perreault, January 18, 2006

#38 lfd250

lfd250

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 06:43 PM

This post is what I am reading right now.

Sorry had to do it tongue.gif
Keep your stick on the ice - Red Green

#39 interminded

interminded

Shiny Happy People

• HoF Booster
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 04:38 PM

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Jonathan Safran Foer

intense !

I went to buy some camouflage pants the other day but I couldn't find any.

#40 Rob the Badger

Rob the Badger

THANK YOU CAPTAIN OBVIOUS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:26 PM

I should have known that this thread wouldn't be as popular as the "What are you listening to right now" thread.

Right now, I'm reading a N+ certification manual. Yaaaawn!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users