Photo
- - - - -

What are you reading right now?

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#41 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:36 PM

So, since I finished the Odd Thomas series, I read a book of short stories by Tad Williams (very good) short stories by Brian Lumley (also very good) The first in the Necroscope series by Brian Lumley (re-read, and always good) and now I'm reading both book 4 in George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series and Stephen King\Richard Bachman's Blaze. So far both are excellent.
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#42 Happy Pancake

Happy Pancake

Courage Wolf Inspires Howie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 06:24 PM

Parallel Worlds by Michio Kaku. It's stuff like quantum, string and M theory plus origins of the universe etc etc for people lacking a background in the subject. Even still, parts of it are somewhat over my head. I'll probably read this book again for good measure.

#43 wingsgirl001

wingsgirl001

Hey Hey, Hockeytown!

• Gold Booster
  • 6,752 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE(Offsides @ August 2, 2007 - 04:44PM) View Post

Cell was great...didn't like the end...but in my opinion a great book.

I read that too. Pretty good book. I didn't really care for the ending either though.

i57ouh.jpg

Captain Z!

#44 Rob the Badger

Rob the Badger

THANK YOU CAPTAIN OBVIOUS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:06 AM

I'm reading "Perspectives" right now to help me draw more dynamic pictures. I'm trying to get a more interesting look to my drawings.

#45 amberlynn25

amberlynn25

2nd Line Scorer

• Gold Booster
  • 521 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 10:22 AM

Im reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and A Midsummers Night Dream, along with about four other school books. blah!
I get up every day, and I live. Everybody says you should live to the fullest, but what is it? No one knows until you come so close that you're not worried about anything else but being alive."~ Jiri Fischer
my heart belongs to a canadian!

#46 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 11:29 AM

Right now I'm reading Dirty Sally, by Michael Simon and The Dangerous Book For Boys by Conn and Hal Iggulden.

Dirty Sally is a detective story much like something James Ellroy would write. Grisly murders, corrupt cops, power brokers, hookers, drugs, etc. I'm a big fan of Ellroy and so far, Dirty Sally is a good read. Plus, it takes place in Austin so there's plenty of references to places I know.

The Dangerous Book For Boys is basically a cross between a boy scout manual and a history book. There's chapters on how to build a tree house, make a battery, famous battles in history, the Navajo alphabet and all sorts of random stuff. I was hoping it would be a little more "dangerous," maybe how to build a potato gun and things of that variety, but it's an entertaining book.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#47 TimeBinder

TimeBinder

The continuum must be bound

• PipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 12:44 PM

The Professional Chef 8th ed. - time to move on and do something new - culinary arfts @ schoolcraft
Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

#48 Skiing - Puck

Skiing - Puck

But Dave's out. Who's gonna take his place?

• PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 12:47 PM

I am reading Rebel League which is about the rise and fall of the WHA. I am also reading a crap load of text books, 17 credits is a *****.

QUOTE(BlakChamber @ September 6, 2007 - 12:29PM) View Post

Right now I'm reading Dirty Sally, by Michael Simon and The Dangerous Book For Boys by Conn and Hal Iggulden.

Dirty Sally is a detective story much like something James Ellroy would write. Grisly murders, corrupt cops, power brokers, hookers, drugs, etc. I'm a big fan of Ellroy and so far, Dirty Sally is a good read. Plus, it takes place in Austin so there's plenty of references to places I know.

The Dangerous Book For Boys is basically a cross between a boy scout manual and a history book. There's chapters on how to build a tree house, make a battery, famous battles in history, the Navajo alphabet and all sorts of random stuff. I was hoping it would be a little more "dangerous," maybe how to build a potato gun and things of that variety, but it's an entertaining book.

Dangerous Book for Boys was fun to read. I bought it just before I left at the begining of last summer to work at a summer camp.

#49 Earthhuman

Earthhuman

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:42 PM

Not many LGW readers, huh?

After I finished Deathly Hallows, I started the series over, I'm on Goblet of Fire cause it hasn't really been my main focus.

I just started Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, like interminded. I read 'Everything Is Illuminated,' also by Jonathan Safran Foer, and then I had to read more by him.

I started reading this book called A Short History of Tractors in Ukraine, which is very funny, very charming, and not at all about tractors. It's almost life changing, not Everything Is Illuminated changing, but it's not a pure entetainment/no message type of book.

Finally, I'm in the middle of Grendel, which is Beowulf through the eye's of the monster, and it was written in the 70s, so it's an easier read.

I like to have a lot going on at once.

#50 zettermaberg

zettermaberg

Come on Fhqwgads!

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 07:26 PM

How did I not see this thread before?

I finally finished Middlesex, a compelling read that somehow took me two years to finish. I know it came out forever ago, and I swear that I bought it before it became popular. It's also full of Detroit references (as it's set in the city), so that made the read all the more enjoyable. But I kept picking up other stuff and always had to shelve it. Finally sat through a sick weekend and went from start to finish.

Up next are Love in the Time of Cholera (it's been a slow start) and Best Friends.

Edited by zettermaberg, 08 September 2007 - 07:27 PM.

“When I was a kid, I wanted to grow up to drink a lot on Christmas and be drunk." - Pavel Datsyuk

Whatever keeps you skating like that, Pavel...

#51 wingsgirl001

wingsgirl001

Hey Hey, Hockeytown!

• Gold Booster
  • 6,752 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 07:32 PM

Right now I am reading Wide Sargasso Sea for a class at school. It's all right so far. Some of the dialogue is sometimes hard to understand though.

i57ouh.jpg

Captain Z!

#52 HkyTwn

HkyTwn

some Zetter is better

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:19 AM

I'm reading The Other Woman by Jane Green and Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf. I'm also reading 'Tis by Frank McCourt. I get to see him in January! tongue.gif
Posted Image

#53 DetroitIan

DetroitIan

^^^^ The Dark Defender

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:06 PM

Im actually quite ashamed. Cause I havent read a full book(a book not assigned by a prof.) in probably almost 2 years. Im definitely gonna get back into it soon. I heard "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" is an amazing read. I think that's my next book.
What time is it??? IT'S HOMER TIME!!!

Yzerman is God.

LGWer since June '02.

#54 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:47 PM

Right now, it's Scott Turow's "Ordinary Heroes", set during World War II. My tastes are pretty eclectic, and the next one up is John Grisham's "A Painted House".
Posted Image

#55 tipetz22

tipetz22

In Howie We Trust

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE(Kira @ September 9, 2007 - 04:47PM) View Post

Right now, it's Scott Turow's "Ordinary Heroes", set during World War II. My tastes are pretty eclectic, and the next one up is John Grisham's "A Painted House".

Kira, "A Painted House" by John Grisham is good, very different from his usually crime/ law thrillers. I read it a few years ago . . .

I just finished "QBQ: The Question Behind the Question" by John Miller- great book about eliminating blame and procrastination (also, it a quick read 115 pg!).

#56 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 02:12 PM

Just started up school again so im rather swamped with course readings, but i'd have to recommend John Krakauer's "Into the Wild" to everyone. Its an amazing book. Trust me, it wont let you down. I read the book about two years ago and it still haunts me.

P.S. the movie is coming out in 2 weeks starring Emile Hirsch and produced by Sean Penn. READ THE BOOK FIRST!
When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#57 Earthhuman

Earthhuman

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:13 PM

Update on A Short History of Tractors In Ukraine:

It makes me feel helpless biologically as a man.

It has a lot of great parallels, so if you pick up on subtle symbolism, this one is fun to pick through.

It's almost like a mystery, too, and it has kept me wondering.

#58 Rob the Badger

Rob the Badger

THANK YOU CAPTAIN OBVIOUS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:27 AM

"TCP/IP" by Parker. It's a reference book for networking. I'm still working on my N+ cert.

#59 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:38 AM

What am I reading right now?

LGW of course! tongue.gif
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#60 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:38 AM

I picked up Irvine Welsh's new book, If You Liked School, You'll Love Work. It's a collection of four stories and novella. The first two stories were ok. Entertaining, but nothing special.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users