• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rob the Badger

What are you reading right now?

Rate this topic

Right now in reading The Ice Man: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer. Awesome book. If you like true crime your should look into it.

Read it too !

Even bought the DVD with the interviews after I read the book.

A cold-blooded killer, but a fascinating individual...

Time to dig this bad boy up from the dead.

I'm a little over halfway through Les Misérables right now and thoroughly enjoying it for several reasons:

- I've always loved Dickens and this is right up the same alley.

- I finally found a book that is a match for my voraciously fast reading. I read really quickly, it was a blessing in school but it's a curse whenever I want to read a book for enjoyment because I have to force myself to put it away otherwise it takes far too little time and I'm done before I know it. Example: One summer when I had nothing better to do, I blasted through Dune in about three days. I knocked out the last three-quarters of Deathly Hallows in about five hours. I wanted to put that away so I could at least enjoy it for three days but couldn't help myself.

- I wish I could have studied this book in high school English, although it's a bit long for that. When Hugo wants you to understand some bit of symbolism or what a character is like, he bludgeons you over the head with descriptions. It wouldn't take any work at all to write a paper on this stuff. It gets a little annoying sometimes because he describes to you exactly what every character is all about and takes like two or three pages doing it. Little Gavroche gets six, and this is a slightly abridged version. So you get a really good picture, which is nice, but on the other hand I could pretty well have formed my own opinion of the characters through their actions, because when Hugo isn't writing essays about characters and settings he's giving them interesting things to do.

- Hugo can write a sentence that takes up half a page and follow it up with one of just a few words and they're both equally descriptive.

I got this book over a week ago and it'll probably take me another week at least to finish, which is nice. I can't remember the last time I spent two weeks on a book I liked.

I'm in the middle of a few books...here are three of them:

Rich Dad's Prophecy by Robert Kiyosaki - financial forecasts from the 70s have come true

Leadership Gold by John Maxwell - just got into this one

The Magic of Thinking Big by David J. Schwartz - third time through...and learning more and more!

I'm reading Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz right now it's a really good book. :thumbup:

Though I have'nt read the Odd Thomas series ( I think there are 3) I have read a lot of other books by Dean Koontz. I really like his books.

Finished - Chasing Harry Winston and Barbara Walters, Audition. Both good books :) I really enjoyed Barbara Walters because she really tells her story well, conveys everything clearly and it was an unsuspected surprise how quick of a read it was. It was neat to hear how she's participated in history.

Now I am almost through Sting's Broken Music.

Edited by VladyIBELIEVE16

I've got two books going right now.

The first is Four Days in November, by Vincent Bugliosi. The book details the day that President Kennedy was killed and the following three days. Well, I assume the following three days. I'm still on the day of the assassination. It's very detailed and quite interesting.

I'm also re-reading one of my all time favorite books, Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh. I've been disappointed by the last few books Welsh has written, but this one is abso-*******-lutely brilliant.

Nine: A Salute to Mr Hockey Gordie Howe

Picked this up over the weekend when I was at Hockeytown Cafe. Such a great read about not only one of the greatest hockey players ever but also an incredible man period.

im reading this site while on the john.

"taking" one for the team, eh?! Good man!

I'm reading "Succeeding With Technology" and "Network + guide to Networks". Not much time for pleasure reading....this old dog is learning some new tricks.

Edited by HOCKEY MATTERS

Just started "World War Z" by Max Brooks.

GOOD choice. Awesome book, and it's being made into a movie, I believe.

I'm working my way through the Ian Fleming 007 novels in order. I'm currently hitting On Her Majesty's Secret Service- not the strongest book of the series (Looking at you, Live And Let Die), but presentable.

Finally finished Les Mis. I can't remember the last time it took me a month to read a book, except for in English class when you weren't supposed to read ahead. It's nice to have a book I enjoy and yet don't blow through in three days or less. Time to break into another big-ass classic along those lines - I think I'll go either reread Great Expectations (it's been years) or Nicholas Nickleby, which I haven't read.

I recently finished Michael Crichton's "The Andromeda Strain" and "Prey". Very good books. Currently reading another Crichton book, "Timeline".

"The Andromeda Strain" is probably one of my favorite reads of Crichton's so far. I love how he applies his medical training and making it seem like an alien bacterium that can kill you in seconds or make you suicidally insane just as fast seem likely. Scientists are confined to an ultra-clean room (Crichton describes the process of decontaminating the human body). While reading, you can only hope that they can find a cure or treatment before the strain begins its reign of terror.

"Prey" leaps into a plausible, but so far imaginary, scenario of what would happen when the potential for nanotechnology and its uses collides with human ambitions and the stress of gaining funding for the project. Nano-robots get out of a lab's control, prowls outside in a Nevada desert and kills animals it comes across. Crichton describes a possible way for companies to manufacture nano-robots, and the ending might surprise some.

"Timeline" is about a group of archaeologists at a French dig site who are trying to reconstruct the medieval site with funding from a technological group. That's about as far up as I have read so far, but apparently the archaeologists will get to travel back in time as a way of being more accurate at reconstruction of the site.

Those are the books that I have finished reading and one that I am currently reading. Crichton (RIP) can really tell a good story.

I am reading D-Day by Stephen E. Ambrose. It is very informational and very detailed with many quotes from veterans. Read it if you ever get the chance!

He is a good author who also wrote the Band of Brothers book that the HBO mini-series was based off of.

I am selfishly bumping this thread (but not the older one of the same topic :) ) because there are quite a few recommendations I'm interested in reading. Heading to the library this afternoon to check out some books. If anyone is reading anything interesting now or recently, by all means tell us about it!

I've just finished reading Ursula LeGuin's Annals of the Western Shore series-- Gifts, Voices, and Powers. They're amazing. Her writing style is truly an art. These three are just as wonderful as the Earthsea books, in my opinion.

I'm actually kind of at a loss on what to read next, since these were so well-crafted that most of the fiction on my shelf would seem like a step down. I'm thinking some nonfiction is indicated so I can bring myself back down to earth. tongue.gif

I'm in the middle of reading Joseph Wambaugh's "The Golden Orange". Kinda funny.

Vladdy, I don't know where your interests lie, but if you like any kind of crime stories, I will recommend John Sandford's "Prey" series. They are a great read. The first one I read was "Eyes of Prey", and it had the creepiest bad guy. Give them a shot if that might interest you.

Another good author is James Lee Burke. His books are set in southwest Louisiana, around Lafayette. As a visitor to that area, I find myself thinking that I visited some of the places he writes about, and it makes the books that much more interesting.