Photo
- - - - -

What are you reading right now?

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#61 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:40 PM

I'm currently reading both "A Feast for Crows" by George RR Martin and the short stories at the end of "I Am Legend"
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#62 Vladinator

Vladinator

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE(drwscc @ September 14, 2007 - 01:40PM) View Post

I'm currently reading both "A Feast for Crows" by George RR Martin and the short stories at the end of "I Am Legend"

Great Series...HBO has bought the rights to turn this series into a show. They plan to make each book a last a season, which means that George needs to improve on his recent performances as far as kicking the books out faster. Waiting 3-5 years between books isn't going to cut it...

I'm reading Eldest by Christopher Paolini...This is the sequel to Eragon, which was made into a decent movie (of course, not as good as the book, but what movies are?)

As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy
We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

#63 HkyTwn

HkyTwn

some Zetter is better

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 01:33 PM

I'm still reading Mrs. Dalloway, and now I'm also onto Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs which I'm so excited to read!!
Posted Image

#64 ladypredsfan

ladypredsfan

Prospect

• 37 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:27 PM

I can't believe none of you have mentioned James Patterson. If you like blood and guts crime stories, his Alex Cross series is the one for you. A couple have been made into movies - Along came a Spider and Kiss the GIrls. I believe both starred Morgan Freeman. But be sure and get the book list, they are supposed to be read in order. There are 11 in this series and I have read them all. He has a womens murder club series of 6 books and I'm reading the sixth one of that series. It's amazing that he can write such gruesome murder stories and then turn around and write a book called Sams Letters to Jennifer that is soooo sweet and touching. I'm hooked on his books.
IPB Image

#65 omnipotent_hudler

omnipotent_hudler

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 10:03 PM

I too seem to have somehow missed this thread..
I have a stack of books waiting to be read but in the last couple of months I managed to complete Breakfast of Champions, Justinian's Flea, Guns, Germs, and Steel and All Quiet on the Western Front.

Breakfast of Champions is Vonnegut at his best although I didn't enjoy it quite as much as Slaughter House 5.

I would highly recommend Guns, Germs, and Steel to anyone who hasn't read it yet... It's really a fascinating explanation of 100,000 years of human history in just 500 pages.

I've finally decided to tackle Plato's Republic(i've been avoiding it for years) and am currently slogging through it... Then hopefully on to something a bit more light.

Edit: I almost forgot, if you haven't read All quiet on the Western Front yet, pick it up... it's a really short but moving read.

Edited by omnipotent_hudler, 15 September 2007 - 10:04 PM.

#66 Wildwings44

Wildwings44

2nd Line Scorer

• Gold Booster
  • 564 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 10:24 PM

"The Road" by McCarthy. About a father and son bond. Very enjoyable.

After that, I'm starting "Son of a Witch," which is the sequel to "Wicked."
GO WINGS!!!

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt" - Shakespeare

"Do or do not, there is not try" - Yoda

"My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die."

#67 Rob the Badger

Rob the Badger

THANK YOU CAPTAIN OBVIOUS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 10:24 AM

"The High Graders" by Louis L'Amour

#68 Happy Pancake

Happy Pancake

Courage Wolf Inspires Howie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 04:26 AM

I'm absolutely crushed to hear that Robert Jordan, the Wheel of Time author, died on Sunday. Right as he was working on the last book too...RIP Mr. Jordan. Thank you for your wonderful stories.

#69 Rob the Badger

Rob the Badger

THANK YOU CAPTAIN OBVIOUS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 07:26 AM

"People and Poses" by Scalera. It's a book about body positions for artists. Not exactly a riveting page turner.

#70 interminded

interminded

Shiny Happy People

• HoF Booster
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:39 PM

I just finished " Between a Rock and a hard Place " by Aron Ralston.

Very raw, touching and inspiring.

I went to buy some camouflage pants the other day but I couldn't find any.

#71 amberlynn25

amberlynn25

2nd Line Scorer

• Gold Booster
  • 521 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 10:20 PM

Im on The merchant of Venice and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I just bought the last of the books in the set. im kinda working my way backwards on them.
I get up every day, and I live. Everybody says you should live to the fullest, but what is it? No one knows until you come so close that you're not worried about anything else but being alive."~ Jiri Fischer
my heart belongs to a canadian!

#72 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:15 AM

Currently re-reading, Filth, by Irvine Welsh. It's probably my favorite of his books.

Amazon description:
Amazon.com
Talk about truth in advertising! Irvine Welsh's novel about an evil Edinburgh cop is filthy enough to please the most crud-craving fans of his blockbuster debut, Trainspotting. Like Trainspotting, Filth matches its nastiness with a maniacal, deeply peeved sense of humor. Though one does feel the need to escape this train wreck of a narrative from time to time for a shower and some chamomile tea, just as often Welsh provokes a belly laugh with an extraordinarily perverse and cruelly funny set piece. Nicely violent turns of phrase litter the ghastly landscape of his tale.
Our hero, Detective Sergeant Bruce Robertson, is a cross between Harvey Keitel in Bad Lieutenant and John Belushi in Animal House. His task is to nab a killer who has brained the son of the Ghanaian ambassador, but bigoted Bruce is more urgently concerned with coercing sex from teenage Ecstasy dealers, planning vice tours of Amsterdam, and mulling over his lurid love life. He's also got a tapeworm, whose monologue is printed right down the middle of many pages. Here's one of this unusually articulate parasite's realizations: "My problem is that I seem to have quite a simple biological structure with no mechanism for the transference of all my grand and noble thoughts into fine deeds."

Welsh's real strength is comic tough talk and inventive slang. The murder mystery helps organize his tendency to sprawl, but the engine of his art is wry, harsh dialogue. At one point, his books hogged the entire top half of Scotland's Top Ten Bestsellers list--and half the buyers of Trainspotting had never bought a book before. The reason is not that Welsh is the best novelist who ever got short-listed for the Booker Prize. It is that he is that rarest of phenomena, an original voice. --Tim Appelo

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#73 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:17 AM

So I finally finished "A Feast for Crows" and have moved on to Wilbur Smith's newest "Taita" book The Quest. I will probably be reading a book on simplifying your life by throwing stuff out, I think it's called "It's All Too Much" or something similar next.
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#74 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:13 PM

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M Pirsig

Great book. I'm reading for a second time and am enjoying it just as much.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values is the first of Robert M. Pirsig's texts in which he explores the Metaphysics of quality. The 1974 book describes a seventeen-day motorcycle journey across the United States by an unnamed father and his son Chris, joined for nine days by John and Sylvia Sutherland, a befriended couple. The trip is punctuated by numerous philosophical discussions (many of them on epistemology and the philosophy of science) which the author refers to as chautauquas.
The book sold millions of copies in twenty-seven languages and was described by the press as "the most widely read philosophy book, ever."
The title is an incongruous play on the title of the book Zen in the Art of Archery by Eugen Herrigel. In its introduction, Pirsig explains that, despite its title, "it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#75 Statts

Statts

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 03:59 PM

Right now in reading The Ice Man: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer. Awesome book. If you like true crime your should look into it.
I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, I'm going to mop the floor with your face.
I said, You'll be sorry.
He said, Oh, yeah? Why?
I said, Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well.
-Emo Philips

#76 Lidstrom5 D-Man

Lidstrom5 D-Man

#5 ALIVE!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 04:05 PM

I'm reading WOODEN...it's about Coach John Wooden and his life and winning beliefs. smile.gif
Thank You, Steve Yzerman!

#77 interminded

interminded

Shiny Happy People

• HoF Booster
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE(Statts @ October 4, 2007 - 03:59PM) View Post

Right now in reading The Ice Man: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer. Awesome book. If you like true crime your should look into it.

Read it too !
Even bought the DVD with the interviews after I read the book.

A cold-blooded killer, but a fascinating individual...

I went to buy some camouflage pants the other day but I couldn't find any.

#78 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:38 PM

Time to dig this bad boy up from the dead.

I'm a little over halfway through Les MisÚrables right now and thoroughly enjoying it for several reasons:

- I've always loved Dickens and this is right up the same alley.

- I finally found a book that is a match for my voraciously fast reading. I read really quickly, it was a blessing in school but it's a curse whenever I want to read a book for enjoyment because I have to force myself to put it away otherwise it takes far too little time and I'm done before I know it. Example: One summer when I had nothing better to do, I blasted through Dune in about three days. I knocked out the last three-quarters of Deathly Hallows in about five hours. I wanted to put that away so I could at least enjoy it for three days but couldn't help myself.

- I wish I could have studied this book in high school English, although it's a bit long for that. When Hugo wants you to understand some bit of symbolism or what a character is like, he bludgeons you over the head with descriptions. It wouldn't take any work at all to write a paper on this stuff. It gets a little annoying sometimes because he describes to you exactly what every character is all about and takes like two or three pages doing it. Little Gavroche gets six, and this is a slightly abridged version. So you get a really good picture, which is nice, but on the other hand I could pretty well have formed my own opinion of the characters through their actions, because when Hugo isn't writing essays about characters and settings he's giving them interesting things to do.

- Hugo can write a sentence that takes up half a page and follow it up with one of just a few words and they're both equally descriptive.

I got this book over a week ago and it'll probably take me another week at least to finish, which is nice. I can't remember the last time I spent two weeks on a book I liked.
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#79 Lidstrom5 D-Man

Lidstrom5 D-Man

#5 ALIVE!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:19 PM

I'm in the middle of a few books...here are three of them:

Rich Dad's Prophecy by Robert Kiyosaki - financial forecasts from the 70s have come true
Leadership Gold by John Maxwell - just got into this one
The Magic of Thinking Big by David J. Schwartz - third time through...and learning more and more!
Thank You, Steve Yzerman!

#80 amberlynn25

amberlynn25

2nd Line Scorer

• Gold Booster
  • 521 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:24 PM

besides school books its just harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix...i cant get away from them. I dont want the story to end. so I keep reading them.
I get up every day, and I live. Everybody says you should live to the fullest, but what is it? No one knows until you come so close that you're not worried about anything else but being alive."~ Jiri Fischer
my heart belongs to a canadian!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users