#121 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:30 AM

"Spin" by Robert Charles Wilson.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#122 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:05 AM

I'm reading Persuasion by Jane Austen. Read it for a college class, liked it so much that I'm actually reading it again for fun. I love Pride and Prejudice, and I think it's kind of THE Jane Austen novel, but from a less objective perspective, I think I might actually like this one more. I like the whole second chance angle in this one.

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#123 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,072 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:10 PM

Re-reading the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin. The new book, A Dance With Dragons, comes out next month. Its been a while since I read the series so I wanted to freshen up before it comes out.

I was just going to post about this. I'm completely new to the series but just finished watching HBO's first season of Game of Thrones completely riveted by it. Ever since I got my iPhone a few months back I've been gobbling up books to read (I used to do it frequently years ago but got away from it because of the hassle of carrying a book around, but with the phone they're always with me). I, like Jack, am currently reading Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol but I'll have that finished this weekend in time to start the first of Martin's fantastic epic series. Before that I read Howard Wasdin's Seal Team Six.

#124 Never_Retire_Steve

Never_Retire_Steve

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:02 AM

World war Z

#125 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:15 PM

Got done reading The Lost Symbol recently, another one of Dan Brown's gems similar in action/adventure to his books The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons. Absolutely recommend reading it.

Also got done reading Sail, a book by James Patterson about a woman who was in a difficult marriage and whose husband died while they were having struggles, and she was having a hard time keeping her family/kids together. She re-married and had a family boating trip which the 2nd husband didn't go on, but insane circumstances slowly brought the family closer together. Another one definitely worth the read.

Currently reading The Hostage by W.E.B. Griffin, more of a war/history author. About the wife of an American Diplomat who is kidnapped in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and the President sends kinda a "Wild Card" person from the White House to help investigate. The "Wild Card" doubts himself often but does a helluva job gathering information and the like to make sure justice is served (probably about 2/5 of the way through the book so far).

#126 HOCKEY MATTERS

HOCKEY MATTERS

Nearly invisible now........you smell that?

• HoF Booster
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:28 PM

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, by Stephan R. Donaldson. Series of six books.

http://en.wikipedia...._the_Unbeliever

Probably the 5th or 6th ( maybe more) time I've read them. First book came out in 1977.
half the world is nuts...and the other half is crazy
"You can't chew yesterdays' breakfast." Jim Leyland
Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

Alternative to Google tracking you.... http://duckduckgo.com/

#127 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,072 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:50 PM

I was ultimately underwhelmed with The Lost Symbol and I'm engrossed in A Game of Thrones so far. Can't wait to get all caught up on this series...

#128 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:42 PM

I was ultimately underwhelmed with The Lost Symbol and I'm engrossed in A Game of Thrones so far. Can't wait to get all caught up on this series...

You'll have to let me know how you like the Ice and Fire series. I picked up the first book randomly years ago in a Borders (while waiting for my female companion to finish shopping elsewhere in the mall :lol: ) I read through the entire series in a weekend; only the first 3 books were out at the time. I'm not exactly an avid reader, so I've never blown through books that fast in my life!!

I'm about half way through Dance With Dragons... loving it so far.

Edited by ACallToArms, 14 July 2011 - 09:42 PM.

#129 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:18 PM

What didn't you like about the Lost Symbol? Not trying to dog you, I did the same thing twice with the book I'm currently reading (and that I now am enjoying), mainly because there were so many characters/confusion, etc.

#130 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:12 PM

Just finished A Civil Action. One of the greatest books relating to law and lawyers
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#131 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:37 PM

1961*: The Inside Story of the Maris-Mantle Home Run Chase - Phil Pepe.
Wow; fifty-years ago.
Minutiae: According to the book, 1961 was the first year since 1881 which reads the same both right-side-up and upside down and will be the last until...

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#132 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:26 PM

The Beatles: All These Years Vol. 1, Tune In - Mark Lewisohn.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#133 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:32 PM

All I read is Twitter and my text messages. I hate books and books hate me.

hadthomasvokounonfortst.jpg
Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#134 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:03 PM

I just finished Iscariot by Tosca Lee.  It's a novelized piece of guesswork about the life of Judas Iscariot and how he might have thought and felt about Jesus.  What struck me most was how it showed exactly how revolutionary Jesus was according to Jewish law.  When Jesus healed a leper, or healed someone on the Sabbath, or talked to a woman, or anything else the strict Jewish laws frowned upon, Judas said something like "a good man would have sent them away/not done that, but of course Jesus did."

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#135 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,607 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:27 AM

"Patrick Roy: Winning, Nothing Else."

Blasphemy, I know. But still a very interesting read.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#136 _SP_

_SP_

Rookie

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:06 PM

Just finished reading the Harry Potter series.  All seven books in 10 days... I get totally engulfed and spend hours and hours at a time reading, my fiancee hates it.  Going through and re-reading Angels & Demons, DaVinci Code, The Lost Symbol, Deception Point, and Digital Fortress.  I JUST found out he released a followup to the Langdon series, Inferno, last year.  So I'll read D.P. and D.F. (they aren't in the series, they are totally different characters) and then roll through the other four.  I tell ya, DaVinci Code is his most famous, but Angels & Demons blows it and all others out of the water.  That was an incredible adventure with excitement, fear, puzzles, heartache, etc. etc.  Definitely the #2 book I've ever read (H.P. is #1 for me).

#137 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,607 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:18 AM

Unlike just about everyone I knew growing up, I never read any of the Harry Potter books. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#138 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:38 PM

This books were way to long!

Edited by HadThomasVokounOnFortSt, 13 July 2014 - 10:39 PM.

hadthomasvokounonfortst.jpg
Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#139 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:04 PM

I just finished Frankenstein, am currently re-reading Dracula, and starting The Jungle by Sinclair simultaneously. I'm on a bit of a classics kick. A nice break from endless history books. Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users