• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingsfan979802

Grigorenko Article

Rate this topic

Interesting to hear about Howard needing to impress this camp.

A local paper (I'm in Calgary for the summer) mentioned that Kipper was made an offer by the Flames brass that he turned down. The article went on to say that Kipper wants to test the free agent market and said Calgary would have to make him a much higher offer before training camp starts.

I think making a huge move for Kipper is high priority. He obviously wants a chance at winning the cup and we've seen he's more then able to steal multiple playoff games on his own.

I wonder if Holland could convince Lids to take a paycut on his remaining years (as well as get Maltby and Draper to take cuts)? If we can nail Z down to a 7 year 5.5-6 mill contract and cut back on Lids while still nailing him down maybe we could make Kipper a big enough long term offer to get a franchise goalie here for the next 7 years!

A local paper (I'm in Calgary for the summer) mentioned that Kipper was made an offer by the Flames brass that he turned down. The article went on to say that Kipper wants to test the free agent market and said Calgary would have to make him a much higher offer before training camp starts.

I think making a huge move for Kipper is high priority. He obviously wants a chance at winning the cup and we've seen he's more then able to steal multiple playoff games on his own.

I wonder if Holland could convince Lids to take a paycut on his remaining years (as well as get Maltby and Draper to take cuts)? If we can nail Z down to a 7 year 5.5-6 mill contract and cut back on Lids while still nailing him down maybe we could make Kipper a big enough long term offer to get a franchise goalie here for the next 7 years!

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. I'd trade Howard and then some if we could get Kipper on a sign and trade.

EDIT: Just to make this on topic - I am sad to say that Grigs was probably over-hyped. At the rate he was scoring in Russia (with no drop off) he'd be a 20 goal scorer. He's already 25, so I don't know if he'll progress much more physically.

Edited by Turretin

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. I'd trade Howard and then some if we could get Kipper on a sign and trade.

EDIT: Just to make this on topic - I am sad to say that Grigs was probably over-hyped. At the rate he was scoring in Russia (with no drop off) he'd be a 20 goal scorer. He's already 25, so I don't know if he'll progress much more physically.

That would be sweet!

Maybe if Calgary's struggling down the stretch the Flames will be forced to do with Kipersoff what the Oil did to Smyth. But I have a feeling that they'll go right into July 1st trying to resign him. Flames without Kipersoff=bottom 10 team.

But I'd love to see Kipersoff here. Who knows if Lids takes a home-town discount. But he might if he knew that Kipersoff was in the plans. We could easily win a Cup with him and our current roster.

Calgary would never trade Kipper to Detroit.

Detroit would have to sign him next summer as a UFA.

Also, lets wait and see how Howard plays this season in the AHL.

It would be nice to have a capable #1 goalie in Howard with a small salary. It would be nice to see a young Wings team develope together (Filpulla, Grigorneko, Howard, Kindl, Helm, Abdlekader, Quincey, Ericcson, etc.)

well with kindl and quincey knocking on the door, maybe one of them will push lilja out of the 6th spot and the Wings will be forced to move him. I really hope this happens :D It's good to hear these guys are going to get the chance to make the team this year out of camp. :thumbup:

Guest DetroitIan

Honestly, Im really excited to FINALLY have Grigs coming to the U.S. But Im keeping my expectations somewhat low for now. I do think Igor can be a productive NHLer. But if anyone thinks he is gonna come to the team and immediately make a big impact, think again. It's gonna take a little time. So Im just gonna be patient and hope for the best.

He's already 25, so I don't know if he'll progress much more physically.

At 5'10" and 210lbs, I'm sure his physique is not an issue. His skating I think is what they are going to be keeping an eye on and hoping they can help him progress that last 10% to get to where he was before the accident. The new NHL, as we all know, is based much more on skating ability and speed. Grigs was a really good skater before the accident and has done a tremendous job getting back to where he was but he is still not to where he was in terms of skating.

well with kindl and quincey knocking on the door, maybe one of them will push lilja out of the 6th spot and the Wings will be forced to move him. I really hope this happens :D It's good to hear these guys are going to get the chance to make the team this year out of camp. :thumbup:

Lilja's contract is up after this season so my feeling is that if he is rotated in and out again this season like he was last, he will probably not want to re-sign this offseason. With Holland being smart enough to realize that, I would think he would just move Lilja at the deadline to another team who wants him as a depth d-man to carry into the playoffs, a la Cory Cross or Jamie Rivers. All we would get for him is probably a mid to late round draft pick, though.

That would be sweet!

We could easily win a Cup with him and our current roster.

Calgary would never trade Kipper to Detroit.

QFT. And Hank... there's no doubt about that! They may as well pencil us in, and that is the truth.

We would never get Kipper though. He'll probably go to the East if they make a trade (Calg still wants to be a competitive team after all) and if he became a FA some team would probably drop a contract on him large enough to make Briere blush. Hank -and- Lids would have to take some discounts to pull that one off.

If it did happen though... f*** yeah!

Edited by Flip-check

QFT. And Hank... there's no doubt about that! They may as well pencil us in, and that is the truth.

We would never get Kipper though. He'll probably go to the East if they make a trade (Calg still wants to be a competitive team after all) and if he became a FA some team would probably drop a contract on him large enough to make Briere blush. Hank -and- Lids would have to take some discounts to pull that one off.

If it did happen though... f*** yeah!

I only saw it possible if Calgary had NO chance of signing him and wanted something back while Kipper wanted to go here badly and we were willing to make it sweet for the Flames.

In the end we all know rivalry isn't a 100% killer of the opertunistic trade, it just hurts it badly.

I only saw it possible if Calgary had NO chance of signing him and wanted something back while Kipper wanted to go here badly and we were willing to make it sweet for the Flames.

In the end we all know rivalry isn't a 100% killer of the opertunistic trade, it just hurts it badly.

It'd be great if Kipper started to put Detroit on the list as "teams to go to", but right, aside from that a trade's only if there's no chance.

I know that if I were Flames management though, I'd put that gamestealer as far away from my club as possible. Calgary and SJ seriously played awful to us these playoffs and had so much more to them, but neither would have a chance even at 100% if we had that guy.

I'd seriously go nuts if we picked him up. I can't articulate to any of you guys how I'd just lose it like we had won the Cup already.

"He'll have a big adjustment anyway with the language and living issues," Nill continued. "It's all in how he adapts. We think he'll be a really good second-line guy that might suit Datsyuk. He has the potential to be a star, but it's one day at a time to start. For instance, if we want him to go to the minors to catch up with the speed, how does he accept that? It won't do him any good to struggle up here and not play much. A lot of Europeans don't respect the AHL, but four weeks in the minors might be the best way to get up to NHL speed."

Nill probably means once he's become familiar with the Wings/NHL game and adjusted to it, but I like hearing it from top management.

And that might be the best plan for Grigorenko to set him with the Griffs before November rolls around.

Ryan Miller will be a Detroit Red Wing.

Haha, I was just going to post this.

what makes you so sure?

Ryan Miller has made it public and reiterated it many times that its his dream to play for the Detroit Red Wings. Hes made several comments in the press over the years that talk about how Detroit would be his #1 choice as a UFA.

EDIT: And for those of you who dont know, Ryan Miller was born in Michigan and played college hockey at MSU

Edited by YoungGuns1340

I don't think so unless we run into more problems with out net minders.

It makes more sense that he WILL than that he wont, actually, given when he becomes a free agent.

Nick Lidstrom will not be playing in the NHL until hes a Grandaddy like Chelios. Its very likely that he could retire after this season, or after the 08/09 season. If he plays for the 09/10 season, hell be 40, and thats very doubtful for a Dman that has won all kinds of accolades, is a family man, and has talked a lot throughout his career about moving back to Sweden, which he loves. Lidstrom leaving the Wings will at least clear up 5M in cash, if not 6M, which is around the type of cash that Miller would command. Not to mention, at that point Detroit will likely have at least 3 young, inexpensive Dmen who will also compensate for the cash for Miller (Lebda, Quincey, and Kindl) As for goaltending, Howard likely wont even see any susbtantial NHL time until 08/09, and at that point, he wont have solidified his career as a starter.

Basically, unless Howard gets a good 30 games this year and proves to be an absolute phenom NOW, or Lidstrom decides to play til hes 40, the Wings will have both the SPACE and the MONEY to sign Miller.

Not to mention, if Miller IS signed to a long term contract with the Wings when he becomes a UFA (5 years?) AND Howard proves to be a real solid goaltender, then Detroit has a stacked goaltending position, and a huge trade asset in Howard.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

It makes more sense that he WILL than that he wont, actually, given when he becomes a free agent.

Nick Lidstrom will not be playing in the NHL until hes a Grandaddy like Chelios. Its very likely that he could retire after this season, or after the 08/09 season. If he plays for the 09/10 season, hell be 40, and thats very doubtful for a Dman that has won all kinds of accolades, is a family man, and has talked a lot throughout his career about moving back to Sweden, which he loves. Lidstrom leaving the Wings will at least clear up 5M in cash, if not 6M, which is around the type of cash that Miller would command. Not to mention, at that point Detroit will likely have at least 3 young, inexpensive Dmen who will also compensate for the cash for Miller (Lebda, Quincey, and Kindl) As for goaltending, Howard likely wont even see any susbtantial NHL time until 08/09, and at that point, he wont have solidified his career as a starter.

Basically, unless Howard gets a good 30 games this year and proves to be an absolute phenom NOW, or Lidstrom decides to play til hes 40, the Wings will have both the SPACE and the MONEY to sign Miller.

Not to mention, if Miller IS signed to a long term contract with the Wings when he becomes a UFA (5 years?) AND Howard proves to be a real solid goaltender, then Detroit has a stacked goaltending position, and a huge trade asset in Howard.

plus, that vanek signing didn't help buffalo with the money problems they're going ot have when some of those other young guys on there roster come of age.

plus, that vanek signing didn't help buffalo with the money problems they're going ot have when some of those other young guys on there roster come of age.

Yup. Roy, Pominville, and Stafford will all cost a pretty penny, but even moreso since Buffalo ownership likes to have a self-imposed salary cap usually a good 5M below the actual cap, if not more. Not to mention Buffalos "we dont negotiate contracts during the season" policy.

Even with all that, its Millers confession that playing for the Red Wings would be a dream for him is what makes me think its a serious possibility. That and, if Nick Lidstrom retires, Wings management knows their defense takes a huge hit that cant be replaced. But getting an elite goaltender could help fix that. I dont think anyone would think much of a Red Wings team going into 09/10 with Howard as a starter, or some other stop gap, and no Nick Lidstrom, should he retire.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

Just saying it again... Howard will not be the next Osgood (The last goalie to come up through the Wings system and play full time for them.)

As for the rest of the article... kinda worried about 3 of the players mentioned had more than minor health issues, but things look good for the future.