• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingMachine91

for all of you that want the nhl back on espn

Rate this topic

its eklund, but if theres any truth to this, this is great news!

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=8670

A source has told me that ESPN is desperate to get back into the hockey game, and has let it be known. Versus has the NHL this season and the option to re-up for another 3 years...I am being told that Versus is on the fence and the NHL may offer up a package of games to Versus, while returning the majority of the deal to ESPN next season. In essence this could give the NHL its biggest presence to date on National TV in the US. NBC for the weekend games and finals, ESPN and ESPN2 for the majority of the season games and playoffs, and Versus (who by the way, may become a vehicle for the NHL Network in the US) will have a Game of the Week similar to the deal that TNT has in the NBA.

A source has told me that ESPN is desperate to get back into the hockey game, and has let it be known. Versus has the NHL this season and the option to re-up for another 3 years...I am being told that Versus is on the fence and the NHL may offer up a package of games to Versus, while returning the majority of the deal to ESPN next season. In essence this could give the NHL its biggest presence to date on National TV in the US. NBC for the weekend games and finals, ESPN and ESPN2 for the majority of the season games and playoffs, and Versus (who by the way, may become a vehicle for the NHL Network in the US) will have a Game of the Week similar to the deal that TNT has in the NBA.

If there was ever a time I wanted Eklund to be right, it is now.

i pray he's serious about it...

but better news for me is the news that Centre Ice is going to be online...and WORLDWIDE!

Edited by Cicada

Awww this would be sweet! I remember years ago when I used to come back from Wings games, I'd turn on ESPN and i'd fall asleep to 2 western teams playing...good times and a great nights' sleep :)

This would be good for hockey, but as a Wings fan who doesn't live in Detroit, I don't mind if the nhl stays on Versus where they show 2 playoff games a night. Espn won't do that anymore even if hockey comes back on their network. Besides, all 18 Wings playoff games were televised last year, so I don't mind things staying the way they are, despite the league's best interests on being on espn.

LOL, that right there makes me laugh off the whole article. The NHL would have to PAY ESPN to get back on there!

LOL, that right there makes me laugh off the whole article. The NHL would have to PAY ESPN to get back on there!

i agree with lou here, right when i saw that word 'desperate', i knew this wasn't going to be true. i wish it was though.

Edited by wingsfan979802

I hope this is true as well. I kind of doubt that ESPN is "desperate" to get hockey back, but maybe they'll bring back NHL2Night if they do....always a fun show. And assuming the NHL stays on Vs. and NBC as well, it'll be just that much more exposure. Sorry, Melrose-haters, but watching Barry Melrose on TV is a tiny price to pay for the exposure and revenue that ESPN would bring.

The first two words that popped into my head when I read the first post were:

Gary Thorne

I can't stand listening to him. But I would love to see hockey on ESPN again, though.

are u kidding, one of the things i miss the most is gary thorne yelling SCOREEEE! him and Clement are the best announcing duo and i miss them announcing. so that would be great if they brought them back. also the music of nhl on espn was the greatest.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

If there was ever a time I wanted Eklund to be right, it is now.

So agreed. even if Espn treated it as a second tier sport it still got much better viewership and exposure. ESPN Knows how to cross market their product which makes it great when they carry your sport and the devil when it dosent.

Gary Thorne

I can't stand listening to him. But I would love to see hockey on ESPN again, though.

I think Thorne is terrific. One of the best announcers there is. But I don't know whether he'd be available to do hockey for ESPN - at least, maybe not playoff hockey, because he's currently doing local TV for the Baltimore Orioles.

Gary Thorne

I think Thorne is terrific. One of the best announcers there is. But I don't know whether he'd be available to do hockey for ESPN - at least, maybe not playoff hockey, because he's currently doing local TV for the Baltimore Orioles.

For my personal sake, Red Wings and NHL games could be on the Cartoon Network for all I care, as long as it is on some station that I can watch.

I certainly don't mind games on VS, they seem to really give a lot of attention to the sport with their broadcasts, they sometimes go to broacasts on TSN/CBC, they show hockey-reated movies every now and then, etc.

There'd be more competition if it gets back on ESPN obviously, but it'll definitely be mpre availabile to watch in more homes as fast. And, contrary to popular belief in here, ESPN doesn't stink up the joint.

I'm not expecting this to happen anytime soon though.

ESPN desperate to get the NHL back? Hah, that's bulls***.

During the season, they show hockey highlights on SportsCenter for a grand total of 20 seconds, while basketball highlights steal up the whole show. There is no way ESPN actually wants the NHL back. I'm sure they are aware of the horrible TV ratings during this years SCF.

I can't believe you guys actually believe what Eklund is saying. This is the same guy that said the Flyers were going to sign Teemu Selanne, and also said Ryan Smyth was a sure fire to re-sign in Edmonton.

ESPN does not want or need the NHL back. Fact is, they can show poker, bowling, or MLS, and get comparable or better ratings from that garbage than they would from hockey. Putting the NHL on ESPN isn't going to make people watch hockey. Is the exposure better? Sure it is. ESPN won't magically change the dismal ratings that the NHL always has.

There really is no such thing as a casual fan when it comes to hockey. Most people don't stop and watch it in the United States, like they do with football or baseball. The fans that love the game will watch it, regardless of what channel it is broadcast on. I could care less if the NHL ever comes back to ESPN. As long as the Red Wings are on some channel, I'm going to watch.

This is from Eklund? It's drivel. The NHL has a better chance of getting on CSPAN than on ESPN.

And, GARY THORNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and Steve "Mar Tan Bro Door" Levy are AWFUL. I could call a better game through my butt hole.

Edited by joshy207