• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SouthernWingsFan

Best foot forward

Rate this topic

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ...tzky/index.html

A very good, brief article by SI.com's Darron Eliot in response to the recent Michael Vick drama, largely on how it is "odd" that the NFL and the NBA seem to cause the most drama off the playing field, but it is still watched, while most hockey players, along with Major League Soccer, are clean and easily approachable, and how hockey gets an unfair rap by many.

EDIT: I created this same thread more/less but I f'ed up the title in the original obviously...merge or eliminate that thread completely. My bad and thanks!

Bumping this one up as it seems to be the properly titled one :P

But yeah, good article, I;ve been preaching such for a good long while now, glad to see some real press covering the issue.

I'm not sure hockey players are necessarily better than other pro athletes...

But I definitely agree that they don't get into as much trouble as the rest do. I don't think this is as much about "hockey players being classier" as it's football and basketball being more popular fan sports though, thus the players get more popularity themselves.

Hockey players aren't stars like that, but if they were I wouldn't be surprised at the same antics.

The "thug" life/attitude oozes in the NFL, & NBA; where as the NHL for the most part is pretty squeeky clean in comparison.

Exactly. America LOVES thugs--at least the young, money-spending population does. Just look at the way middle- and high-school boys dress and act...

The "thug" life/attitude oozes in the NFL, & NBA; where as the NHL for the most part is pretty squeeky clean in comparison.

Too bad the American public as a whole doesn't embrace the "Canadian" attitude we see (and take for granted) in our beloved game of ice hockey ie - hard work, honesty, being modest, being sincere, & of course class AKA STEVE YZERMAN :thumbup:

I hear what you're saying about "thug" life, although I don't know what you mean -exactly- with the use of the word thug... I think you probably just mean "bad boy" and not "thuuuugggggggghhhh *grabs a glock*" but who knows :P

I just mean though if ice hockey were as popular a sport, we'd probably see the same public horseplay. NCAA hockey players are totally not the university campus scenesters that everyone loves... but college football and basketball players? They're the center of every party.

They just don't have the same kind of star power, so less people really care. I'd like to think hockey players are classier, but I really don't think they are, at least not because of who they are.

I hear what you're saying about "thug" life, although I don't know what you mean -exactly- with the use of the word thug... I think you probably just mean "bad boy" and not "thuuuugggggggghhhh *grabs a glock*" but who knows :P

I just mean though if ice hockey were as popular a sport, we'd probably see the same public horseplay. NCAA hockey players are totally not the university campus scenesters that everyone loves... but college football and basketball players? They're the center of every party.

They just don't have the same kind of star power, so less people really care. I'd like to think hockey players are classier, but I really don't think they are, at least not because of who they are.

Maybe I'm letting a bunch of bad apples spoil them all, but I think hockey players are *generally* classier than football or basketball players. Hockey is a sport that requires a lot of time and commitment, as well as a lot of family time spent together. Practice and games involve a car ride to and from, where a lot of football/basketball practices are after school and the kids can walk home, plus hockey is an 8- to 12-month season, where the other sports are over in 3 months or less. Most hockey players don't have the time or the desire to get into trouble--not that some don't, for sure. And there are PLENTY of good people in basketball and football, but we don't hear about them as much as the ones in trouble. Another factor could be that hockey isn't as big of a high school or college sport, so the star player with the horrible grades isn't given an A to keep him eligible for the championship game, or his legal troubles aren't swept under the rug. Most of the top hockey players are in junior hockey, where grades aren't a factor.

Exactly. America LOVES thugs--at least the young, money-spending population does. Just look at the way middle- and high-school boys dress and act...

Very true statement. Probably one of the reasons why the NFL and NBA are the two most popular sports in America. It's funny saying that too, considering baseball was once considered America's Pastime. Now, it's really not as popular as it used to be.

The majority of people in the NFL are thugs, and very rarely do you find a classy person. Obviously you have the exceptions, like Barry Sanders being a good guy, but the majority of people in the NFL all do drugs on a regular basis. That being one reason why it's so popular.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Too bad the American public as a whole doesn't embrace the "Canadian" attitude we see (and take for granted) in our beloved game of ice hockey ie - hard work, honesty, being modest, being sincere, & of course class AKA STEVE YZERMAN :thumbup:

These are the reasons why I have always been a hockey fan, & could care less about the "other" pro leagues.

This has alot to do with race. That may be a touchy subject and we may not like to think in such terms but it boils down to race. Sure these guys are millionaires and they're famous and they get paid to play sports. That doesn't change a couple of very basic things. 1. There's a large percentage of blacks in the NFL and the NBA. 2. A great many of those players came from not what I would call silver spoon backgrounds. And let me state beforehand that i'm not trying to paint all black players with the same brush, as i'm not. That being said there's alot of black players that hang out with their black pals and they do what they most likely did when they weren't pro athletes, ie... they may smoke pot, go clubbing, own guns, have testosterone raging bodyguards with no sense of humor, etc.......Whereas none of these things are inherently wrong, you lump these things together, couple that with the huge discrepency between the number of black players in those 2 sports versus the NHL and you could probably find some causality there. It may not be PC and some might call me a racist (which would be too funny if you knew me) but unfortunately it is probably true. Living in Cincinnati i've seen firsthand the trouble the Bengals players have had and it's like a broken record. These guys keep getting mixed up in the same dumb bulls***.

Also, there is something to do with the "culture" of those sports. I mean you don't see Kevin Weeks or even tougher guys like Iginla and Brashear and Laraque in the news for being moronic in public.

I've thought about this a great deal ever since I got into hockey. For some reason or another, hockey atheletes are just more humble and well-mannered people than that of NFL or NBA stars. It truly is sad that the NBA dominates the NHL, but people love hearing good gossip. Similarly, the Vick issue is an American media dream. Sad.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

The NBA and NFL are corrupt because in college those sports are the big draws hence they will accept anybody despite grades or crime history. Another thing is hockey players pretty much have to dedicate thier lives to hockey so theres no time to goof off.

These are the reasons why I have always been a hockey fan, & could care less about the "other" pro leagues.

That's why I have my kids playing hockey. If they insist on looking up to an athlete, I would rather they have a hockey player as an example than any other major pro athlete. Better that they are missing a few teeth than try to impress their friends with a mouthful of gold ones.

This has alot to do with race. That may be a touchy subject and we may not like to think in such terms but it boils down to race. Sure these guys are millionaires and they're famous and they get paid to play sports. That doesn't change a couple of very basic things. 1. There's a large percentage of blacks in the NFL and the NBA. 2. A great many of those players came from not what I would call silver spoon backgrounds. And let me state beforehand that i'm not trying to paint all black players with the same brush, as i'm not. That being said there's alot of black players that hang out with their black pals and they do what they most likely did when they weren't pro athletes, ie... they may smoke pot, go clubbing, own guns, have testosterone raging bodyguards with no sense of humor, etc.......Whereas none of these things are inherently wrong, you lump these things together, couple that with the huge discrepency between the number of black players in those 2 sports versus the NHL and you could probably find some causality there. It may not be PC and some might call me a racist (which would be too funny if you knew me) but unfortunately it is probably true. Living in Cincinnati i've seen firsthand the trouble the Bengals players have had and it's like a broken record. These guys keep getting mixed up in the same dumb bulls***.

Also, there is something to do with the "culture" of those sports. I mean you don't see Kevin Weeks or even tougher guys like Iginla and Brashear and Laraque in the news for being moronic in public.

I don't think it has anything to do with race, but I do think the issue is socio-economic. There are a lot of football and basketball players that grew up seeing pro sports as their way out. Football and basketball are cheaper sports to get into. Hockey is a very expensive sport, so the people who make it to the NHL grew up with different lifestyles and different expectations.

I don't think it has anything to do with race, but I do think the issue is socio-economic. There are a lot of football and basketball players that grew up seeing pro sports as their way out. Football and basketball are cheaper sports to get into. Hockey is a very expensive sport, so the people who make it to the NHL grew up with different lifestyles and different expectations.

Agreed.

Yes kids can play pond hockey, but basically to grow up playing it, it's a family affair. You've got to have the money to shell out for a fair amount of equipment, have someone to drive you to the rink (often at miserable hours) for practices and games. Football and basketball are much more tied to the school systems.

Funny topic, I have thought alot on this..... I think it has to do with the difference in whether a family unit is involved..... kids who play hockey. and advance.... they have a strong family, it takes an investment of time and money by the family to advance in hockey. Often the family sacrifices so that the child can play. A hockey player does not make it to the NHL on his own, there are any number of people who contributed to his success. Football, Basketball, the kid can take it from an early age all by himself. No one to get up at 5 am on a Saturday to get him to the rink, give up evenings and the rest of the weekend so the kid can play. This gives a sense of interconnectedness and responsibility. The hockey kid knows much was given, so sees a responsibility to pay back. The other two, well, they made it on their own, no help, often on only God given talent. The NFL and NBA players that are most like hockey players, ( the gentlemen of these sports) had close connections to at least one family member..... the thugs, they don't have anybody.

Another thing is that, at least to my knowledge, the system for young hockey players isn't as twisted and tainted by vultures as it is for the NBA and NHL. Kids being recruited in Jr. High, etc.

Good point, I also suspect that a strong support system can make a difference here too.