• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Kp-Wings

Yashin signs deal in Russia

Rate this topic

I know hindsight is 20/20 and all but how did the Islanders ever think Yashin was worth:

The Islanders signed Yashin to a US$87.5 million, 10-year deal in 2001 after acquiring from Ottawa in exchange for top defenceman Zdeno Chara, a first-round pick the Senators used to draft top-line centre Jason Spezza , and winger Bill Muckalt.

It's equally crazy to me that he'd rather play in an inferior league for a bit more money -while already being paid by the Islanders to not be on their roster- instead of the best league with by far the best trophy in sports. I guess that's where the phrase "good riddance to bad rubbish" comes in.

Guest DetroitIan

Good riddance. Yashin is clearly all about the $$. So I hope he has a blast playing in a far inferior league. What a bum. Im glad he's gone. This move just shows the kind of character Yashin has. I could care less if he ever returns. Peace Yashin.

I know hindsight is 20/20 and all but how did the Islanders ever think Yashin was worth:

It's equally crazy to me that he'd rather play in an inferior league for a bit more money -while already being paid by the Islanders to not be on their roster- instead of the best league with by far the best trophy in sports. I guess that's where the phrase "good riddance to bad rubbish" comes in.

It just shows you what kind of character Yashin has. He's always been about the $$$ first. Unfortunately, there's too many Russian players that are like that.

It just shows you what kind of character Yashin has. He's always been about the $$$ first. Unfortunately, there's too many Russian players that are like that.

...and that's where the typical Russian stereotype comes in.

I feel bad for guys like Vladdy, Larionov, Fetisov, Pavel and Valeri Bure, and other Russians that has been accused of being greedy and lazy by someone just off the stereotype, when they really aren't at all. Unfourtantly, because of losers like Yashin, they get that stereotype.

The fact he is already making almost 3 million from NY Islanders, and still leaves to Russia for more money is just disgusting. Good riddance.

...and that's where the typical Russian stereotype comes in.

I feel bad for guys like Vladdy, Larionov, Fetisov, Pavel and Valeri Bure, and other Russians that has been accused of being greedy and lazy by someone just off the stereotype, when they really aren't at all. Unfourtantly, because of losers like Yashin, they get that stereotype.

The fact he is already making almost 3 million from NY Islanders, and still leaves to Russia for more money is just disgusting. Good riddance.

I'm sorry. I shouldn't have painted all Russians with the same brush.

There have been a lot of great Russians play in this NHL (and currently do) that love the game and genuinly care about winning and competeting in the best league in the world. Players like Larionov, Konstantinov, Pavel Bure, Fetisov, etc. Unfortunately there are a number of Europeans that have come across seeking only the mighty $$$. I can't say I blame them as some have come from horrible means and living conditions. Also, a lot of them didn't grow up with the Stanley Cup and what it means to North American hockey players.

But in Yashin's case, it's quite obvious that the guy would rather chase the dollar than an opposing player.

There was actually a minute there I wanted him to come to Detroit, but then that statement his agent made crying about how much money he was being offered and how he would go back to Russia was very sobering, and at this point I hope he stays in Russia.

Good riddance, but the RSL owners/coaches will get sick of him too. Hopefully at that point he retires.

There was actually a minute there I wanted him to come to Detroit, but then that statement his agent made crying about how much money he was being offered and how he would go back to Russia was very sobering, and at this point I hope he stays in Russia.

Good riddance, but the RSL owners/coaches will get sick of him too. Hopefully at that point he retires.

I wonder if his former supermodel girlfriend Carol Alt will like visiting him in Russia? ;)

I'm not attacking your point of view at all, so please dont' think that, but I wanted to quote this to share my opinion.

I honestly think that Yashin has some issues that he needs to work out. I think that his priorities are a little off right now. But my wish isn't for him to dissapear and never come back. My wish isn't for him to retire. My wish, whether practical or not, is for him to go over there and learn some humility and come back to the NHL and be both a great player and a great man.

I just can't wish the worst for anyone. So in Yashin's case... I hope he grows and that Russia is an amazing experience for who he is.

I honestly think that Yashin has some issues that he needs to work out. I think that his priorities are a little off right now. But my wish isn't for him to dissapear and never come back. My wish isn't for him to retire. My wish, whether practical or not, is for him to go over there and learn some humility and come back to the NHL and be both a great player and a great man.

I think that after this long, it's extremely unlikely. He'd seriously have to be blackballed everywhere to have it impact him.

Sometimes humility takes a real slap in the face to get through to somebody.

I think that after this long, it's extremely unlikely. He'd seriously have to be blackballed everywhere to have it impact him.

Sometimes humility takes a real slap in the face to get through to somebody.

Agreed that humility sometimes needs to be hard. But I feel like, even if the chance is slim, that something changes inside of him.

Perhaps it's not practical at all. But I gotta have hope for the dude. It sucks to see him doing some of the stuff he does. I don't want that for him, you know?

Agreed that humility sometimes needs to be hard. But I feel like, even if the chance is slim, that something changes inside of him.

Perhaps it's not practical at all. But I gotta have hope for the dude. It sucks to see him doing some of the stuff he does. I don't want that for him, you know?

I know, it'd be nice to see and besides that, it'd improve his career - and his life. But he probably got his money, even if he's off in Russia, so there probably won't be anything making him feel majorly reflective.

He'd seriously have to play in a really awful place to even start thinking, and that's only if he couldn't play anywhere else lest he face retirement. That's when the money gears would stop ticking in Yashin's noggin.

--

"Right now the city is electric, everyone is excited, the arena will be packed and Alexei will play hard."

The 33-year-old Yashin was an unrestricted free agent after the New York Islanders bought out the remaining four years of his 10-year contract.

All the same though, Locomotiv is getting a good player for their league, there's no doubt about that.

I know, it'd be nice to see and besides that, it'd improve his career - and his life. But he probably got his money, even if he's off in Russia, so there probably won't be anything making him feel majorly reflective.

He'd seriously have to play in a really awful place to even start thinking, and that's only if he couldn't play anywhere else lest he face retirement. That's when the money gears would stop ticking in Yashin's noggin.

--

"Right now the city is electric, everyone is excited, the arena will be packed and Alexei will play hard."

The 33-year-old Yashin was an unrestricted free agent after the New York Islanders bought out the remaining four years of his 10-year contract.

All the same though, Locomotiv is getting a good player for their league, there's no doubt about that.

External things could happen. I definitely don't wish anything disasterous for him, but look at Fisch (not suggesting he was greedy or anything). But stuff can happen outside of the hockey world to humble you. Including self awareness. Yes, I think you are right on the spot, that it is impractical. But it is possible.

good riddance! don't let the door hit you in the back!

and BTW: as much as I can't stand Cherry and his bold statements and biased opinions, his "Euros need to go" is fit on in this case. Yashin's been epithome of why it is not worth to pamper Russian primadonnas with overbown egos.

Edited by akustyk

I know... it always is, I get what you're saying. "So long as there's breath, there's hope" -- which matters.

Lets just hope Holland doesn't look at this like a challenge and pay double to buy out his contract to bring him to Detroit!

Ilitch: hmm, looks like they paid him $4.5mill usd, even if they didn't publically reveal the figure.

Kenny: ....

Mike: No, Ken, I see the look on your face here. Not gonna happen.

Kenny: ........

Mike: Look, I know, we're both men cut from similar cloth. Pick a path and take a gamble. If you gotta climb Kilimanjaro though, do it with some other mountain. This one won't chew you up and spit your body back out down the slopes, but it will eat your money and s*** it back down the toilet.

Kenny: ...BUT WE HAVE TO GIVE HIM ONE MORE CHANCE, MAN! *points to the TSN.CA profiles of Bertuzzi, Drake, and Hasek on his smartphone*

Mike: *reaches over and pats Holland on the shoulder, shares a moment of consoling silence*

I'm sorry. I shouldn't have painted all Russians with the same brush.

There have been a lot of great Russians play in this NHL (and currently do) that love the game and genuinly care about winning and competeting in the best league in the world. Players like Larionov, Konstantinov, Pavel Bure, Fetisov, etc. Unfortunately there are a number of Europeans that have come across seeking only the mighty $$$. I can't say I blame them as some have come from horrible means and living conditions. Also, a lot of them didn't grow up with the Stanley Cup and what it means to North American hockey players.

But in Yashin's case, it's quite obvious that the guy would rather chase the dollar than an opposing player.

Oh no, I wasn't directing that at you. I was just speaking in general terms.

There are quite a few Russians, like the names I mentioned, that get branded as lazy greedy jerks that don't care, when really, they're not that at all. They care about the game of hockey, and they care about winning a Stanley Cup. They shouldn't be given a bad name just because they come from the same country as some of the true losers, like Yashin.

Oh well. I doubt that stereotype will chance anytime soon in the general public. That's just the way people are I guess, especially when it comes to Russians.

Guest nutz2u

In one of the interviews with Grigorenko it was mentioned that he had not recieved all of the money owed to him for last season, and that it was getting more common for s*** like that happening in the Russian leagues. Be pretty funny if Yashin ended up with less than he was offered over here.

Why is everyone assuming that Yashin would be making more money in Yaroslavl than he could have gotten here?

Do any of you know what were the reported offers he received from NJ and Ottawa? If not, then all of you are just running your mouth without any info. I thought that Americans believed in "innocent until proven guilty"?

Could it be that Yashin liked the respect that Lokomotiv Yaroslavl showed him, when the NHL clubs tried to lowball him (if that was indeed the case)?

Also, what does the buyout money have to do with anything? For instance, would any of you expect to immediately get lower salary in your job, just because you get an inheritance or win the lottery?

Very few NHLers are hurting for money. Does that mean that they all have to play for a minimum wage, since they have other sources of income? If a player gets a lucrative endorsment deal, does his team have a right to lower his salary by a corresponding amount, or expect him to accept a lower contract next time he signs?

My mother taught me that it is bad manners to count monney in someone else's pockets. I still think she's right.

My mother taught me that it is bad manners to count monney in someone else's pockets. I still think she's right.

slow down a little bit! if I see correctly most posters talk about Yashin's greedy behavior

and huge expectation without a lot to back up.

to state it this way: your mother most certainly taugh you to work hard and put some effort if you are paid with good money. didn't she?

now Mrs Yashin most certainly didn't. and that's the thing about the money we're talking about here, I'd say

Edited by akustyk