• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
edicius

Balsillie group accuses Bettman of forcing Preds to break off talks

Rate this topic

Conspiracy!

Nah, I believe Balsillie in what he's saying, because Bettman came out and said he doesn't want the team in Hamilton. He prefers if they do move to go to Kansas City, because of the new arena.

It'll be interesting to see how much longer this saga continues. I'll bet Puerto Rico get's an NHL franchise before Balsillie gets one in Hamilton.

how and why is bettman still the commissioner after all of his BS?

Because Bettman is a puppet, and the team owners are the puppetmasters.

The greediest owners like Bill Wirtz and Jeremy Jacobs love Bettman, and they play him like a flute because he's such a wuss. They basically have control over whatever he does. The owners are Bettmans bosses.

Sigh... I don't think Bettman will be going anywhere anytime soon. The fans may hate him, but the owners love him. And when was the last time Bill Wirtz and Jeremy Jacobs actually cared about the fans?

Guest Crymson

It honestly wouldn't surprise me. It also wouldn't surprise me if Balsillie is just grasping at straws here too.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/stor...&id=2943361

I don't doubt it. Hamilton sold THOUSANDS of season tickets on the mere SPECULATION that a team would move there, and suddenly Leipold isn't interested in selling?

No, Bettman's just a moron who wants a team in K.C. for goodness know what reason.

how and why is bettman still the commissioner after all of his BS?

Bettman is still commissioner because of douchebag owners like Leipold.

I don't doubt it. Hamilton sold THOUSANDS of season tickets on the mere SPECULATION that a team would move there, and suddenly Leipold isn't interested in selling?

Hamilton is up to 16,000 and 80 Corporates Boxes.

16,000 is Nashville's $$$ break even point, and Hamilton has already reached that with, as you say, SPECULATION.

It'll be interesting to see how much longer this saga continues. I'll bet Puerto Rico get's an NHL franchise before Balsillie gets one in Hamilton.

The way Baldsilla keeps pissing off the NHL brass, the Pens sooner move to Antarctica then Balsillie gets to own any NHL franchise.

Bettman is still commissioner because of douchebag owners like Leipold.

Yup, if the owners didn't like him, Gary would be out on his ass.

The way Baldsilla keeps pissing off the NHL brass, the Pens sooner move to Antarctica then Balsillie gets to own any NHL franchise.

That's because most of the NHL owners are a bunch of Dinosaurs

That's because most of the NHL owners are a bunch of Dinosaurs

The NHL ownership is a closed private club. Would you want to admit a member who refuses to respect your club's rules, traditions and customs, and is quick to involve the legal system and the media into what was supposed to be an in-house dispute? I can't really blame the owners. Baldsilla should have been more patient and diplomatic, instead of brash and confrontational. I wonder how he succeeded in business with that approach.

i got crucified in another thread for suggesting this very thing. i feel ... vindicated :-)

Certain people think that blaming the NHL's problems on Gary Bettman is a silly thing to do. It's the owners who are greedy that's ruining the game, Bettmans just a puppet. etc. etc. It's a funny thing to me, because before the lockout people were saying it was the players. Saying the scope and depth of the crap the NHL has become is Gary's fault, paints you as a conspirator, looking for a "roswell" in the NHL. I hope this opens some peoples eyes. I really truly hope this blows up huge in Gary's face. I hope this forever stains him and at best lays the framework for his departure. It won't, but a guy can dream. Now i'm sure someone's going to come on here and tell me, i should blame bill wirtz or something. You're entitled to your opinion. The owners are not Bettmans boss, Bettman doesn't have a boss, at least not one that will do anything about what he does. That's the problem. Absoutle power corrupts absolutely.

Guest DetroitIan

Bettman is such a scumbag. It will be a great day when the NHL finally has a competent commish. But as long as Bettman is stearing the ship, we're all gonna continue to have to put up with this constant bulls*** from him. He should do the league a favor and step down.

Im all for NHL in Canada...

When nash. became a Expansion team...... everyone including bettman knew it was a great idea.......

If the team re=locates........ KC will have the same think happen to them in 5 years......... Then it will be Vegas

MOVE THE PREDS TO HAMILTON OR HALIFAX (where hockey is literally a lifestyle and not just a sport)

If Balsillie had kept quiet, played by the rules and actually been willing to plunk down some cash to enter a binding agreement, then he'd be the owner of this team right now.

Instead he defied all of the rules and never completed a binding agreement.

Blaming it on Bettman is a foolish cop-out for people who are pissed about not getting a team. Everything the NHL does requires a vote by the BoG, it's not like Bettman can just make any rule he wants and it automatically becomes so.

So far the one group that is ready to enter a binding agreement and put down the necessary cash to do so is the local group. Leipold has to go for the sure money, not to mention being able to end up as the good guy.

Balsillie is just whining now, he messed up the Penguins deal, and then goes and messes up the Preds deal even worse. Rumor has it that he'll be going after the Thrashers next, if he hasn't learned how to get a deal done yet and ends up missing out on a third team, then you certainly can't blame it on Bettman.

F respect for the rules or anything, right? As long as He's Canadian and a billionaire, he should be able to do whatever he wants, and screw tradition and the rules.

God forbid a spoiled billionaire can't get his way, even if he tries to throw money at the problem.

I think everyone is being blinded by their hatred of Nashville as a market\team. Think about if Balsille was attempting to take the Blackhawks to Hamilton instead? I mean, who cares about tradition and the rules right? He'll make the Hawks a good Canadian franchise, right?

I don't have anything against another team in Canada, but I'm also not blind to the fact that Balsille has gone about this the wrong way TWICE now. If he's not yet, he may have screwed himself out of ever owning an NHL franchise.

I thought these were a couple of interesting points from the article:

The Tennessean hockey writer John Glennon has reported that potential owners say the team would need to average 16,000 in paid attendance over 41 home dates to break even. The team has never approached that number since its inception.

At some point you have to address the idea that the market in Nashville simply may not have enough support for a profitable franchise.

The six Canadian teams -- Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver -- currently generate one-third of the 30-team league's revenues.

I'm guessing Toronto is the majority of that revenue. But it goes against the perception that most of the canadian teams are basically charity cases because it's that country's sport. They're more than carrying their fair share in the league.

F respect for the rules or anything, right? As long as He's Canadian and a billionaire, he should be able to do whatever he wants, and screw tradition and the rules.

God forbid a spoiled billionaire can't get his way, even if he tries to throw money at the problem.

I think everyone is being blinded by their hatred of Nashville as a market\team. Think about if Balsille was attempting to take the Blackhawks to Hamilton instead? I mean, who cares about tradition and the rules right? He'll make the Hawks a good Canadian franchise, right?

I don't have anything against another team in Canada, but I'm also not blind to the fact that Balsille has gone about this the wrong way TWICE now. If he's not yet, he may have screwed himself out of ever owning an NHL franchise.

What traditions and rules exactly has he stepped all over?

It's not even a similar situation. The Preds have never had a profitable franchise in that market. If the Hawks weren't such a crapfest (and if they had a better owner), they'd have a huge fanbase.

If Balsille's going to shell out that money to buy the team, can you blame him for wanting to move them somewhere he thinks he can turn a profit?

Edited by haroldsnepsts

look a few things here would ya?

If Leipold was told not to sell to balsillie, would he have enacted the out clause in the lease?

If the NHL was involved, could they have told Leipold to go ahead and sell to Balsillie, but not invoke the clause? that would save face for bettman by keeping the preds in nashville WITH a billionaire owner.

After Leipold asked the NHL not to consider Balsillie's offer, he said he was going to sign a letter of intent with del Biaggio. But he never did, and now he's talking to the local group. Why isn't del Biaggio complaining about tampering?

...maybe, just maybe it's because Balls and Boots both saw that the fans are stepping up and will 'cure' the lease, thus barring them from moving the team within the next 4 years, and they decided they don't want to wait and/or deal with the legal mess it would bring from the city?

some people need to start thinking for themselves instead of always using the convenient "Blame Bettman!" story for every single thing that they don't like.