• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BeeRYCE

Brian Rafalski = Larry Murphy?

Rate this topic

Okay, everybody, take a walk back to memory lane and think about how AWESOME Larry Murphy was for us.

Him and Lidstrom had that natural chemistry, he was a huge part of making our powerplay notoriously deadly, and was just overall effective. Could Brian Rafalski do the same thing?

The way I see it, Brian Rafalski is another Larry Murphy. He is valuable on the PP, and one of those playmaking defenseman with awareness in our own zone. If he develops that natural chemistry with Lidstrom like Murphy did, I don't see anyway in stopping us.

I just had to start this thread because as I thought about it, I pictured Brian Rafalski being another Larry Murphy, which is a very, VERY good thing.

I was thinking the same thing.

X is just like X from a dozen years ago!!!1!!!! Um, no he's not. They're individuals.

i hate comparing players to other players from the past Brian Rafalski = Brian Rafalski

While I see the meaning of the comparison and the similarities... I will have to agree with the past two posters. It's a different player, in a different time, and the game is played in a different way as well.

I do, however, agree that Rafalski is going to exceed a lot of expectations around here. He IS better than Schneider defensively, and just as equal offensively. He will fit in quite nicely and get along with Lidstrom too.

Okay, everybody, take a walk back to memory lane and think about how AWESOME Larry Murphy was for us.

Him and Lidstrom had that natural chemistry, he was a huge part of making our powerplay notoriously deadly, and was just overall effective. Could Brian Rafalski do the same thing?

The way I see it, Brian Rafalski is another Larry Murphy. He is valuable on the PP, and one of those playmaking defenseman with awareness in our own zone. If he develops that natural chemistry with Lidstrom like Murphy did, I don't see anyway in stopping us.

I just had to start this thread because as I thought about it, I pictured Brian Rafalski being another Larry Murphy, which is a very, VERY good thing.

I do that all the time.

Rafalski fits perfectly in the Wings' system. I have a feeling he's going to exceed most people's expectations.

Agree!

I think Rafalski is a more complete player than Murphy ever was.

And Agreed! Rafalski is definitely a more complete player then Murphy, no question about it.

I'm not comparing Murphy to Rafalski saying their the same player, I'm just thinking if Rafalski can be as effective as Murphy and help the team in a significant way. (2 cups, wink wink, nudge nudge ;))

Agree!

And Agreed! Rafalski is definitely a more complete player then Murphy, no question about it.

What's wrong with you. Murphy is a Hall of Famer, so Rafalski has a long way to go before he winds up there. However, in the present, Rafalski is a better player than Murphy was when he came here since he was several years past his prime, while Rafalski is still in his prime.

I think Rafalski is a more complete player than Murphy ever was.

Totally disagree....we Wings fans saw Murphy at the later stagers of his career when he could barely skate any more, so he came across as specialized (but still very good at what he could do.) But Murphy was one of the league's elite defensemen in his prime. Murphy was a Hall of Fame lock even before he put on the Wheel, and I don't think you can say the same yet about Rafalski.

What's wrong with you. Murphy is a Hall of Famer, so Rafalski has a long way to go before he winds up there. However, in the present, Rafalski is a better player than Murphy was when he came here since he was several years past his prime, while Rafalski is still in his prime.

Totally disagree....we Wings fans saw Murphy at the later stagers of his career when he could barely skate any more, so he came across as specialized (but still very good at what he could do.) But Murphy was one of the league's elite defensemen in his prime. Murphy was a Hall of Fame lock even before he put on the Wheel, and I don't think you can say the same yet about Rafalski.

Barnes' comment is referring to the fact that he is more complete in all aspects of the game. Not that he was a better player. Gretzky was not a complete player, Coffee was not a complete player, Orr was not a complete player, Murphy was not a complete player, but few would argue anyone was better than them at the time. They were the absolute best in a certain aspect of the game.

Rafaski is fairly solid in all aspects of his game. Not the best in any but solid.

It seems like he'll be taking Schneider's spot, which means he won't be playing with Lidstrom. Murphy was a terrible skater, which is one of the reasons why I think he paired so well with Lidstrom - you're able to pinch up and join the rush more because you know you've got a guy that'll still be skating to the blue line by the time the puck heads the other way.

Rafalski drives me nuts on the PP - everytime I see a Devil's game, it seems like he shoots right into the d's legs rather than trying to find a lane. I'd rather have a shot go wide and potentially get a bounce off the boards than have a shot go right into a players legs and either a) fall dead to give the other team possession or b) deflect right out of the zone.

It seems like he'll be taking Schneider's spot, which means he won't be playing with Lidstrom. Murphy was a terrible skater, which is one of the reasons why I think he paired so well with Lidstrom - you're able to pinch up and join the rush more because you know you've got a guy that'll still be skating to the blue line by the time the puck heads the other way.

Rafalski drives me nuts on the PP - everytime I see a Devil's game, it seems like he shoots right into the d's legs rather than trying to find a lane. I'd rather have a shot go wide and potentially get a bounce off the boards than have a shot go right into a players legs and either a) fall dead to give the other team possession or b) deflect right out of the zone.

So are you saying that Samuelsson should be on the 1st PP unit instead of Rafalski?

I disagree. Rafalski is effective on the powerplay because he's not afraid to put the puck on net, even if he doesn't have time to set up a good shot. It creates a lot of chances for the forwards down low. It worked for Gionta, and it'll work for Holmstrom.

After he had lost his blazing speed? :lol:

He sure as hell has GOT to be a faster skater than Murph!

Isn't everyone? (and I don't mean just NHL players, I mean everyone).

So are you saying that Samuelsson should be on the 1st PP unit instead of Rafalski?

No, I'm saying that I liked what Schneider (I'm not a huge Schneider fan, bytheway, and I'm glad we have Rafalski instead of him) did on the PP - that if a lane wasn't open to the net, he'd fire it off the end boards for a rebound. I like the fact that Rafalski is willing to put the puck on net, but I think he tries to force it too often instead of taking an extra second. I remember a game against Ottawa where Chris Phillips blocked like 4 consecutive shots of Rafalski on one PP. Granted, Phillips blocks like 28 shots a game, but Rafalski just kept winding up and firing low from the same angle and the same spot on the ice. I'm just asking for a little flexibility.

But anyway, I went to the gym last night and there was a woman on the stairmaster - it reminded me of Larry Murphy skating with her arms and knees pumping up that high. I think Rafalski is a better all-around player than Murphy is (Murphy made up for his skating with his intelligence), but he won't have nearly the same effect on Lidstrom, specifically, like Murphy did.

I never saw Murphy play, but he sure comes off as an idiot when he's on FSN :P

I don't get FSN Detroit, so I don't know what he sounds like, but he was one of the smartest hockey players around when he played.

He will be paired with Lilja, Lids is getting Kronner the old Swede Gold medal pairing! Or maybe Lids gets Lilja again, well I don't think that Lids and Rafalski will be a pairing 5 on 5.

Murphy had over a 1000 points before he became a Wing, I'll be happy if Rafalski has over a 1000 at the end of his Wings career.

He will be paired with Lilja, Lids is getting Kronner the old Swede Gold medal pairing! Or maybe Lids gets Lilja again, well I don't think that Lids and Rafalski will be a pairing 5 on 5.

Murphy had over a 1000 points before he became a Wing, I'll be happy if Rafalski has over a 1000 at the end of his Wings career.

I hope Lidstrom doesn't pair with Rafalski, because in 2004 when he paired with Schneider, his offensive numbers went down since Schneider took some offense away from Lidstrom. I thought that was the reason he didn't win the Norris that year.

I hope Lidstrom doesn't pair with Rafalski, because in 2004 when he paired with Schneider, his offensive numbers went down since Schneider took some offense away from Lidstrom. I thought that was the reason he didn't win the Norris that year.

Well, Rafalski isn't a shooter like Schneider was and while I agree with you in that I'd rather not have Rafalski with Lidstrom, I'd actually guess Lidstrom's numbers would go up.

I never saw Murphy play, but he sure comes off as an idiot when he's on FSN :P

I don't think Murph is an idiot, he just has trouble articulating his thoughts from a broadcaster's standpoint. Murphy knows a lot about the game, but it doesn't always come across as that when he is on the air. Besides, it's tough to fill the shoes of Mickey Redmond as a color commentator. I will say that Murph was a better player than announcer though for sure.

Edited by GoWings1905

There are too many variables to make an accurate comparison.

Larry Murphy got the bulk of his career points playing for the Penguins in the early 1990s. Back then the scores were 7-5 and he got to play with Lemieux and Jagr.

Rafalski could be a late bloomer because he started his professional career playing in Finland. When he made it to the NHL he played for the defence-first New Jersey Devils. The last 6 seasons in NJ, Rafalski scored over 50pts. twice and 40pts three times (he had 36pts. the year he only played 69 games). Remember too that Scott Niedermayer and Scott Stevens ate up most of the ice time for Jersey defencemen during those years.

The last two seasons Rafalski played all 82 games, so he is durable (unlike other Detroit defencemen not named Lidstrom). Now just imagine him next season when he no longer has a leash around his skate blades? 65 points career year?